Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2015, 11:42 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/hazys-bus-12678.
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Mercedes diesel
Rated Cap: Handicap bus (approx 30)
Hazy's Bus

I have been looking at buses for a while now and drooling at most of the conversions on here as well. My family (wife and three kids) are wanting to do more traveling and exploring in the summers each year. Why not make a sweet skoolie.
I pulled the trigger on a 2004 Thomas/Freightliner automatic with the Mercedes diesel. It has 170k mileage and was just pulled from service 6 months ago because of its age. Every thing appears to be in working order and the transportation supervisor said all the cross members were replaced last year. It's in pretty good shape considering it has spent a lot of years in western NY winters.
I am hoping to share this adventure with you all to help with insight, motivation and education. I have seen amazing buses on here and trust your experience will help me immensely.

What's one thing you would change if you had the opportunity to start over in skoolie construction?

Here's some pics
bus start - Album on Imgur

JJay

JJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:16 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Welcome!
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:04 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJay View Post
What's one thing you would change if you had the opportunity to start over in skoolie construction?
Get started now, summer will be here before you know it.

I got my bus in early June and needed it livable by late October, so I wish I had more time to do things right. If I had to do it over again, I would've made a lot more time to do it the right way. I would've taken out the inner bus skin and insulated better.
austin1989us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:23 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
one thing I would do different is build all my cabinets, beds, counters etc, anything that can be prefab, in a shop, then take them apart and reinstall in the bus., that way everything can be square, mush easier to work with when you can have your bus level.
gbstewart
Old 12-28-2015, 08:17 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Seat removal

Okay let's get started.

Seats out (man those suckers are bolted down well)
Tried to take the bolts apart but just ended up cutting the bolts off with a grinder.

http://imgur.com/a/G2ADM

Onto the ceiling tomorrow. Keep up the suggestions. Thanks all.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:36 AM   #6

Aw, wow have been dreaming about 7 window buses like this for the longest time, and you're also east coast! Can't wait to one day try and do the same. Just had to post to let you know I am very excited to see the process and transformation of this type of bus. I think they have a great size and stance, curious how much one of these go for around here, you say it is in good shape for new york roads?
rubitsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:32 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Pretty good

She has a little rust but I think pretty good condition. I plan to do some undercarriage work this summer after the conversion. (Preventative maintenance) When taking off bolts underneath it definitely looks like a vehicle that has been in ny for its life but has been maintained well. It came from a school district and was removed from service just because it hit its replacement year. So far I'm pretty happy with it so far.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:25 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

If I was told that the bus had new cross members installed then I would have run in the opposite direction.

You folks in the rust belt have a very different definition of rust than those of us out here in the west.

We think any rust, even a little bubbling of paint, is major rust.

My in-laws in MI think rust isn't bad as long as you don't see daylight through a panel.

Good luck and happy trails.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:05 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
If I was told that the bus had new cross members installed then I would have run in the opposite direction.

You folks in the rust belt have a very different definition of rust than those of us out here in the west.

We think any rust, even a little bubbling of paint, is major rust.

My in-laws in MI think rust isn't bad as long as you don't see daylight through a panel.

Good luck and happy trails.
Your Mother in law is right. LOL
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:49 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah it's hard to be a vehicle in ny older than 5 years without rust. Haha. with a little preventative work under the bus she should be good for another 10-15 years. I need to do a little wire brushing in some of the door corners as well. Working on sides of the bus and the wheel chair lift after New Years then onto tearing up the floor.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:48 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart View Post
one thing I would do different is build all my cabinets, beds, counters etc, anything that can be prefab, in a shop, then take them apart and reinstall in the bus., that way everything can be square, mush easier to work with when you can have your bus level.
gbstewart
The same. Make sure you're square + level before you start. And anything you build, spend one minute thinking "How would I go about taking it out?" The day you find you have to pull out a closet to get at a hose that failed, you wish you put a little more into that thought.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 02:08 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Okay first off NY has been cold the last week or so and my time in the BUS has diminished greatly. (hard to push yourself out there to work when its in the teens.....brrrr) But despite this i have gotten a decent amount done. I have a plan....check removed seats...check, wheelchair lift...out, heater lines...out, roof panels...removed, and side panels...removed.

Luckily most of it was screwed in so it was just some time with the cordless drill but I did have to grind out a bunch of rusted screws as well as a couple rivets. In addition the side panels run continuous under the windows and didn't want to remove the windows so I cut the metal just below and its a little rough but will do for now. Although I think I need to re seal some of the windows as they seems to have small leaks (rust spots below them) Goal is to remove floor this week (not suppose to be above freezing though...brrr) and visit DMV to get over my fear of getting it registered.

Questions

What type of caulk is used to seal the windows? Any good threads on how to remove and reseal the windows? Youtube videos?

Pics on the link (can't figure out skoolies upload mechanism)
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

JJay
Old 01-20-2016, 03:45 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
My personal preference for just about any & all sealing tasks on a bus is a product called "Seam Sealer". You can get it at any automotive finish supplier (i.e., paint & body supplier). It is very tough stuff that remains flexible & resilient over time and is paintable. Really good stuff.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:24 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...0seam%20sealer
Old 01-20-2016, 04:59 PM   #15
Bus Geek

And one more. This is the OEM grade brand I typically pay around $14 bucks a tube for...now National Tool has it for ten bucks. Cool.

Black Auto/Marine Silicone Sealant at National Tool Warehouse
Old 01-31-2016, 07:40 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

A day closer

Father-in-law helped this weekend. Floors up woo! That vinyl was a bear but after that it came up fast. Grinder to cut off all the nails and screws that were stuck from metal trim from the isle runner. Unfortunately like I expected I have a little patch work to button up this week. (These pics are gonna scare you west cost people). I figured I would have patch work but was hoping for a biblical miracle when pulling up the floor but ohhh well.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

This week patch floor and seal and get ready for foam board and plywood. Planning for 1/2 inch foam board and half inch plywood on top. Don't want to lose too much head room as my 6' self already is pretty close to the ceiling.

Also hopefully going to pull up roof vents and re seal them as they leak pretty bad right now.

Everyday a little closer.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:48 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Ok it's been awhile since I have updated you all. Been working hard despite the winter because I rented some space at a local shop. This allowed me to clean and patch floor pan, paint, insulate and add new wood floor, remove red and Amber upper lights, reseal a window, patch one of the roof vents and reseal other hatch, insulate entire bus and go through all of the bus wiring. Weeeeeeeee!

On top of that I hurt my back real bad in the middle and could barely move for 2 or 3 weeks. Fortunately my dad and brother in law gave me a hand a few days. It's been an adventure but haven't regretted a day. Now it's on to walls and furniture building and basic wiring. Some pics for you lurkers.

https://imgur.com/a/4icQS

Also she has acquired a name "Hariet"
Old 05-22-2016, 08:54 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

It's been too long since I have posted but it's because I basically work on the bus with any free time. I thought I would show some pics for you all.

https://imgur.com/a/wVQPA

I have all of the furniture built, electric in, counters done, table in, lights are in, working on ceiling now. It's been a wild ride. Still have gas system and water system and paint on the bus. Any suggestions are welcomed on the paint or anything you see. Thanks all. jjay.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:06 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Lookin' good! You have been busy. Keep the pix a'comin'.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:45 AM   #20
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: International
Engine: t444e
How many are your rear bunks supposed to accommodate?
ChiliChzPoopTart is offline   Reply With Quote