We are nearing the end of our stay in Baton Rouge, for details of our visit see our blog: bigeasybus.blogspot.com As far as bus news there has been a few learning experiences this month.
First, the filtering setup I tested at home did not work out for us for several reasons. Back in Richmond I had used the 12v pump to push veg. oil through 2 filters and the water separator resulting in a pretty heavy flow, but I had forgotten that the guy I bought the setup from had thinned down his oil with diesel. The filters were also only 30micron and 10micron, plus I was testing in the middle of the summer heat. When I tried to pump the oil I collected in the above photos I was using 2 new filters @ 5microns, the veg. oil was not thinned and it was only 60deg. outside, all of this resulting in only a trickle of filtered oil. That would have taken hours and hours and killed my battery so I have switched to gravity power. I still need to take a picture of the new setup but its much more simple. I'm pre-filtering through blue jeans into one barrel, then manually crank pumping into the second barrel through 16" bag filters @ 5microns (bought 25 offline for $80). It still takes some time but I'm not burning up batteries and I don't have to sit around monitoring anything. I'll describe the process in more detail when I get some photos.
Last week I had the bus idling while I was using a 12v pump off the engine to collect some more veg. oil. I started hearing splashing under the bus and discovered fuel erupting out of the relief valve on the veg. tank
after a day of taking everything apart and back and forth with greasecar I finally figured out that my supply valve was bad. The spring that was suppose to keep the veg. oil supply shut was hung up and therefore diesel was pumping backwards into my tank causing it to overfill. I sent them the bad valve and have since received a replacement but I'm a little discouraged and nervous about this $60 mishap (fuel lost and shipping) happening again..
Also, the plastic T's I had on the coolant line warped causing a steady leak so I replaced them with these way overkill heavy duty metal fittings.
Finally got the vinyl sticker on..
Lastly we decided we wanted to get some more exercise and were encouraged by all the bike riders in town that we finally got our own. I had to do a little adapting to the trunk rack for mounting on the bus but it works.
I've also started painting the bus.. more to come on that as well.