Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2018, 11:47 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Is it really worth having a Bathroom on a Short Bus / Shuttle Bus?

In the market for my first bus, definitely gonna be a shorty or a shuttle bus as that's all I have space to park.

I'm not going to be full-time, at least for the next year or two. This will be more for weekend trips to the beach in SW Michigan, maybe some camping trips up to the UP, etc.

I'm debating whether it's worth having a bathroom ie toilet and shower. Would make something very small tiny toilet in the shower pan. I like not having to stop while on the road, my gf hates using portapotties and public toilets so that's a bonus as well for her. Also one of our favorite camping spots has no running water and no stores within about an hours drive so would be nice to be able to take a quick shower and use a real toilet.

Curious from anyone else who's had a short bus or shuttle bus. If you didn't have a bathroom did you wish you did, and/or, if you did have a bathroom did it go unused?

rulesforrebels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:18 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
you can make a toilet real easy and just throw the bag out when you get home. for a shower you can get a portable and just hang it off the side of the bus just bring enough water with ya. add permanent things as you go. enjoy your bus and use it as much as possible and everything will fall into place
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:23 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
I had a cassette style toilet that never got used. Always just stopped somewhere or used the bathroom at campground/atv park. For showers we use a stainless pump sprayer that comes with a propane burner to heat water. Works really well. We use a privacy privy tent when showering. Everything packs away real small. I do this for week long trips, full time, I would want a real bathroom.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:56 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
I want a real bathroom for comfort. Also plan on full timing. If i was only using it for vacations, I'm completely fine using facilities or digging a hole in the woods. Ive only had to do that once actually, but its not so bad. Just keep toilet paper
Old 03-14-2018, 11:13 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
I have a small camp toilet. It sits on a wheel arch for a bit of extra height. Tiny tiny bathroom with a pocket door. Mama is real happy she doesn't have to go out at nite when camping.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:53 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
One of the biggest perks in driving a camper type vehicle is having a toilet trailing along behind you at all times! Oh, and a means of making good coffee. That aspect is also very important and tends to tie in with having an accessible toilet
Old 03-15-2018, 08:32 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
I love my Nature's Head composting toilet - I wish I put it in sooner. I know many use a self-made composting toilet - or small camper toilet - but I love the nature's head toilet.
As for a shower, I have a 5 gallon Coleman shower bag hanging off my bike rack outside the bus. I use it - but not very often.
I agree that the luxury of traveling with your house is the ability to stop anywhere to use the toilet.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:19 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000 Genesis 34’
Engine: 7.6L turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 35 (wheelchair bus)
I’m still window shopping and planning, but including a space for a toilet is part of the plan. I’m also trying to plan an indoor/outdoor shower option via hose pass through, so that I’m only dealing with the moisture when there’s lousy weather and a pressing need to be clean. Happy wife, happy life.
StuartBenbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:37 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
One of the biggest perks in driving a camper type vehicle is having a toilet trailing along behind you at all times! Oh, and a means of making good coffee. That aspect is also very important and tends to tie in with having an accessible toilet
I can't start my day without my coffee and yes sir you are right, coffee and a toilet are both critical parts of my morning routine.
rulesforrebels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:08 PM   #10
Skoolie

I am not at the "We have and have converted a bus" stage yet, but I do camp, a lot...

On the toilet, that is a key function, but maybe not necessarily something you want in the bus 24x7. A portable job you can put in a privy tent when at camp helps move the smell away from you....

As far as showers go. I have a Zodi, which is great, except it's not super mountable. If I were to do it again, I would grab an Ecotemp L5 and a proper pump. Hook it up to a kitchen faucet spray hose type rigging so you can turn the water flow on and off, and you are good to go in that privy, and have a mountable heater once you decide going that way...
dbhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:48 PM   #11
Almost There

Year: 2003
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: MBE 904
Reading your post it seems like you already know what you're going to want. Keep your girl happy and your life will be easier lol.

As far as personally, I've been on the road for a few years now and only had a toilet in my old van for 2 days. The second day on the road I didn't have it fully secured and hit the brakes too hard. It slid forward and tipped over. Deodorized water went everywhere. Luckily I didn't use it yet. I got rid of it after that. Only had one emergency where I couldn't make it somewhere. You find yourself either out in the middle of no where, where it doesn't matter; or around public restrooms. You can usually tell when you're going to have to go and plan accordingly. It's not like it sneaks up on you all the time. As far as an indoor shower, that'd be nice!
Gatorbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:46 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
We had a teardrop camper for many years, no toilet, no shower. Have a pickup truck camper now with tiny shower and toilet, would not be without it again. The bus has a real bathroom, small but all the normal stuff. If you do the toilet/shower combo they only take a 2x3 foot spot. You do have to get undressed outside of it or clothes will get wet if taking a shower. So make sure all who may want to use it are ok with that. This is why we went with a slightly larger bathroom in the bus, more privacy when traveling with friends who my not care to see me naked....
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:53 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Rated Cap: 11
Have you considered a gym membership (for shower needs)? If you're in the US, Anytime Fitness gyms are EVERYWHERE.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:04 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
What's the closest gym to Big Bend Park?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:06 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
What's the closest gym to Big Bend Park?
You can take a swim in the Rio Grande. There might be something in Lajitas or Presidio, but they are a drive.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:08 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
A daily hike to the hot springs!
Big bend is such a cool park.. I hope to go back some day
Old 03-21-2018, 08:36 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
In our shortie we have a bathroom...A 3X4ft. shower with a separate toilet. The toilet is a home size RV unit with a china bowl. I gave up a walk around bed for this and SWAMBO loves it. (yes, we still have a bed)

I figure twice per day in/out of the bed vs. several times for the toilet is a good deal.

Happy wife.........................
Old 03-21-2018, 09:27 AM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66
In our shuttle.. I was going back and fourth with if I wanted a full bath or not as space is a premium. After talking it over with the wife, I ended up getting a Thetford Curve 550 portapotti (for emergency use) and will be getting one of the portable camping showers.

Most places we'll be staying for the first trips anyways will have facilities.. Having the porta-potti and camping shower is just piece of mind that doesn't take up much space.
Mr4btTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:39 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

I have the Thetford Curve toilet in my shorty. It's fantastic! Has the upper water cassette that flushes into the lower blackwater cassette. No odor! Is actual toilet height which is good for a 6' man like myself. It has a lockdown bracket that keeps it secure and not flying up to the front to say "Hi" when I have to slow quickly. It is easy to empty and actually has a battery powered flush system that works well. I sound like a rep for the company (which I'm not) but man'o'man it's nice to have a real-feel toilet that hasn't been used by camping-drunks and truckers and aliens from outer space who can't aim! I have it set under a lift-up counter surface that, when raised, forms the front privacy wall, then I draw the curtains in line-of-sight, and my business is my own! I usually fill it with some lysol and a gallon of fresh water before I take the blkwatr cassette to a dump station or actual toilet to empty it.

Just off hand, my kitchen fresh water is two squarish white-plastic 5-gal water containers that when set up on the countertop flow into a lower matching container. many people have this in various versions, so that's not news, but if you want to never have to worry about black and grey tanks, freezing, odor, plumbing, etc… these two ways are optimal! I control my fresh waters safety and condition, I fill from a specific potable water hose with an inline filter, add a few drops of chlorine bleach to ensure sterility (of the water, not me). This is mostly used to wash hands and brush teeth and do dishes, but is certainly drinkable and fresh. before each trip I refresh them, in between I dry them and store them closed.
toplessartist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom, bus, short bus, shuttle bus