Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2018, 01:25 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Ford 7.3
Insurance during conversion?

My ins. company won't insure my bus until the conversion is done and it's re-registered.
I'm in CA. Any ideas?

Fredinbelize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:03 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

it always varies state to state but you will most likely have to do a separate commercial insurance policy. I recommend progressive commercial. not sure with how it works in CA but you may be able to get "commercial vehicle for personal use", try that before the commercial.
smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:10 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Insurance offering vary considerably by state and by carrier.

What many (most?) of us do is secure a "commercial vehicle for personal use" policy.

In my case State Farm required that I send pictures showing that the seats had been removed. They wanted to make sure that I could seat less than 16 in the bus.

Cost for the policy is a bit over $300/year. When I get the conversion they will insure it as an RV and it will be quite a bit cheaper.

If you fail with your current carrier you may CALL Progressive COMMERCIAL and ask for the commercial for personal use policy. DO NOT MENTION CONVERSION.

Another option is to look for local independent brokers that can shop multiple carriers for a policy for you.

Good luck.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:11 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks.
That's what I will try next.
Progressive insures my RV and car but can't do the bus.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:51 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Sadly, PNW_Steve, Montana has obscenely expensive insurance. Perhaps it has something to do with the number of un-insured motorists or drunk driving incidents?
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:35 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredinbelize View Post
Thanks.
That's what I will try next.
Progressive insures my RV and car but can't do the bus.
Progressive COMMERCIAL is a different division or department than the folks that handle your homeowners and auto.

https://www.progressivecommercial.com

Many folks here have used them with good success. One caveat, you need to phone them. Don't try to do it online and don't volunteer that you are converting it.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:51 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84lug
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/i-...-ga-22233.html
Old 05-22-2018, 08:56 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyInTN View Post
Great resource for folks in TN or GA.

OP is in California.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:57 PM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Great resource for folks in TN or GA.

OP is in California.
missed that fact..

Old 05-22-2018, 08:59 PM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyInTN View Post
missed that fact..

If you are interested in checking with liberty mutual in CA could be worth your time.. just a thought.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks everyone.
As the bus is in a yard I think I will do a basic conversion first, then DMV, then attempt insurance again.
A friend of mine has the same bus and he had no issues.
He is trying to find his agents # for me.
He is also with progressive.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:13 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

So following everyone's advice I called Progressive commercial insurance and got insured for $700 a year.
Thanks again.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:48 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Pre-seat removal?

Hey, this may be a noob question, but didn't necessarily want to make a new thread for it - what did you all do for pre-seat removal insurance? Like, to drive it from purchase location to build location? Does this change for multi-state travel? Did you have to block over the school logos or get a CDL? What if you bring someone with you on your trip to get it?
Thanks in advance!
Josie
LoveBusTreatery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:44 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBusTreatery View Post
Hey, this may be a noob question, but didn't necessarily want to make a new thread for it - what did you all do for pre-seat removal insurance? Like, to drive it from purchase location to build location? Does this change for multi-state travel? Did you have to block over the school logos or get a CDL? What if you bring someone with you on your trip to get it?
Thanks in advance!
Josie
I contacted my insurance company by email and asked if the automatic two week coverage on vehicle purchases that my auto policy offers would extend to the bus. I provided the vin# in the email. My insurance agent responded "Yes, they are covered".

I drove home with the seats still installed and no CDL. I found out later that, in Washington State, you are required to have a CDL for any vehicle capable of seating 16 or more. Next time I will probably try and arrange to pull enough seats to get legal before driving home.

BE AWARE: Insurance offerings and licensing requirements vary considerably from state to state. Don't assume that answers you get from members in another state apply to you. do your due diligence.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:51 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBusTreatery View Post
Thanks in advance!
Josie
Some insurance companies will insure you for the trip home under your existing policy, check with yours to see. Standard procedure is to get a "commercial for private use" policy to get it home and build it under. Once it's got 4 of the 6 requirements to make it an RV or MH, you can then insure it as such. State Farm will not insure the "bus", but will insure the RV/MH. You should not need a CDL if you are not using it in a commercial operation in most states. The logos and stop sign, crossing bar, etc. will all need to be removed legally, but there's no worry about that getting it home.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:16 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

In my case I only had to drive it 49 miles to the yard.
I had the title changed over before the drive.
The guy I bought it from had it on his water truck company's insurance which was still valid until the end of that day.