Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2016, 01:37 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Still dreaming about a bus
Looking at a bus this weekend

I am going to look at a short bus this weekend.It is a 1991 Thomas 6 window with wheel chair lift.It has a 7.3 International engine.The bus has 175K miles. They are asking $3000 for it, but that is negotiable.I have an insurance agent working on coverage, but that is a completely different issue.

Before I pull the trigger a couple of questions if you please;
A/C: Is it reasonable to assume, once properly insulated, one roof top A/C unit would be adequate?I do need to find an A/C calculator to determine what capacity.I am really trying to avoid a window unit.
Insulation: DIY two part spray foam seems to be a reasonable direction. Any horror stories?
Generators:A diesel generator would make the most sense, but the prices are outrageous, does anyone with a diesel bus use a gasoline generator? Propane just doesn't seem to be that practical, but hasn't been ruled out.

My head is getting ready to explode with all of the scenarios bouncing around.I have pretty much lived on this site this week.I am waiting for the IT guys to come tap on my shoulder.
Thanks in advance.

Lamacose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:44 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the 7.3 in 1991 was non turbo... in a short bus that might still be OK... it is the precursor to the electronic T444E.. unless that bus is completely rust free and in really good shape, the price seems a bit high for a non-dealer bus.. but thomas makes a solid body... id definitely look the body and floors over carefully since it is 25 years old..

I dont know the availability of parts for that 7.3 IDI engine.. thats something for someone else to comment on.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:06 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Good info to get ahead of time. I will definitely do a good crawl about and confirm engine details.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:52 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
If you are installing a propane stove top or top oven combo then you will already have propane onboard to run other things.
Look at junkyards for old RV's to salvage from?
I kick myself in the but almost every week because the old Minnie Winnie I took my holding tanks from had a propane ONAN gennie in it I could have had for almost nothing but all of the tubing was dry rotted and gone and all of the orifices had dirt dobber nest in them as far as I could stick a piece of wire so I decided it wasn't for me because of my lack of time and money but I wish I would have gotten it for almost nothing and spent the piddle time to make it something. Can't afford the same one new or running used so I am back to re-configuring the one I have that I did put the time into over many years to make run but now it maybe will get broke down to fit where I need it? It is gas? So if I go that route I will be carrying and storing in one way or another diesel for the bus, propane for the house stove and gas plus extra gas just for a generator.
Don't like the extra storage for gas cause I am already carrying two other fuel sources?
That's why I kick myself in the butt weekly or at least everytime I try to think about the generator issue?
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:59 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Sorry one more from me.
Check your spray foam compatibility with metal.
Some spray foams are not compatible with raw metal or galvanized metal.
Please tell us the brand and type you are looking at?
There are threads here that used spray foam so maybe some of them will give you advice/opinions
Good luck
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:51 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

I finally got to look at the bus this afternoon. Unfortunately it is a pass. While the body is incredibly good condition for the age & miles and spending its entire life on an island; it is a little too short for what I want to do with it. While the 7.3 boasts a fairly new radiator, water pump and alternator the bus struggled to make 55 mph while empty.

I really appreciate last week's feed back. It was a big help.

Andy