Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2010, 09:46 AM   #1

Hurri-Hot heater question

I have a 1989 Bluebird shorty and need some insight into a heater question. My bus is equipped with a Hurri-Hot heater to the left of the driver's seat. This thing gets hot as the devil while the bus is running (to the point that it is painful for my leg to touch it). It is summer and I have not adjusted the knob. My question is, can I turn the water flow knob "off" without screwing things up when the weather is warm. I have no experience with a heater of this kind so I apologize for my ignorance.

I'll post photos of the bus later today...finally have the paint and everything the way I want it. Just waiting for the camera to charge.

scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:57 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Re: Hurri-Hot heater question

Normally water valves are installed by the factory or the next owner to turn off the water flow back to the heater. If you bus does not have them you can just cut the inlet and outlet lines that run back to the heater install a valve on each without messing anything up.

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:18 AM   #3

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Just make sure you are putting the valve in the right hose. If you are not sure, ask a mechanic. Cut off the flow on the wrong hose and you might turn your motor into a boat anchor.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

If you close the knob by your left foot, it won't screw anything up. If you have a heater pump or boost pump switch, make sure this is off (not that you'd be using it in the summer, but that could possibly be damaged by running with the valve closed). The underhood valves will help too, but it shouldn't be too bad with just closing the inside valve, and you'll have the option to re-open it while driving if things cool down or you need your defrosters.

The way the heaters work is by running hot antifreeze from the engine to heat exchangers (heater cores) in the driver's heater, step heater, and underseat heater(s). The switches turn on electric fans that blow air across the heater cores, spreading the hot air around. If you don't turn on the blowers, but leave the valves open, you still have 200 degree antifreeze being piped through the bus, which is why it feels like your left leg is about to catch fire. The cooling system in the engine is designed to keep circulating with the heater valves closed, so you won't damage anything.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:14 PM   #5

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

I didn't see the first post. I thought Steve's was the first. I was responding to to him writing about installing the valves. Many do not know enough about the mechanics of a bus. It was just a friendly warning to be careful.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:03 PM   #6

Thanks for the help so far...here's a photo of the valve in question:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 06-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

Yep, that's the one I'm talking about too. It's common practice among bus drivers to open and close those depending on temperature needs. Newer versions used a different valve requiring only a 1/4 turn, and I've seen some replaced for easier use.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:22 AM   #8

Turned the knob...not more summertime furnace on my left...awesome! Thanks all!