Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-14-2018, 09:52 PM   #21
Bus Nut
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgsfanasty View Post
What about insurance costs? Do you have to go to school to get a class A?

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
What state are you trying to get one in?
In Ga.:
Basic Requirements

Applicant must be at least 18 years of age.
A minimum of 3 months or 3,000 miles driving experience in a vehicle representing the driver's license class for which they are applying.
Pass a Vision Exam.
Pass applicable Non-Commercial Knowledge Exam.
Possess a valid Georgia driver's license.
Documents Required

Documentation showing your identity, residential address, full social security number, and U.S. citizenship or proof of lawful status in the United States. Please refer to Secure ID for more information.
If a valid Georgia driver's license cannot be presented at the time of testing/issuance, applicant must provide an item from Lost or Stolen Driver's License Requirements.
Submit a driving affidavit (Form DS-36) signed by a Public Agency Employer (or self-certify) attesting that driving requirements have been met.
All documents must be in English.



The stumper is, as I mentioned, how do I get 3k miles experience without a valid license. And then how do I get this letter?

Submit a driving affidavit (Form DS-36) signed by a Public Agency Employer (or self-certify) attesting that driving requirements have been met.

Do I read this correctly, all I have to do is tell them I meet the requirement?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:55 PM   #22
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 1,480
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgsfanasty View Post
What about insurance costs? Do you have to go to school to get a class A?

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
No idea. Oklahoma doesn't require anything other than Class C.

I imagine the test will be broadly similar to the CDL test, but you'd have to Google.

There will be a state publication outlining the procedure for each state that makes the requirement.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:03 PM   #23
Bus Nut
 
Jdawgsfanasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
What state are you trying to get one in?
In Ga.:
Basic Requirements

Applicant must be at least 18 years of age.
A minimum of 3 months or 3,000 miles driving experience in a vehicle representing the driver's license class for which they are applying.
Pass a Vision Exam.
Pass applicable Non-Commercial Knowledge Exam.
Possess a valid Georgia driver's license.
Documents Required

Documentation showing your identity, residential address, full social security number, and U.S. citizenship or proof of lawful status in the United States. Please refer to Secure ID for more information.
If a valid Georgia driver's license cannot be presented at the time of testing/issuance, applicant must provide an item from Lost or Stolen Driver's License Requirements.
Submit a driving affidavit (Form DS-36) signed by a Public Agency Employer (or self-certify) attesting that driving requirements have been met.
All documents must be in English.



The stumper is, as I mentioned, how do I get 3k miles experience without a valid license. And then how do I get this letter?

Submit a driving affidavit (Form DS-36) signed by a Public Agency Employer (or self-certify) attesting that driving requirements have been met.

Do I read this correctly, all I have to do is tell them I meet the requirement?
Texas...it would seem that a lot of buses are over the 26000 rating

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:11 AM   #24
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Currently in Germany, moving to Davis, CA
Posts: 23
Wow, so many replies. Different time zone, I was sleeping...

Well licenses and insurance are a headache for me as well. Looking to get it done in California.
I'll check out how easy it is du "upgrade" from my standard license. Although I've never even driven anything that heavy.
ChrisHieronimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:07 AM   #25
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 13,264
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHieronimus View Post
Thanks! 3x is a lot. To much to justify the feeling of a legit dealer.
Used bus dealers don't typically do anything other than get the bus from the school and resell it.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:09 AM   #26
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 13,264
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgsfanasty View Post
Dude!!! Thx for this link!!! Layaway!!! Damn I'm closer than I thought I was!!! And, as an example, I saw a FE with only 3 seats...and no lift (has the door though)...$7500...gotta replace my scooter 1st...but this looks promising for sure

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
BGA are a total joke.
Anything they have is about 3-4x what you could go buy it for anywhere else.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:11 AM   #27
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 13,264
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
The place in Tampa is way higher priced.
Thanks foe educating me on the license requirements. You may have made it easier for the OP.
BGA aka "we sell buses" ARE in Tampa. And Jacksonville.
They're just going and buying the same auction buses as the rest of us and charging folks more than TOP DOLLAR. They cater to the uneducated buyer who's impulsive and not resourceful enough to figure out where to get a bus.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:48 AM   #28
Bus Nut
 
Jdawgsfanasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
BGA aka "we sell buses" ARE in Tampa. And Jacksonville.
They're just going and buying the same auction buses as the rest of us and charging folks more than TOP DOLLAR. They cater to the uneducated buyer who's impulsive and not resourceful enough to figure out where to get a bus.
They offer a way to get a bus when my credit sux...and $7500 for a 2003 sounds reasonable...even with their layaway it'd still take me at least 2yr to pay for the bus...

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:03 AM   #29
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 13,264
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgsfanasty View Post
They offer a way to get a bus when my credit sux...and $7500 for a 2003 sounds reasonable...even with their layaway it'd still take me at least 2yr to pay for the bus...

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Its all relative, but to me that price doesn't sound at all reasonable. You can buy that yourself for 1/3 that. If you're that broke (which I am too) how is paying top retail export price going to better your situation?
If its on layaway you can't use/drive/enjoy the bus, right? Why not just save the money you'd be making layaway payments with and then have cash when some great bus pops up at a great price?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:34 AM   #30
Bus Nut
 
Jdawgsfanasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Its all relative, but to me that price doesn't sound at all reasonable. You can buy that yourself for 1/3 that. If you're that broke (which I am too) how is paying top retail export price going to better your situation?
If its on layaway you can't use/drive/enjoy the bus, right? Why not just save the money you'd be making layaway payments with and then have cash when some great bus pops up at a great price?
Because life happens...case in point, it's tax time...I was gonna use my refund(@$1500) for another project...nope, gotta replace my scooter because someone stole it...if I'm paying for it I'll be using it in a couple years...if life doesn't interfere...I'm 55...I'll be lucky to ever make $20/hr...layaway would be awesome...sure, I'd rather find a $1000 bus on Craigslist in great condition...not likely

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chevy, ford, gmc, short bus, short skoolie

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.