Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2018, 12:18 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarnut View Post
It's funny but OP mentioned RV camp grounds to stay in while using their bus but no one has mentioned how difficult it can be at some RV parks because a bus is not an RV and are not always welcomed. Granted I have yet to have issues because I don't use RV camp grounds but something to be prepared for.

Good point.

I traveled 40+ states in a converted Eagle. New paint, roof raise and RV windows. I ran into several "private" RV parks/campgrounds that would not let me stay.

I found that Federal, State and County facilities that I stopped at did not care about it being a bus or about the age.

PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:24 PM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Good point.

I traveled 40+ states in a converted Eagle. New paint, roof raise and RV windows. I ran into several "private" RV parks/campgrounds that would not let me stay.

I found that Federal, State and County facilities that I stopped at did not care about it being a bus or about the age.
Some of those RV Parks are like Million Dollar Ghettos anyway. I much prefer state and federal campgrounds, or boondocking on BLM land.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:30 PM   #43
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
I haven't taken any lak for being a bus, but I also avoid the places I'd expect to get it. I don't have hookups so the structured rv park doesn't make sense for me. Also I'm cheap so you'll find me at a Walmart or in a field instead.
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:50 PM   #44
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
I haven't taken any lak for being a bus, but I also avoid the places I'd expect to get it. I don't have hookups so the structured rv park doesn't make sense for me. Also I'm cheap so you'll find me at a Walmart or in a field instead.
Anywhere but here, people think that I am nuts when I tell them that I lived for about 2 years (cumulative) at WalMart

The worst area's for "Bus Discrimination" I personally found were Las Vegas NV and LA/Orange Counties in CA.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:55 PM   #45
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Anywhere but here, people think that I am nuts when I tell them that I lived for about 2 years (cumulative) at WalMart

The worst area's for "Bus Discrimination" I personally found were Las Vegas NV and LA/Orange Counties in CA.
Dude, there's parts of los Vegas you better not have a backpack!

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:48 PM   #46
Mini-Skoolie

Am I correctly assuming that it is easier to find a mechanic who will work on a van cutaway shortie like an E450, rather than on a full size bus? I really like the full size ones, but the cutaway style ones just seem more available and cheaper to get.
ChrisHieronimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:11 PM   #47
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Any car mechanic should be comfortable enough working on a cutaway, it's literally just an E350 or whatever van with a shell.

Many would also work on a full size bus, but not all. I had a hell of a time in Washington asking different shops (auto repair, heavy truck repair, etc) if they'd do my AC compressors. I ended up doing them myself because my bus was either too big or too small.

Also, it matters a lot what sort of work you're trying to have done. Diesel engines are simple beasts, and most of the things you'd use a typical mechanic for are just as easy to do yourself. When you start talking about pulling cylinder heads, there are very few mechanics I'd trust to do it regardless of what platform it's on.

This is an area where diesels and gas motors differ, it's not uncommon for a gas engine in a bus to need an overhaul around 100k miles.
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:16 PM   #48
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
This is an area where diesels and gas motors differ, it's not uncommon for a gas engine in a bus to need an overhaul around 100k miles.
Thanks for the info. I'm definitely going for a diesel. Just traying to figure out if cutaway or full size... And I think trouble finding help could be a dealbreaker for me, having zero knowledge about mechanics.
ChrisHieronimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:00 PM   #49
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
With Youtube you can do anything.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:06 PM   #50
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHieronimus View Post
Am I correctly assuming that it is easier to find a mechanic who will work on a van cutaway shortie like an E450, rather than on a full size bus? I really like the full size ones, but the cutaway style ones just seem more available and cheaper to get.
I'm not a mechanic, but I'd much rather work on a full size bus than a van. NOTHING on a van is easy to work on. I drive one.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:19 PM   #51
Bus Nut

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I'm definitely going for a diesel. Just traying to figure out if cutaway or full size... And I think trouble finding help could be a dealbreaker for me, having zero knowledge about mechanics.
Gator automotive in Dayton, TX is my mechanic...if it sucks fuel he'll stick his tools in it...he's busy though...never a empty bay or driveway...

Old 01-27-2018, 08:35 PM   #52
Bus Nut

Are you in Dayton Tx? I have a buddy that works for the school district there, as a mechanic. Just a stones throw from me.
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:57 PM   #53
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olfart View Post
Are you in Dayton Tx? I have a buddy that works for the school district there, as a mechanic. Just a stones throw from me.
Got friends working at plane state...I don't live there because I can't afford land...she doesn't live in city proper...out off sawmill road

Old 05-15-2018, 09:25 AM   #54

Quote:
Hello everyone!

My wife and I are looking to start a conversion this year. We're from Europe, moving to Davis, CA this year. Back home my choice of a vehicle would obviously be different, so in addition to simply not being a mechanic, I'm lacking the general know how on american models, makes and mechanics. A few things on what we're planning to do:

- Full time living
- polyiso + spray foam insulation, then reclaimed wood finish
- bed for two
- kitchen with gad cooker
- tiny wood stove
- running on solar
- maybe shower and composting toilet

We're looking for a short bus, in order to fit into most parking spaces and rv parks. From what we think we need in a bus I think I'd go for a five/six window bus over the four window one. Was also looking at box vans for an over cabin bed, but the construction and amount of windows keep drawing me to skoolies.

Things I already learned while researching (great forum, here, thank you):
- Diesel over gas (although still confused on this one, diesel might be more expensive to maintain)
- If Ford, go for pre-2004 7.3L and avoid newer 6.0L
- Avoid shuttle busses because of fiberglass shell

I have no idea what other makes/models would suit our needs. Chevy? GMC? What do I need to know about transmissions?

Also, while looking for where to buy, I figured three options. Sites like Craigslist, Ebay motors, facebook marketplace. Dealers like A-Z busses in CA. Or government auction sites, although I don't know how they work. I do like the idea of buying from a dealer, have a vehicle checked there and an address to go to for troubleshooting. Seems a lot pricier though - A-Z busses has a 2002 Ford Thomas 7.3 Diesel with 158.000 miles for 14.000$. Seems expensive. Cheaper ones with 200k+ mileage. How much should I be worried about the miles anyway?

Sorry for all these questions. Is there a wiki to read so I won't bother you with tons of beginner's type questions?

Thank you!!

(Tried to post it before, somehow didn't work. Please delete if double.)
Hi, I have a 98 short bus for sale!! Let me know if you're interested in knowing more.- Shawn

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/6589221330.html
shawnchicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevy, ford, gmc, short bus, short skoolie