Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2019, 08:04 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: 6.4 liter Mercedes MBE 900
Rated Cap: 48 passenger
Take down ceiling and insulate? Totally your choice. I will say that I've never heard anyone say they wish they hadn't insulated so well. But LOTS of complaints about cold and condensation. Before I insulated my bus, It was ridiculously wet inside- ALL from condensation. I wasn't living in it, ie, not creating moisture, it was just from the day/night temperature swings "breathing" moisture into it. Now insulated (still building, no heat inside) and it's dry as a bone. If I'm inside working, the windows (original ones) fog up a bit. I'm really glad I insulated. Spray foam+thermal break+T&G pine. I'm building a rig to travel in, not live full time, but I still want it comfortable and dry.

Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:13 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Take down ceiling and insulate? Totally your choice. I will say that I've never heard anyone say they wish they hadn't insulated so well. But LOTS of complaints about cold and condensation. Before I insulated my bus, It was ridiculously wet inside- ALL from condensation. I wasn't living in it, ie, not creating moisture, it was just from the day/night temperature swings "breathing" moisture into it. Now insulated (still building, no heat inside) and it's dry as a bone. If I'm inside working, the windows (original ones) fog up a bit. I'm really glad I insulated. Spray foam+thermal break+T&G pine. I'm building a rig to travel in, not live full time, but I still want it comfortable and dry.
Yeah all my buses have sweated inside! Condensation sucks.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:58 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I have been (very slowly) been working on my bus for almost three years. I have had plenty of trouble trying to heat it with a propane heater with no insulation, in cold weather. It rained inside my bus. I understand why it did that.

What puzzles me is why I saw drips from the ceiling when I have not been in the in the bus, run heat or had rain in several days.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 04:29 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I have been (very slowly) been working on my bus for almost three years. I have had plenty of trouble trying to heat it with a propane heater with no insulation, in cold weather. It rained inside my bus. I understand why it did that.

What puzzles me is why I saw drips from the ceiling when I have not been in the in the bus, run heat or had rain in several days.
I get the drippy ceilings some mornings, too. Just condensation like morning dew. It's worse with the big hole in my floor.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:21 PM   #25

Year: 2011
Coachwork: International Aero Elite
Hi Johnny. I just finished watching all of your bus conversion videos. Extremely interesting and helpful. Thank You. I'm in the middle of mine now. Can't wait til summer, hoping its finished by then. I have a 21 passenger shuttlebus.
vi_king2013@yahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:57 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
The punch and chisel are included with the gun. I got about halfway through my job, then the tool broke, but HF replaced it with no issues ("Set it on that counter and go get a new one" was the extent of their return process ).

I used a 2 HP, 8 gallon compressor......didn't have to wait on it as often as I thought I would.
It seems that the HF air impact hammers only come with a flat chisel now:

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-im...g_q=air+chisel
https://www.harborfreight.com/medium...mer-61244.html

I guess I have to get a set like this as well: https://www.harborfreight.com/7-in-l...-pc-68276.html

Is the pointed one the one you use for punching out the mandrels? I'm actually sort of looking forward to this as a mindless activity.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:08 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
It seems that the HF air impact hammers only come with a flat chisel now:

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-im...g_q=air+chisel
https://www.harborfreight.com/medium...mer-61244.html

I guess I have to get a set like this as well: https://www.harborfreight.com/7-in-l...-pc-68276.html

Is the pointed one the one you use for punching out the mandrels? I'm actually sort of looking forward to this as a mindless activity.
yep pointy bit for mandrels.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:33 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post

Yes sir. Here's a great video of the process.....it was actually easier than shown. I was enjoying myself long before I finished. And the wall rivets were even easier.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adding insulation, insulating bus roof, insulation