Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2008, 09:56 PM   #1

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: 35c
Engine: 7.3L
Rated Cap: 12
Injector removal and Install E-350 van 7.3 diesel

Is it necessary to drop the engine on the van type short school bus E 350 7.3 L 1997 engine or is there enuff clearence to remove and install the install the injectors? Thanks - Marty

motorcyclemarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:51 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Goshen
Chassis: E350 Ford
Engine: 7.3 Power Stroke
Rated Cap: 10
Re: Injector removal and Install E-350 van 7.3 diesel

Should be able to do it.

Here's a diesel forum for E series Power Strokes too...
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f14/

What kind of problem are you having?
SD26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:50 AM   #3

My bus has poor acceleration. If I floor it the speed and rpms go down. I have to give it some fuel then let up on the pedal and let it shift up and then give it some more fuel. top speed is only about 50 mph after taking all day to get there. I was told it may be a injector o ring problem. No check engine light has come on. Thanks for any help
Old 07-11-2008, 11:35 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Goshen
Chassis: E350 Ford
Engine: 7.3 Power Stroke
Rated Cap: 10

If it has bad injector o-rings, you should find oil in the fuel filter bowl. That's my understanding.

The 7.3PSD is a great motor. Occasionally, it will frustrate you, but with as old as our first generation models are, there's a huge knowledge base on there on them.

I found out that one of my plugs that goes to the plugs that go to the valve cover harness is burnt. There are four of those plugs, and it is common. Sometimes, the harnesses under the valve cover go bad too, so I'm going to remove the valve cover and check it out.

There is an exhaust back pressure valve that can cause problems too. It will shut the door on the exhaust and make it to where it won't accelerate. I'd probably look at that first.

I have mine disconnected from the rod that actuates it so that it never operates. It's operated by an electrical solenoid that is actuated by the ECM based on engine oil temperature, the only thing the PSD uses for determinations, and a couple of other inputs. One of the inputs is a tube that gets loaded up with debris. Some completely remove the butterfly valve completely.

Maybe that gives you some ideas.
SD26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:17 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14

You can remove and replace all the injectors on the van with out too much trouble, except for the number 3 injector (passenger side second one back) this one you will have to remove the top portion first to get it to clear the firewall. The rest there is no problem. The site above is a good site for information and another good one is http://ford-trucks.com . Just ask your questions in the diesel section that applies to the year you have.

My thoughts on it are possibly a fuel delivery problem. Fuel pump fuel filter? I would think if there was an injector problem you would notice it with a rough idle. The exhaust back pressure seems like a very good thing to check first since yo can do so without spending money.

You might be able to find a user on one of those forums with a scan tool or buy a autoenginuity to scan it yourself using a laptop.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:35 PM   #6

Thanks for all the help guys. Problem - lack of power- turned out to be a stuck wastegatevalve (butterfly valve) in the exhaust line after the turbocharger. Freed it up and ran right up to 80 mph on the hight way.
Old 06-28-2022, 10:05 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Right on! I was thinking it was worse than that to get the injectors out.

I ended up getting a 2000 Econoline E350 XLT 7.3. 445k miles. Been great just researching ahead of time. lol. Im relieved. I was about to cut **** up if i had too. haha.
Fox Slider is offline   Reply With Quote