Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2016, 04:33 PM   #1
Scared to Post

How to increase Fuel mileage 1998 Blue Bird Mini. 6.5l Detroit Diesel

Hello friends.

I have a 1998 Chevy/GMC Blue Bird Mini that has: 6.5L Detroit Diesel. This engine uses Indirect injection as its fuel delivery to the pistions. This link pic/info https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Bird_Mini_Bird.

I had the transmission replaced when I get it. Besides that Everything in it is stock.

I seem to be averaging 9.5 to 10 MPG on average.

I cant find what fuel economy it should be getting anywhere and I have been searching quite a bit.

I've been spending lots of time reading this forum and have seen a few references to changing the rear differential gearing (or something in the back end) and would like to know what ratio my has now and what I could change it to to increase MPG.

Beyond that, any little tips of mods that could be done to squeeze even 1 MPG overall outa this beast.

Would stopping the flow of the water to the various heater cores while driving in anyway increase the MPG?

I travel constantly so every MPG I save is very worth it to me.

My RPMs max around 3700 but I generally run around 2150.
My automatic transmission wont change into OverDrive until 55 mph around 3200 RPMs. I idle at 600 while resting and 700 while coasting a hill in neutral.

Thanks Friends!

Lostwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:15 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Engine: 6.5L Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostwon View Post
Hello friends.

I have a 1998 Chevy/GMC Blue Bird Mini that has: 6.5L Detroit Diesel. This engine uses Indirect injection as its fuel delivery to the pistions. This link pic/info https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Bird_Mini_Bird.

I had the transmission replaced when I get it. Besides that Everything in it is stock.

I seem to be averaging 9.5 to 10 MPG on average.

I cant find what fuel economy it should be getting anywhere and I have been searching quite a bit.

I've been spending lots of time reading this forum and have seen a few references to changing the rear differential gearing (or something in the back end) and would like to know what ratio my has now and what I could change it to to increase MPG.

Beyond that, any little tips of mods that could be done to squeeze even 1 MPG overall outa this beast.

Would stopping the flow of the water to the various heater cores while driving in anyway increase the MPG?

I travel constantly so every MPG I save is very worth it to me.

My RPMs max around 3700 but I generally run around 2150.
My automatic transmission wont change into OverDrive until 55 mph around 3200 RPMs. I idle at 600 while resting and 700 while coasting a hill in neutral.

Thanks Friends!
It seems to vary so much from vehicle to vehicle. Some Chevy trucks with the 6.5L get mid to upper teens, but they aren't carrying around a big huge heavy box on the back either. Keeping the speed/rpms low and staying out of overdrive will help. Good luck, I love my 6.5L so far!
Married couple full-timing in the American West-April 2018
zelseman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue bird mini, detroit diesel, fuel economy