Alright, I've had a good past week and my day off yesterday was phenomenal.
Here's how it's all gone down. I got the first layer of insulation in the bus. What you see here is a 1 inch of polyiso with a reflectix radiant barrier between the insulation and the outer metal. I intend to put another inch in after doing some framing and running some logistics. I believe it's best to have a 1/8~3/4 airgap to make the reflectix insulation effective, however I did not do that. I purchased 100 feet of the reflectix on a whim so I figured I should use it. It's pretty fun and satisfying to work with.
Meanwhile I've put some time in at work to organize each of my appliances into a lego style build chart with a build materal list as well. Google sketchup is an amazing free tool that's very intuitive to use. I have had a lot of good success by grouping excessively and making way too many layers.
From here I proceeded to catalog all the necessary parts in a spreadsheet (I used both excel and google sheets for this), I color coded everything for the next step.
I then sorted everything (excel: data-sort numerically). I also divided everything into groups, so 44, 42 or 45 inches would all fall into the "48 inch group". My maximum loss I believe is 6 inches. Which is a lot but I'm okay with that.
With my material list i calculated I would need about 550 feet of square tubing. I then assumed I would need another 250 feet for various cabinetry and losses (If I go that route) and then calculated that with the price break I'd get at 1000 feet of tubing, it would only cost me $40 for the additional 200 feet, so I ordered 1000 feet of 16 gauge 1" square tubing at 13.55/20ft, and 100 feet of 1/8, 1" angle iron at 15.50/20ft
I also found a desperate need for a "shop computer", so I scored one of my co-workers cosmetically broken alienware laptop for $100. It's got a 2.4ghz i5, 4gb of ram, broken screen and broken "c" key on keyboard. I got the mouse and keyboard for $1 each at RE-PC computer recycling store. I setup the shelves accordingly. I also mostly(no cloud yet) setup a 4 channel security system but I forgot to take pictures of it.
So with all this crap setup, I screwed in the navigator seat and my wife and I went over to specialty metals yesterday to pickup our metal! Below is what 1100 feet of various metals look like in a 20 foot bundle. It all went down super smoothly.
So funny story about yesterday. Apparently there's been a bunch of storm advisories for "the biggest storm in years". I'm not one to give into the hype on the news, but I was really sad that my drivers side windshield wiper was not working(I'll probably bring this up again later). Luckily the metal shop is about 4 miles from my house so we were able to get there trouble free. Of the 3 or 4 times I went to varying hardware stores yesterday I thought it was funny that everyone is getting candles and generators and I'm buying cutoff wheels to cut all this metal. It's also good to note that I was blessed to have a brief rainstorm and 3 days of sun preceding this storm, this gave me time to find leaks, stress over them, buy some automotive seam sealer (3m 8500) and seal the leaks, kinda, some spots still leak a little though. At this point I'm probably just going to lather it all over the troublesome areas extremely liberally.
The rain did cause a lot of inconveniences and problems though. My wife encouraged me to use a tarp to protect the passage between the bus and the garage. So I used my goto sailing knots to rig up a tarp to my bus's roof deck. The tarp had holes but was EXTREMELY useful. I am so glad I spent the 15 minutes needed to make this happen.
With this done I pumped the tunes, cracked a beer, and went to town. I started this project around 3:30 and Finished at midnight. I took about 90 minutes of breaks to hardware stores and takeout food.
I setup a metal inventory spreadsheet on the shop computer to help me keep track of everything I needed to cut. After every few cuts I would go into the laundry room and punch in however many cuts I made below the corresponding lengths. Towards the end I developed a nice tally system that let me keep track of 80 feet worth of cuts before reporting my cuts. I was averaging around 45-50 seconds per cut, including all the side work. By the time I was done I drank about 20 ounces of water in 4 chugs, it was pretty intense.
About 80% of the finished cuts (the rest is scattered in various nooks and crannys).
To top it off we even returned the bus to it's original parking spot and got it mostly re-leveled before 1am.
Here's a picture of the bus I took last night before I returned it to it's original parking spot. It looks much better during the day.