Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2008, 02:34 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Greenwood Woodwagon

Hey just finished (or close to it anyway) our conversion of a short bus for tailgating. We follow the Greenwood High School Woodmen in all sports -- Thus the Greenwood Woodwagon!

Link below to the conversion process and recent tailgate pics:
http://hickoryhusker.rivals.com/cont...938&CID=845875

HickoryHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:52 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Greenwood Woodwagon

hmmm do you really think i'm gonna buy a membership to look at the pictures of your bus????
swinada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:03 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Heavens no I didn't mean for anyone to subscribe. I run a high school basketball website that has nothing to do with school buses. I figured no one here gave a crap about Indiana high school hoops. I just put the photos on my website for storage sake.

I have the capability (or should) to make portions of the site free access, and that was what I thought I had done to the bus slide show.

I've been a member of this site for some time and have used much of the advice here to help me with this project. Just wanted to share my results.

I'm not a spammer...just an idiot that can't get the freaking premium/free portion of my site to click over.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:09 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Just tried again -- still no luck. I'm just going to pull the addresses off the slide show and hard post them here.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:33 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Let's try this --

Bus arrives...After a harrowing one way Greyhound Bus trip to East St. Louis, (a story unto itself) I drive this baby home fresh out of service from a school in Missouri.

145,000 miles on her, but ran great all the way home.

Chrome paint job -- Looked better already...but not by much.

Chromed out

A lot more scraping of decals and letters than I anticipated. thanksfully had many friends jump in to help.

Primer first -- Also two coats of Rustoleum 'Sand.' It's as close as I could get to Greenwood's Vegas gold.

Trimmed out bumpers and accents with more Rustoleum. Hunter green here.

Next step was to remove the seats. (It took a grinder -- I've never seen a bus full of sparks before) Then tape off the windows to paint the inside white. Here's my brave wife Patty. 12 cans of spray paint inside a short bus...good times

Taped off the dash board prior to painting.

Finished Dash

Cockpit all but finished. I even went ahead and painted the nasty rubber floors with balck Rustoleum. Looked super sharp and have been very easy just to wipe down to keep clean.

Added some super dark limo window tint, and then spent the next few days driving myself insane trimming to fit each window.

Black Rustoleum over old steps. You can sort of see what they looked like before above the steps.

Cut parquet floor tiles to fit. I thought this phase wouldn't take long. It did.

Finished some table tops from Lowes and dropped some cup holders in them. I found some RV table legs on Ebay for just a couple of bucks.

First official tailgate at Gwood!

Only decent shot I have of the rope lights I put up. Great effect at night.

Check out the Indian Creek bus in the background! I met the high school kid that owns it. Pretty rough inside still, but it looked like they were having a great time there as well.

Very sorry about the bad link earlier. I posted that, and then I didn't get on until today to check the feedback.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:16 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

wow alot of work dome there looks pretty nice now to have fun eh? 12 cans of paint inside? wow
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 02:53 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 454

Nice work! Thanks for sharing the pictures!
Old 10-10-2008, 12:36 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by HickoryHusker
Check out the Indian Creek bus in the background! I met the high school kid that owns it. Pretty rough inside still, but it looked like they were having a great time there as well.
If I had a bus back in high school.....
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:40 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Greenwood Woodwagon for sale

My oldest has now gotten older, and we are no longer tailgating to high school games. This shorty is now for sale. Still in great shape. Green and gold but will take paint easily if you wish to change the color. Since last update installed a nice stereo/CD player with super clear and loud box speakers for tailgating pleasure. Also have added a bench storage area in the back for coolers/grill etc. I hate to part with her, but life does change. Great memories though.

1993 GMC Thomas - Runs great, regular oil changes, service etc. Tires in great shape. Ready to roll on to the next tailgate. $5800. Please email HickoryHusker@yahoo.com. Located in central Indiana.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:55 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

looks fun!

no hassle with the lights still on it?
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:01 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Just south of Indy. As far as the lights, no problem. I have a switch that kills them while driving, but I can turn them on and have some fun with tailgating while parked etc.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:26 PM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Bluebird
Rated Cap: 16

Try posting the bus on the main recruiting board of rivals.com. I subscribe to that site and it has tons of college football fans, maybe someone is interested? Painting the dash gave me an idea to do that for my bus.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:47 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HickoryHusker
Just south of Indy. As far as the lights, no problem. I have a switch that kills them while driving, but I can turn them on and have some fun with tailgating while parked etc.

was thinking more the school bus stop lights on the top of the bus
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote