Old 03-04-2016, 06:32 PM   #41
Skoolie

Year: 1987
Well today begins a new work week, which means pictures from my one day of weekend progress! Painting the bus had a not-so surprising amount of prerequisites I was putting off: namely cleaning entirely, and covering the man holes. I also covered the small bolt/screw/nail holes with some rubber flashing tape. (featured here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o02_s00) the pictures in the end will show these, they just look like electric tape on the floor. I don't know if this is a good plan or not, I just copied the good news bus and was into the idea.

We painted the bus! The insulating beads(or should I say sand) came in time and we mixed them into the primer 1/3 ratio. We went through 3 quarts of primer throughout this process.

We painted the walls as well, Nana in action

my shirt was probably two sizes too small

This was from a few days ago, I pulled the rear walls off (which I was putting off along with a few other things which I forget). I was reading on one of the forums about people not wanting to remove the walls and insulation so I thought I would take a picture of the insulation I pulled out of the rear wall.

Questions/comments:
Below is the manhole, I finally took a clear picture of it. I'm assuming this is my transmission? ( I clearly know little about mechanics). Since it was made accessable, I decided that I will try to make it so it can be accessed for future use.

Here we have another hole, my first question is the cable to the right coming out of the floor which you can barely see - I suspect it has something to do with a lift which may've been in the bus before? I am not sure though

My next question is a close up of the prior shown hole, it has two dc cables in it, what do you think this is for?

Then lastly, what do you think this thing is? it is around maybe the front left corner of the driver seat, I have no idea what it is!

I have changed my priorities, getting the bus running again is the top priority! Rather than insulating the full bus, I intend to insulate/ply the front section so I can get the heaters re-attached and the driver seat re-bolted in. From there I will re-evaluate my priorities, but I'm thinking something along the lines of: dc electrical sorting/cleaning, water/gas/electric layout planning.

That's all for now folks, and thank you for watching over my progress!
TAOLIK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:04 PM   #42
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Comments added inline..
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAOLIK View Post
Questions/comments:
Below is the manhole, I finally took a clear picture of it. I'm assuming this is my transmission? ( I clearly know little about mechanics). Since it was made accessable, I decided that I will try to make it so it can be accessed for future use.
Yes, that's the transmission.

My next question is a close up of the prior shown hole, it has two dc cables in it, what do you think this is for?
Is that the top of the fuel tank we're seeing through the hole? It resembles a tank to me. You can follow the fuel filler neck from the outside to be sure. My first thought on seeing the wires was "fuel level sender."

Then lastly, what do you think this thing is? it is around maybe the front left corner of the driver seat, I have no idea what it is!
Is it a switch? Commercial vehicles sometimes have a left-foot-operated switch for the headlight high beams, though usually it would have a much larger cap on it..
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:20 PM   #43
Skoolie

Thank you Wagon! I think you're right about the gas tank. As far as the high beams go, I actually discovered the high beam button (after two years of assuming the bus had none) last year, but this switch/nipple is different from that (from what I can see). Thank you for your confirmations and input, it's much appreciated!
Old 03-05-2016, 09:03 AM   #44
Bus Crazy

The 12-VDC wires coming up through the floor by the lift door are most likely the power supply that went to the lift motor. Lift motors look like starter motors but don't need as much amperage to work properly. Hence the relatively small size of wire. Somewhere up stream from that location there should be a relay that will turn the juice on and off. Most of the time the power supply was controlled either by the key switch or a switch on the control panel or a combination of both. Even though the amperage is not as much as a starter motor, the amperage for a lift motor to operate is way too much amperage to run through the key switch or a switch on the control panel.

You want to keep all of the access ports through the floor accessible. If you ever have to work on the fuel tank sender or the transmission you won't want to have to disassemble parts of your "house" in order to access parts of the "truck".

The item going through the floor by the bottom of the driver's seat does have me puzzled. I can't say that I have ever seen anything like that mounted in that location before. At first glance it would appear to be a temperature sender or a pressure switch. What is it attached to under the floor? If you knew what was below the floor it can give a better idea as to the function of the switch/sender.

You are doing some great work. Doing proper prep work does take a lot of time but is well worth the effort down the road.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:06 PM   #45
Skoolie

Thank you Cowlitzcoach, aside from my father, there is noone else I'd rather have approval from then the skoolie community at this present moment. I'm also glad that it looks like I'm doing things right from how this thread looks.

Yesterday we got another coat of paint down. This time I put in 9 oz of insulating beads instead of 8oz the paint was noticably thicker and harder to apply, noted. Tomorrow night we will put down the last layer of interior paint.

I will definitely make sure all my "truck components" have access, hopefully by the end of this week I will be able to map out a fairly detailed unprofessional rough draft of how the electricity is going to look. I got my magnum mms1012 inverter/charger in the mail a week or so ago, and every day I look at it with the same intimidation and intrigue as an adolescent looking at taboo nudies.

The tension and excitement to push further into this unknown is overwhelming! At the end of the day though, I just hope I can get the bus to start on Thursday.

also I'll try and get more details of the mystery switch in the front. Thank you for taking interest everyone!
Old 03-17-2016, 03:55 AM   #46
Skoolie

Alright folks, it's been a minute but I'm slowly making progress. I was hoping to get your input regarding this mystery unit I mentioned earlier.

I took one for my team and crawled under my bus after work and was pleasantly surprised to see this mystery unit wired fairly simply.

One wire was grounded to the frame, and the other went into my battery box. I have never used this thing and I am still rather oblivious to what this could be.

As always your input and wisdom would be much appreciated. I apologize for the lack of content, I'm hastily posting from my tablet with my fat undextrous thumbs. I'll hopefully put in a good update on friday.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:41 AM   #47
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT 466e
Rated Cap: 16
at first glance,I thought maybe it was an air line for an air-adjusted seat... but since it has wires connected to it, I'm not sure...unless it is a connector for a fancy powered seat? maybe an option that was wired in, yet rarely used in skoolies? Just a thought...

good luck and keep us posted! I'm liking your build - nice progress!

John
johnbloem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:50 AM   #48
Bus Crazy

To what does the cable that goes into the battery box connect?

To me, the top of that looks like some sort of sender. But connected to electrical instead of air, water, or oil lines has me puzzled.

The only purpose I think it could be would be a master batter shut off switch. If the line goes to the negative post on the battery then it most likely is a master shut off. However, I don't know how you would turn the switch. Most of the battery shut off switches I have seen that were mounted on the floor under the driver's seat had a large handle that made it very easy to go from on to off.

If you can turn that little thing that sticks up or if you can push it in and out I think that you will find nothing electrical will work until you push or turn it back to where it is now.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 05:44 PM   #49
Skoolie

Master battery disconnect sounds spot on to me, im pretty sure it connects to the negative terminal of the battery. Just gave it a Google and I can see some resemblance. Since my bus demands some work before starting I will fiddle with it later probably. Ironically I have a stereo which loves to turn on and off to drain the battery so I gotntwo disconnects for each battery that I still haven't connected. A master disconnect sounds like an awesome thing for me to have in the bus so I'll factor this into my days plan.

Just returned with some bus chairs, time to get down to business. Update coming soon!
Old 03-17-2016, 06:24 PM   #50
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: International Genesis
Chassis: TS 3900
Engine: DT 408 190HP Turbo
Rated Cap: 2+1
I would vote for battery disconnect switch, I would bet that it had a knob that had gotten lost over time, maybe your bus was a reserve bus and they installed the switch to keep the batteries from draining between use.
My Disclamer: I know nothing, just repeating what I have read.