So this past week has been a weird limbo struggle for direction. However I was pleased to find ways to keep busy yesterday. I found a cute little wood stove super far away so I had a deadline to finish my work by 6. Here're some fun pictures from yesterday.
Front roof vent cleco'ed on.
The rear roof vent location was not ideal, so I tore it off and cut a new hole for the roof vent. Skinning the bus has taught me that holes in metal are no big deal.
I think cleco'd a patch on the old roof vent hole
For the newbies like myself, I will explain my simple procedure. Take this in with salt grain.
1. Measure twice. I measured 13 1/2" x 13 3/4"
2. Saw open the hole (I used an angle grinder with 4.5 inch norton cutoff wheels)
3. Grind/file off jagged edges.
4. Testfit the roof vent, if it doesn't fit make necessary adjustments.
5. Drill holes (I a tiny pilot bit followed by 3/16")
5.a Cleco it on to conform to the curves of the roof in between.
6. Remove everything and clean the surfaces well. I invented a brilliant (possibly obvious) system yesterday for this: I mixed some water and pinesol into a cheap spray bottle, and used some microfiber cloth
to wipe it up.
7. Patch the perimeter with butyl tape
8. Cleco again
9. Take pictures for skoolie.
10. Call it a day.
Aaand some views from the roof
I went through a brief phase where I thought my money would be safer stored in the form of storage trailers, as a result I have 2 trailers. I would have more if I had the space, probably a good thing I'm out of space. They are incredibly useful though for this project.
Also a little bonus, I have been playing around with sketchup at work, it makes time go by way faster. I wasn't planning to learn to use it, but it turns out all you do is draw rectangles. Pretty simple, pretty fun, pretty intuitive.
Here's a rough sketchup of the bus
There were some tough layout decisions but I feel pretty good about how this turned out, a few compromised had to be made. The side emergency door will not be blocked off entirely, but it will be extremely difficult to use. The bathroom will have a "master bedroom entrance" from behind the door for my wife and I. Guests can go around and use the back door
The glowing TV by the door is the small wood stove I got yesterday.
Between the purple couch and the bed is a chest freezer I got the other day(after I figured out how basic sketchup works), it will be converted to a refrigerator once I have enough beer that needs to be cooled. The top will be used as a counter space, and I plan to put on one of these "add kitchen space fold up counters" that lorna mentioned in a thread
to the cooler to define kitchen space when it's assembled.
I got some #14 screws today, I plan to finish my patchwork later today. The Original reason I did sketchup was to figure out where I'm putting in the windows, the funny thing is it's been 4 days I still haven't measured my windows.