Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2015, 09:51 PM   #21

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
When you say open the whole rear of the bus do you mean the full width and height or...?

If you don't need full width or full height, why not use the side lift door in place of the current rear emergency door? Most lift doors are about 30%-50% larger than rear emergency doors. And then just skin over the lift door hole.

As far as manual transmissions are concerned, they have amounted to less than 1% of all bus production over the last 20-years. So they are out there but they are extremely few and far between.

Using two of the lift doors like barn doors is not a bad idea. I did want full width and as close to full height. I know the curve will be a problem.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:04 AM   #22

On the road again ... soon!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 10-05-2019, 10:03 PM   #23

I have acquired and paid for one year of insurance for a school bus conversion. They have pictures of both the outside and inside of the bus so there is no monkey business. I will not have a wood stove in there. I will not have a roof rack on there. Both of those questions were asked and answered. I also started the DMV paperwork for a motorhome title. I also need to secure a parking spot closer to my house then where it's parked now. It would take a couple hours in each direction with no traffic to get there and that will not be an easy task.
I was at Ikea today and bought the table top for $9. The Measurements are approximately 23 by 39. Not fancy but new and it will give me something to work with.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 10-06-2019, 03:26 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Excellent to get the insurance and processing for a hotorhome started. Sucks that you have to drive so far to "visit" her though. I hope you do find a closer place.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:44 PM   #25

Year: 1989
Coachwork: GMC Vandura 3500
Chassis: Micro Bird
Engine: 6.2 I6
Rated Cap: 18
I thought everything was BIG in Texas?
Stanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:19 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanimal View Post
I thought everything was BIG in Texas?
That's what they say, but I've been told if you give a Texan an enema when they die, you could bury them in a shoe box.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:35 AM   #27

I have secured a parking spot at the Makerspace where I will do the majority of the conversion work. They will charge me 200 per month which is fine by me because one round trip is at least 4 to 5 hours travel time alone. Now will take me 1 hour to get to the bus where I can work until I finish and then one hour back home.

I have decided to paint the bus with Rust-Oleum by the gallon from Home Depot. The paint Guru at Home Depot was very helpful and gave me many tips. Now I just need to get the bus moved.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 10-09-2019, 03:06 AM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
I have acquired and paid for one year of insurance for a school bus conversion. They have pictures of both the outside and inside of the bus so there is no monkey business. I will not have a wood stove in there. I will not have a roof rack on there. Both of those questions were asked and answered. I also started the DMV paperwork for a motorhome title. I also need to secure a parking spot closer to my house then where it's parked now. It would take a couple hours in each direction with no traffic to get there and that will not be an easy task.
I was at Ikea today and bought the table top for $9. The Measurements are approximately 23 by 39. Not fancy but new and it will give me something to work with.
That's refreshing. Usually when a forum member asks the paint person at home depot they end up painting the bus with Glidden latex house paint.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:05 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
That's refreshing. Usually when a forum member asks the paint person at home depot they end up painting the bus with Glidden latex house paint.
I was surprised at the help I received. I told them what I wanted, showed them a pic of the bus and they were happy to give advice. I looked at flooring also. The rigid insulation was the pink stuff or the other stuff that I dont the name of. I think the pink would be better for the floor.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 10-09-2019, 11:44 AM   #30
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
I have secured a parking spot at the Makerspace where I will do the majority of the conversion work. They will charge me 200 per month which is fine by me because one round trip is at least 4 to 5 hours travel time alone. Now will take me 1 hour to get to the bus where I can work until I finish and then one hour back home.

I have decided to paint the bus with Rust-Oleum by the gallon from Home Depot. The paint Guru at Home Depot was very helpful and gave me many tips. Now I just need to get the bus moved.
I am envious.....

When I started on my conversion I was a member of an awesome makerspace. I had great plans for the resources there. Both equipment and community knowledge.

I pulled my seats out then life happened and I move 300 miles away.....

I have not heard much discussion here regarding maker spaces. I wonder if some of our members my have a maker space near them that they are unaware of?

Check it out in your area.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:22 PM   #31

The name of the Makerspace is 180studios.org

It is an awesome place. Check out the website.

http://www.180studios.org

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 10-13-2019, 02:05 AM   #32

I paid the bus a visit today. I haven't seen it in a couple years. The good news is that it is still there. The bad news is the batteries were completely dead. The other good news is I forgot about the two solar panels I had in the bus. I assume they are 100 watt panels. With the one that bought from Costco, that will make 300 watts total. The other bad news is I could not get the combination lock open so that meant a trip down to Harbor Freight to buy some bolt cutters. The other good news is that I can buy Deka batteries from Bett's for a little over $80 a piece.

Several things I learned today where, the measurements, there's an angry elf that works at the parts counter at the international dealer in Stockton, the Central Valley is an ugly place, I used almost 11 gallons of gas to get there and back.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 10-13-2019, 02:20 AM   #33

The width on the inside is 7 ft 6 in. The height is 76 in. From the back door to just behind the driver's seat is a little less then 14 ft.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/member...cture22610.jpg

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/member...cture22613.jpg

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/member...cture22614.jpg

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 10-18-2019, 11:20 PM   #34

I have purchased several items recently for the conversion. The first what is a 100 gallon Rubbermaid water trough. That will be the shower enclosure.

I bought a sink from Lowe's. It was about 1/3 of the cost of the online price.

I also purchased my floor covering. That was also about 1/3 of the regular cost.

I also picked up 2 vanities for free off of Craigslist but I'm afraid they might be too small. We'll see when I try them in the bus.

I hope to pick up the bus on Sunday and move it to the Makerspace.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...0-gal-capacity

You Gotta Let Me Fly