Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2019, 11:33 AM   #1

Is it a Bus or a van?

I have found one of the multifunction activities buses for sale at a decent price with 68,000 miles on it. It has no traffic control devices installed on it. It is already painted white it rated at 14 passegers. Is this a bus or a van? I know I can drive 15 passengers or less with just my regular drivers license. What about plates and insurance?
Attached Thumbnails
w640h480 (1).jpg  

Mbinmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:17 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
every state is different... for instance in ohio they go on fitted seating capacity.. miuchigan goes on Built-capacity. huge difference in registration type. if the tag on your bus interior says capacity "18" in michigan means it classifies as a bus even you have only 1 seat...

your state rules are what you need to go on.. as well as rules of converting to RV differ as well if you are planning to convert it..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 04:54 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
They mess up sometimes when they change the title. I asked for mine to be titled as a RV and it came titled as a bus. The shuttle bus I bought a few days ago is a church bus and came titled as a Motorhome. It pays to do some research and be sure they are doing what you request.
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:15 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
You should be able to register it as a van.
Does title say G3500 anywhere?
I've got a similar older G30 that had bus on title for body type, but I asked my town clerk to go with van and she did.

Insured as a G30 van, (non commercial), as well.
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:38 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktari View Post
They mess up sometimes when they change the title. I asked for mine to be titled as a RV and it came titled as a bus. The shuttle bus I bought a few days ago is a church bus and came titled as a Motorhome. It pays to do some research and be sure they are doing what you request.
I got some interesting info while insuring my "MotorHome" . I asked the difference between a MH and an RV. I was told the RV category consisted of 2&3 wheeled motorcycles, ATV's , travel trailers, etc. If it is contained and self motorized, it becomes a motor home.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:40 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
My "bus" is similar to yours. It is a 2007 Chevy express 3500. It's a Collins built on a van chassis. When I had it titled in my name I did it as an RV in Kansas. Like others have said, every state is different. Good luck!
Old 09-09-2019, 12:13 PM   #7

Thank everyone for your responses. I got an official answer from the State of Missouri this morning. If it is under 15 passengers it can be licensed as a private vehicle. In Missouri you have to go full RV to license one as an RV. I just wanted something a little bigger than a cargo van that I could stick a bed in the back, a table and some storage.
Mbinmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:17 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbinmo View Post
Thank everyone for your responses. I got an official answer from the State of Missouri this morning. If it is under 15 passengers it can be licensed as a private vehicle. In Missouri you have to go full RV to license one as an RV. I just wanted something a little bigger than a cargo van that I could stick a bed in the back, a table and some storage.
The less than 16 passenger rule is standard across the country for commericla designation. Seems agents in Mo. are actually doing their job. Many can walk into DMV and say it's an RV and walk out with registration. The issue arises when you try and get RV insurance on a vehicle that is not converted.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote