Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2021, 09:48 AM   #141
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: Chevy cut-away 6-window shortie
Engine: 6.0L Gasser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Gerschafer View Post
How do you like the Silverado seat? Looking to get an IS chair in our '95 bus, it only has a lap belt

Sorry it's been quite a while since I've been on the boards. I asked the wife about the seat, since she's the primary occupant, and she likes it! The only issue we have is that since we have a handicap bus, there's a step up from the cab to the rest of the bus where the seat is mounted. As such, she can't see very well out of the windshield, even after reclining. Not a huge issue, but a bit of a bummer. The seat itself is working out really well, though, and the bracketing for the door handle works perfectly as an ottoman, with a little extra cushioning, of course!

Chris

Old 08-04-2021, 09:50 AM   #142
Bus Nut

Wow - it's been about a year. I was actually more busy than normal over this past year - a true blessing given the state of the world. The bus took a back seat, and we're now looking to move, so not a whole lot of progress to share. However, I do have 3x 100 watt panels on the roof, and we painted what's done on the inside. I'll have to get some photos of the updates when I get a chance. It's also nice to have the ceiling and lights in and working!

Chris
Old 08-26-2023, 12:00 PM   #143

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Transtar
Chassis: Chevrolet Express 3500
Engine: 8 Cyl
Rated Cap: 16
Great thread! Lots of awesome information- would love some updates on your build!
newbieschooli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 12:15 PM   #144
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Chevy Express Hi Cube Bus
Engine: 6.0l
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieschooli View Post
Great thread! Lots of awesome information- would love some updates on your build!
Ugh..unfortunately my build was stopped. The contractor had so many health and marital issues, that he eventually took the money and ran. 🤬 I'm hoping to get it started again, but am worried it may happen again. Since then, I've read so many horror stories and I am not that mechanically inclined to do it myself.
Evey_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 12:22 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey_c View Post
Ugh..unfortunately my build was stopped. The contractor had so many health and marital issues, that he eventually took the money and ran. 🤬 I'm hoping to get it started again, but am worried it may happen again. Since then, I've read so many horror stories and I am not that mechanically inclined to do it myself.
That's horrible, sorry to hear that. I know this is going to be a long process and hoping to get through the registration/insurance nonsense in the next month or so. NJ is a PITA.
Old 08-26-2023, 12:30 PM   #146
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
the 6.0 is a good engine and shares all the same parts as an LS 6.0 but is an LQ4 engine exact same design as the LS but the LQ is all cast iron block and heads and the LS is all aluminum to cut weight but every part is interchangeable.
the hardest part on ours is being in a van cutaway chassis. alot of mechanics shy away from van stuff because of the access.
what parts of your build are you stuck on?
dont give up throw the basics in it and hit the road.
your build plans will change as you use it.
sorry my profile shows a big bus but i also have an 04 chevy shortie that i am building now.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 01:44 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
the 6.0 is a good engine and shares all the same parts as an LS 6.0 but is an LQ4 engine exact same design as the LS but the LQ is all cast iron block and heads and the LS is all aluminum to cut weight but every part is interchangeable.
the hardest part on ours is being in a van cutaway chassis. alot of mechanics shy away from van stuff because of the access.
sorry my profile shows a big bus but i also have an 04 chevy shortie that i am building now.

I'm just getting started, in fact my bus doesn't come until Tuesday .

I'll start a thread for it, I'm sure I'll be soliciting some opinions. Seems like the general consensus to start the project is to look it over mechanically and then dive into gutting out the school bus specific equipment. My bus is coming down from NY state so I know I'll be dealing with a lot of rust issues, probably why I got such a good deal on the thing. I'm excited, this project is going to encompass carpentry, welding, fabrication, mechanical repair, paiting, and electronics.
Old 08-26-2023, 01:56 PM   #148
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Chevy Express Hi Cube Bus
Engine: 6.0l
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
Hi, not sure if you're talking to me or newbie, but my biggest issue rn is the roof vans the contractor installed are leaking and ruined some of the inside wood. I covered it with a tarp and am trying to figure out who I can trust. Can't do anything else before that's done. Then replace some of the wood, and a few other projects. Sigh. I mut admit, I do feel defeated.
Evey_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 11:28 AM   #149
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey_c View Post
Hi, not sure if you're talking to me or newbie, but my biggest issue rn is the roof vans the contractor installed are leaking and ruined some of the inside wood. I covered it with a tarp and am trying to figure out who I can trust. Can't do anything else before that's done. Then replace some of the wood, and a few other projects. Sigh. I mut admit, I do feel defeated.
Ugh... hopefully you can get it sorted out. Stick with it!! Hopefully you planned your ceiling a bit better than mine as well. I dread the day I have to remove the ceiling to access something.

I haven't logged in for a long time, either, but saw the update on the thread. The bus is still no further than a couple years ago. We got out of NJ, bought a farm several states away, and there are still more important projects on the farm than the bus, so it's "on hold". However, it does a great job hauling the cattle trailer when I need it to! As it sits, it doesn't the job for weekend getaways, as well. The bus is so versatile!

Chris