Old 08-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Re: Green Energy Project

Hey Bullwhacker --- Can you post more info on the solar stickies? Who? Where? etc. ?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:15 AM   #42
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas? Safe-t-liner
Engine: 6bta5.9
Rated Cap: 78

deck looks awesome, i am totally reconsidering using the roof space more after seeing this one.
Its either that or grab a trailer and weld on a hitch.

But if you have more guests stay with you on a trip they could set up a tent and camp out up there on the roof!!
rjz5400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #43
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjz5400
deck looks awesome, i am totally reconsidering using the roof space more after seeing this one.
Its either that or grab a trailer and weld on a hitch.

But if you have more guests stay with you on a trip they could set up a tent and camp out up there on the roof!!
" Duck! Bridge!"

my bus build http://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:05 PM   #44
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Chevy Van G30
Engine: 6.2L

I have seen the thin film panels and they look awesome but they're also more expensive than the regular panels, at least everywhere I've seen them sold. Unfortunately our budget is already crunched as it is, so I went ahead with the flush mount glass panel route. I decided to cut cost we're only going to run the fridge off solar, the pump will be hooked up to the bus's electrical or may have its own battery that gets trickle charged off one of the hot wires on the trailer hook up. My original quote from NAWS was pretty comparable on price per piece, but they never returned my emails when I told them I needed to scale back for cost so I went ahead and bought the guppy rv kit off wholesalesolar.com, a company in CA. Heres the kit specs:

So now the only other major purchase for the bus will be maybe 1 or possibly 2 100-130AH batteries. Anyone know a good place I can check for a local distributor in VA?

***Oh and a tip for anyone thinking of putting a deck on their roof, if you use decking boards... screw them down as soon as you get them! Don't think that you'll have time tomorrow, because something WILL come up everytime you say that and then 2 weeks go by and all your boards are warped and a pain in the butt to put down. ....
dangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #45
Mini-Skoolie

Solar panels arrived today! I'll post photos when I have them laid out. Not much news on the bus.. I did give the trailer a test run hauling furniture to store and discovered either 3 bolts were missing originally or they fell out on the way I had to replace the rim and bolts and bought a spare, I'll have to do better on checking to be sure they're still in tight. I can't wait to get the fridge working tho! Our date of departure is likely being pushed to Oct1 due to replacement roommate situations.. but I found a side job I can do in the mean time to start paying back my credit card. Can't wait to get on the road!!
Old 09-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #46
Mini-Skoolie

Made our first veg. oil collection! Ipanema graciously donated 30gallons to the cause. 12v pump worked great, had to switch to a no-kink hose for the inlet side but after that everything went smoothly. Only 110gallons to go!

12v. pump running on the alternator, we'll have a spare battery in the future

And here's a picture of the solar panel and charge controller, still haven't had time to start putting them on but I bought two 96AH batteries (interstate srm-27), not the greatest but the best I was able to find locally. I may have to buy another if we find the fridge is going out a lot, but this should give us about 2 days worth with no charge.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #47
Mini-Skoolie

The weather keeps messing up my plans but I managed to get the hatch for the veg. tank cut in, still needs a latch to keep it shut. Also built a cabinet around it that will hold the fridge and our stove. Hopefully this week will be clear weather and I can start assembling the solar panels.

Reused the door that was in above the driver seat for the hatch.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:04 PM   #48
Bus Crazy

Suck the oil from the top (maybe 6" down )-and dont take the bottom foot from the barrel. Anything bad you dont want in your system ends up there. Water-flour-grunge-etc. And wrap you tank in bubble type insulation.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:29 PM   #49
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the advice, I'm still working on getting the veg. filter set up on the trailer, I'll post pictures when its done. I was wondering what peoples experience has been with different types of oils. So far I've got some soy, peanut, and sesame seed oil along with reg. veg. I've read on different sites that they all will work but anyone have any experience mixing? I've come down with a cold which has really made working under our deadline a drag but hopefully it'll pass soon. Our blog is up also, although we've only made a few postings. http://www.bigeasybus.blogspot.com We hope you'll follow us along on this journey, I'll continue to post on skoolie as well though no worries!
Old 09-21-2011, 06:30 AM   #50
Bus Crazy

It all burns the same. Feel free to mix it all together.