Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2017, 05:26 PM   #1
Skoolie

Good adhesive for shuttle interiors? Epoxy?

I need to make attachment points for plywood bulkheads etc, what adhesive would you recommend to attach to the fiberglass interior of a shuttle bus?

Bluespoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:15 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Liquid nails has several different formulations for different materials. I used Liquid Nails for marble and granite to glue my poly-iso insulation sheets to the fiberglass. Regular Liquid Nails should work fine for plywood.

The interior fiberglass walls in my Eldorado Aerotech hold a sheet metal screw real well. If I didn't drill my pilot holes big enough I could twist off the head of the screw.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:11 PM   #3

I've found that Loctite PL Premium works well to attach insulation to the walls and Fast Grab PL Premium for ceiling insulation. As roach said screws are great for things that can be screwed.
DriverDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:15 PM   #4
Skoolie

I am removing the thin plywood on the ceiling and then will be insulating, there will be no way to put in screws without making a hole in the roof. I really have doubts that construction adhesive can glue 2x4 or .5" plywood to the fiberglass overhead, but if it will glue two by lumber, then I can attach plywood to that, likely will use .25" ply over reflectix and rigid foam insulation.

I am also building a barn door for the interior and need to install a header, the problem with epoxy is that it doesn't flex very brittle. I see I should experiment, but hoping someone has faced the same problem successfully.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:46 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I like the PL too.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 12:14 AM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I like the PL too.
I will try it and see if it works, should be removing the ceiling and insulating within a day
Old 01-31-2017, 07:24 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluespoet View Post
I will try it and see if it works, should be removing the ceiling and insulating within a day
Are sure you need to do that? My shuttle has foam insulation unlike skoolie bus' that have bat insulation.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:27 AM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: E450 Ferd
Engine: 6.0L Diesel
Rated Cap: 20 window lickin Jeffies
I'm hearing that you need to bond in stringers to accept fasteners for your inside skin. If so, here's what I'd do:

Epoxy resin thickened with colloidal silica or flocked cotton fibers. This after cleaning the fiberglass w degreaser, scuffing w a red Scotchbrite sanding pad, and wiping down w acetone. Be aware that this permanent, so I would bond in high quality wood and not just that soft crap from Home Depot.

West System has all the info you need:
WEST SYSTEM | Use Guides
Goatherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:40 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
What brand bus body do you have? Unless you have one of the molded bus bodies there must be some sort of structural members holding up the fiberglass walls/ceiling.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:33 PM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711 View Post
What brand bus body do you have? Unless you have one of the molded bus bodies there must be some sort of structural members holding up the fiberglass walls/ceiling.
It is called a Startrans, common mfg around here.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:37 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
It is called a Startrans, common mfg around here.
Mines a startrans too. It has a steel ,square tubing frame with foam insulation between the fiberglass. Very well built.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:45 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Is "Startrans" related to "Starcraft"?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:28 AM   #13
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I have no idea
Old 02-01-2017, 11:52 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
NO ! Not even close to the build quality. I have read many complaints about starcraft, also known as starcrap.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:36 PM   #15
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled01 View Post
NO ! Not even close to the build quality. I have read many complaints about starcraft, also known as starcrap.
I suggest you don't buy one then. I have mine for 7 yrs now and am supremely happy, before that I had a 1984 Starstrans that I was happy with, like any vehicle of any manufactuerer they need to be maintained. Think about it, It is a Ford Chassis with a Ford Drivetrain except the engine is a Ford branded International Diesel Engine. Startrans makes the fiberglass body and no doubt the transit interior and seats which we conversion folks rip out. I have zero complaints and I live in the wet Pacific NW. My opinion doesn't come from the Web, but my experience with 2 different Startrans busses which now is about 20yrs worth. However that doesn't make my opinion better, just different as my vision and needs are different than yours.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:10 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
I suggest you don't buy one then. I have mine for 7 yrs now and am supremely happy, before that I had a 1984 Starstrans that I was happy with, like any vehicle of any manufactuerer they need to be maintained. Think about it, It is a Ford Chassis with a Ford Drivetrain except the engine is a Ford branded International Diesel Engine. Startrans makes the fiberglass body and no doubt the transit interior and seats which we conversion folks rip out. I have zero complaints and I live in the wet Pacific NW. My opinion doesn't come from the Web, but my experience with 2 different Startrans busses which now is about 20yrs worth. However that doesn't make my opinion better, just different as my vision and needs are different than yours.
Cool, this is the first good thing I have heard. And since you own a starcraft I do believe you.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:58 PM   #17
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled01 View Post
Cool, this is the first good thing I have heard. And since you own a starcraft I do believe you.
In return, I have no doubt to doubt what you have said, it is just doesn't line up with my experience. I do think there is value in considering what Startrans brings to the table or any other mfg. They buy the chassis and drivetrain. Then they build and install a body which they fill with stuff. So when considering a Startrans against any other mfg we are basically considering how well it holds up. Transit airporter busses have to deliver quality for about ten yrs in service and it is understandable they can last much longer. So, when we evaluate busses so much is how much overkill do we need? It is like the worst basketball player in the NBA is still a fantastic basket ball player.