Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2019, 12:06 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
haven't found THE bus I want yet, but

haven't found THE bus I want yet, but thought I could do a bit of advance planning of space needed to make my camper/toy hauler - I have decided that a dog nose, gas powered automatic bus will fit my needs best - what I'd like to find out next is how far is it from the front bumper to behind the drivers seat? - should be a simple matter of adding and subtracting from that point to know what length of bus I need

how far is it from the front bumper to behind the drivers seat on a dog nose bus?

Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 02:52 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
It depends on the manufacturer. There is no set dimension.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 05:08 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
It depends on the manufacturer. There is no set dimension.
thanks - is there an approximate dimension - something within a few inches?
Old 03-05-2019, 07:13 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post

how far is it from the front bumper to behind the drivers seat on a dog nose bus?
Mine's a shade under 9 ft. from front bumper to back of driver's seat.

Have patience.....you'll find what you want eventually. Took me 18 months.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:48 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
Mine's a shade under 9 ft. from front bumper to back of driver's seat.

Have patience.....you'll find what you want eventually. Took me 18 months.
thanks - if I wasn't so broke at the moment, I might not be as patient - lol
Old 03-05-2019, 08:30 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
If you are broke at the moment and wanting to do a skoolie, then you will see how far broke a person can go.

My bus is a mid-sized 7 window dog nose bus which is 28' bumper to bumper. Behind the driver seat to rear door I got about 20 foot by 7.5 foot wide.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:40 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
If you are broke at the moment and wanting to do a skoolie, then you will see how far broke a person can go.

My bus is a mid-sized 7 window dog nose bus which is 28' bumper to bumper. Behind the driver seat to rear door I got about 20 foot by 7.5 foot wide.
oh- I know what broke is, I have sled dogs - when asked how much does it cost to have sleddogs, the answer is 'everything you've got' - lol - I wouldn't even consider 'adopting' a skoolie if it wasn't for the fact that I have enough stoves, sinks, toilets, furnaces, etc, on hand to likely convert a couple of them - one winter of saving motel bills and restaurant costs for 4 people should about pay for the conversion thanks for the measurements
Old 03-05-2019, 08:46 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post

easy peezy, with your measurements, that tells me l need a 36' bus to have a 12' garage, and 20' of camper space - simple matter of stacking beds - lol
Old 03-05-2019, 09:02 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
easy peezy, with your measurements, that tells me l need a 36' bus to have a 12' garage, and 20' of camper space - simple matter of stacking beds - lol
If your bus is 36'OA, and you have a 12' garage, and 8-9' from the drivers seat, you'll only have 14' of camper space. Bunks take up at least 6', leaving 8' for everything else.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:33 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
If your bus is 36'OA, and you have a 12' garage, and 8-9' from the drivers seat, you'll only have 14' of camper space. Bunks take up at least 6', leaving 8' for everything else.
typo on my part - 12 + 8 = 20, leaving 16' +/- I can make that work - my 24' C class motor home was sufficient and I doubt it had much more than 16' of usable space
Old 03-06-2019, 09:56 AM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas / international
Engine: Dt 360/ spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 42
Another 28' 7window Thomas international dognose.
SolomonEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:35 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
like others have said, my front bumper to behind the drivers seat is 9ft in my International. 8 window 29 total feet, with 19.5ft of living space.

I am curious about the gas powered choice. is it because you are up north in the cold and worry about diesel gelling? might be hard to find gas powered bus unless it is older. most of them I have seen are diesel. best of luck!!!

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:34 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovobay View Post
like others have said, my front bumper to behind the drivers seat is 9ft in my International. 8 window 29 total feet, with 19.5ft of living space.

I am curious about the gas powered choice. is it because you are up north in the cold and worry about diesel gelling? might be hard to find gas powered bus unless it is older. most of them I have seen are diesel. best of luck!!!
seems to be a few gas powered buses available in western Canada and buses both gas and diesel with 5 speed standard transmissions are fairly common - I'm also hoping that the buses from Alberta and Saskatchewan will have the heavy insulation package and perhaps long gearing because of the distances some of them have to drive - my plans for my skoolie/toy hauler are to head north in the winter - lots of -40 nights and not a lot warmer in the day time - settlements are far apart, sometimes over 100 miles, so if I have a breakdown on the road I'd rather be driving something I have a chance to fix myself, or with help from the nearest settlement - do I know what I'm doing? - not really, just trying to reason it out from my past experience driving motor homes or trucks, or loaded pickups pulling trailers in -40 -50 weather - it can get dangerous if you haven't planned ahead well - of course I do carry my own tow truck - lol
Attached Thumbnails
towing 1.jpg   towing.jpg  
Old 03-06-2019, 03:07 PM   #14
Skoolie

I had a friend that confirmed the temperatures you're speaking of. He moved furniture and said if he touched any metal with bare skin, it would peel off instantly.
Kinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:24 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinson View Post
I had a friend that confirmed the temperatures you're speaking of. He moved furniture and said if he touched any metal with bare skin, it would peel off instantly.
exactly, 10/30 oil won't pour, diesel trucks are left running 24/7 - oil changes on diesel run equipment are done in a hurry without shutting off the motors, cars and pickups are left running in safeway parking lots as the owners shop for groceries - propane freezes - I was in Ft Simpson in the NWT to race the same year the Pope was to fly in, in honour of something or other - they had to cancel the visit that year because of the cold - I had to use a tiger torch under the oil pan to warm up the engine enough to get it started, my 10-30 oil did no more than exhibit a blob of jelly when I tried to pour it and it had been protected from the weather in the back seat of my crew cab - houses were all heated by oil furnaces, and oil was twice the price than it was in southern Canada - as cold as it was, there were local kids, dressed in warm jackets, but not parkas, warm up pants, running shoes and ball caps that were rough housing and playing around the bonfire, while even the mushers were dressed arctic style - lol