Old 02-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #91
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Chevy Van G30
Engine: 6.2L
Re: Green Energy Project

I believe Bullwacker007 is right, I think he said it was a 4L80E but its not on the paperwork. Next time I'm underneath I'll have to remember to look. So I picked up the bus from the shop Thursday (final bill was $3080) and it felt alright, no noises and shifting better. But yesterday I took the bus out on the highway to go camping and 10miles later im overheating!! It was too late to get to the shop and we were pushing it to make our hike so I limped it to the trailhead. Then today we got back to the bus and over to the nearest Aamco but they were booked up till Monday. So we're spending yet another weekend waiting for the shop to open back up.
In the mean time I have been pulling my hair out trying this or that to figure out whats wrong. Nothing appears to be leaking out anywhere, I'm getting heat blowing from the vents so the thermostat (which I replaced back in Austin) should be open, I bought a new reservoir cap today but no change, Oil dipstick is black and at level so we dont have a cracked header... unless one of the hoses is collapsing I can only assume there is a clog somewhere.. but why would that magically appear right after they finish working on it? My other theory is that we aren't getting out of 3rd gear and the high rpm's maybe are making it run hot, although I don't actually know that would happen. But I can't feel it shift into overdrive (4th) and it sounds MUCH louder now than it did before on the highway, kind of has a whine to it. And I drove a back road home from Aamco where we only drove 45mph and we didn't have a problem at all, so it may just be the overdrive. I think that makes more since given we didn't have an overheating problem before I dropped the bus off. guess we'll find out Monday...

Here's some pictures of my one night hiatus from mechanical problems..

Big Easy does not blend in well in the desert..

Because of the overheating we got a late start and couldn't make it to Geronimo's Cave.. maybe next time.

Weaver's Needle

We camped here with our friend Trenton (far right) and had two visitors share smores with us before they hiked back down in the dark. Desert camping is so different than anything I've done in VA where your always under trees. It was so bright last night we could have hiked on without flashlights and been fine. It was actually the first time I've camped without a tent too (VA has too many mosquitos and I usually get destroyed without the safety of a tent), fun times.
dangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:37 AM   #92
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: ElDorado
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: 7.4 liter 454 Chevy
Rated Cap: 24

You can check to see if the trans is in overdrive; travel at 50mph and shift it down to drive; if it down shifts then it was in OD.
There are two speed sensors on the drivers side of the trans; front one for the speedo and rear is for computer.

I had a 1996 C2500 Chevy service truck that was stuck in 2nd and wasn't throwing any errors.
I fixed it after 500.00 in parts.
Bullwhacker007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:40 AM   #93
Bus Crazy

also always check to see if tranny has right fluid level.. and the stuff doesn't smell burnt.
If you don't know whether the transmission or the engine is causing the overheating... first ya gotta isolate which one it is.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #94
Mini-Skoolie

FINALLY! So my hunch was correct, we were'nt getting into overdrive and that's why we were running hot. Turns out our throttle cable either needs some adjusting or replacing, but it was only showing 58% on his computer and he had set the sensor as if it was working 100%. So when the sensor picked up the difference it automatically took the throttle down to 35% which prevented us from shifting into overdrive (forgive me if this sounds off, i'm doing my best to remember how the mechanic explained it to me). So he adjusted the sensor to what our peddle is doing and we're good to go. He said fixing the throttle cable is not imperative, and that we're actually probably getting better gas millage (i assume because its only allowing 58%fuel usage?) than if we fixed it... but then he also said he's not too familiar with diesel's and they may all be set like that he wasn't sure. All I know is we can't wait to get on the road and be moving again! Hopefully our next post will be from CA!!
Old 02-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #95
Bus Crazy

Not good for tranny when not adjusted correctly...
Old 02-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #96
Site Team

Not sure about that trans since its more computer controlled,but on say a 700r4 the throttle cable determines the amount of "pressure" applied to the bands...incorrect pressure will kill that tranny,glad you got it running tho'
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #97
Mini-Skoolie

We made it! WEST COAST!!! The drive through the mountain range after El Centro was pretty brutal, we had to stop dozens of times to keep from overheating and the wind was insane. Even on flat ground we couldn't get above 45mph. I definitely want to replace that cable if it means we'll get more power out of our engine. Here are a few pictures of the drive and our new spot:

First fuel up of Bio-Diesel from a pump. Anyone know what the Flex-Fuel stuff is? It was cheaper but I've never heard of it.

Wind Turbines!

Crossed through some dunes.

Our new spot!

New doggie friends!
Old 02-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #98
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

Flex fuel is gasoline and alcohol mixed 85%/15% if memory serves. That's for gassers. You don't want it in your rig - ever.

Very cool shots.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #99
Mini-Skoolie

Interesting... I'm glad I didn't try it in ours then. I'll have to read up on that, wonder why you would want to thin down gas with alcohol? Just to use less gas? hmmm..
Old 02-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #100
Almost There

Year: 1977
Chassis: International Harvester

My new truck is flex fuel. I've found that you get worst mpg with flex fuel than you do with regular gas so the savings at the pump ends up being lost to more gas being used. I went through a couple tanks of flex fuel then went back to normal gas because it wasn't really a cost saver.
RavensOracle is offline   Reply With Quote