Old 05-06-2019, 11:38 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
I Need To Enlarge My Deck.

Just had the opportunity to chat with my neighbor from down in the tony, 50 amp end of the park. He's a retired welder.

The kind of welder that worked in commissioning nuclear power plants, so you know he's no slouch with a stick (or a MIG, TIG, wire, or purt near any other sort of welding there may be)!

I have been thinking of buying or renting a stick welder. Tho the last time I fused metal was an embarrassingly long time ago, in HS Metal Shop. My seams always looked suspiciously like an iron rabbit had just relieved itself...

Anyhoo, told him of my intent to put up an @ 8' X 20' roof deck, using square stock tube steel.

He rejoined with telling me about his stockpile of angle iron, and the rust reasons for why that'd be a better option.

Soooooo... Which would be the preferred material of choice? All of one or the other, or maybe a combination of the two?

I'm envisioning square for the pillars & posts, bare minimum, the studs mounted onto the ribs: at, or just above, the rain gutter.

And while my deck will be resting on the 2 transverse rails running the roofs' length, it's to be shimmed up several inches with square stock between them & the deck's underside.

Planning on removable rail posts that can be slipped into receiver collars on the pillars' top end (just above deck height), when not in transit.

[Not pertinent to the primary question, but to then connect them with running rails of turnbuckled rope/cable (better option for weight), or solid angle iron rails that can be fabricated to slip on (" " " strength). Feel free to chime in on that too, please!]

To minimize the the strain on my admittedly way limited welding skills, I reckon that the deck underlayment could then be constructed of pre-tapped angle iron, and then mostly bolted together in situ, with lock washers & LOTSA Lok-Tite on the threads.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:55 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by haz.matt.1960 View Post
My seams always looked suspiciously like an iron rabbit had just relieved itself...
'Stacking turds' instead of 'stacking dimes'.

Quote:
Soooooo... Which would be the preferred material of choice? All of one or the other, or maybe a combination of the two?
I was considering angle iron (before I decided to eliminate all that weight altogether) over tube stock.....seems there'd be little difference strength-wise, but angle would trap less moisture.

Quote:
[Not pertinent to the primary question, but to then connect them with running rails of turnbuckled rope/cable (better option for weight), or solid angle iron rails that can be fabricated to slip on (" " " strength). Feel free to chime in on that too, please!]
At some point I'll be adding conduit uprights with nylon rope stringers (for weight considerations). Conduit will drop through a hole in the decking and slide into a receiver mounted on the side of the joist underneath. Obviously not as strong as the solid rails you envision, but it would be something to grab if I was clumsy enough to tumble over it....the conduit should then bend slowly and gracefully and lower me gently to the ground.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:35 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Thanx for the reply! I get so few responses to my posts that I've started to gear my BO is somehow being transmitted over the Interweb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
'Stacking turds' instead of 'stacking dimes'
Seem to recall that the correct technical terminology was, "laying Bunny Berries."

Quote:
I was considering angle iron (before I decided to eliminate all that weight altogether) over tube stock.....seems there'd be little difference strength-wise, but angle would trap less moisture.
Agreed on the moisture trappage, even with caps and a weep hole. I remain unconvinced that angle trumps tube for the supports, particularly since I wanna park posts in them when camping for a while.
Connecting the frame seems more problematical with the angle stock.
I'm guessing your rethink on installing a deck came up unfavorably, thus, "eliminating weight"..?
If not, do tell!

Quote:
... it would be something to grab if I was clumsy enough to tumble over it....the conduit should then bend slowly and gracefully and lower me gently to the ground.
ROFLMAO
It sounds like a most idyllic way to spaz off over the side!
Me, I don't mind falling. It's the abrupt stop at the end that makes my a$$ drag...
Old 05-07-2019, 09:33 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

https://youtu.be/XmHWg3dhEGQ

couldnt resist........
~Pat~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:40 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

LMAO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Pat~ View Post
https://youtu.be/XmHWg3dhEGQ

couldnt resist........
From where do you suppose the title was inspired?
Old 05-07-2019, 07:56 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
I'm guessing your rethink on installing a deck came up unfavorably, thus, "eliminating weight"..?
If not, do tell!
No, I still built it. But while pondering 18' of angle iron bolted to the ribs, and 18' of 2 x 4 bolted to that as a joist, I realized that that much angle iron was unnecessary expense and weight, since it would only be bolted at the ribs. So I just used heavy-duty L brackets....bolted to each rib, joists bolted to the brackets, decking screwed onto the joists.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:12 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Think I'm seeing it... Are there any build pix already posted of your project I might peek at?
Quote:
No, I still built it. But while pondering 18' of angle iron bolted to the ribs, and 18' of 2 x 4 bolted to that as a joist, I realized that that much angle iron was unnecessary expense and weight, since it would only be bolted at the ribs. So I just used heavy-duty L brackets....bolted to each rib, joists bolted to the brackets, decking screwed onto the joists.
How long ago did you do the install, about how many miles since, and how's it holding up?

Inquiring minds want to know! (And I'm one knosey mo-fo...)
Old 05-07-2019, 08:16 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Think I'm seeing it... Are there any build pix already posted of your project I might peek at?How long ago did you do the install, about how many miles since, and how's it holding up?

Inquiring minds want to know! (And I'm one knosey mo-fo...)
Link to his build page is at the bottom of all his posts, go there and read the whole thread.
o1marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:48 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Not seeing no linkage, found the build thread on his profile.

272 entries...

I'll start perusing mañana!

iGracias, señor!
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Link to his build page is at the bottom of all his posts, go there and read the whole thread.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:52 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Not seeing no linkage, found the build thread on his profile.

272 entries...

I'll start perusing mañana!

iGracias, señor!
The bottom of his post:

The Busted Flush click on it.
o1marc is online now   Reply With Quote