Old 12-28-2008, 01:04 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: Greetings!

From this it would appear that most people with a 5.9 Cummins are getting 10+ as long as they aren't trying to keep up with the Porsches out there. One with an MT643 tranmission and highway gears (4.56 or numerically lower) will do better than one with an AT545 tranny and lower (numerically higher) gearing.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:41 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Wayne/Lifeguard
Chassis: International
Engine: 345 c.i. International
Send a message via Yahoo to SkoolieDude

Hello, I've been following your post and I agree that a type a bus built on a van chassis would be ideal in most situations. I would love to have one and convert it to 4 wheel drive for the ultimate camping rig. However i just came across on ebay what would probably be my ultimate bus compromise, in terms of length, size and capabilities. It is with some remorse that i post this link, as i will be very jealous of whoever is able to get this..sigh... but i have faith that it will be there again when i am ready for another project heres the ebay link, it ends on december 31..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other...8#ht_500wt_963

If i were in your position i would jump all over this! Good luck!

1985 22' Wayne/lifeguard body, IHC chassis, 345ci, 4 speed
1985 Ford Ranger 4x4, 2.3l I-4 turbo diesel, 5 speed
1975 Mercedes 240D, I-4 non turbo diesel, 4 speed
1995 Volvo 850 Turbo, I-5
...And counting...
SkoolieDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:07 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Now THAT is a cool rig. It should have short bus handling thanks to the stubby nose and short wheelbase, but is actually big enough to haul the equipment AND sleep comfortably. The lift in the back is super cool. Usually they are in front, but in back would make it ideal for loading equipment. It probably has a 6.9 or 7.3 engine in it. They are both decent enough engines and the fact that Ford used them in the pickups makes parts availability much better. Two tires will set you back some money though and it is a ways away. I'm not sure what a person could expect for mileage out of that rig, but it might be worth shooting the seller some questions.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:49 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Wayne/Lifeguard
Chassis: International
Engine: 345 c.i. International
Send a message via Yahoo to SkoolieDude

I understand that money can be tight on a bands budget, but can you and your band sleep in your van rig? Is your 10mpg pulling a trailer? If your not sleeping in your van, you have to factor in sleeping expense into your total budget. Also, with a bus like the one from ebay, its large enough to fit a kitchen area with a small range and fridge, which means you can cut a little more off your travel expense with food you can bring.

I would imagine this rig may even have a cummins 5.9 in it. I'm not familiar with all the models of bus that was an option, or which chassis manufacturer used it, in which case you could probably squeeze 15mpgs out of, perhaps? I would imagine even if the bus had the 6.9/7.3 its more then 8mpg..I think maybe 11 or 12..anywaay...just more thoughts =^)

1985 22' Wayne/lifeguard body, IHC chassis, 345ci, 4 speed
1985 Ford Ranger 4x4, 2.3l I-4 turbo diesel, 5 speed
1975 Mercedes 240D, I-4 non turbo diesel, 4 speed
1995 Volvo 850 Turbo, I-5
...And counting...
SkoolieDude is offline   Reply With Quote