Old 12-03-2017, 10:31 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Looking for a shorty

Hello 'erryone, first post here. Im totally new to this, but ive been lurking 'round here for a while, and i really appreciate all the resources and information here. Forgive my noobieness.

I'm hoping to find a bus soon and start a conversion, just havent found the right bus yet. The bus will be for my significant other and I to travel and live in, full time. I have very limited experience in construction, but that's about to change.

Here's the specs we are looking for in a bus.

No rust
Automatic
Fuel injection
Not a Ford
Dog nose
Engine 5.7L or bigger
Gas
14+ ft behind driver seat
6+ ft headspace
Not a dually
6 windows

Also, functional heating and a/c is needed. If the bus doesn't come with it, it will be on the to-do list.

How does this sound to you guys? Is this all too specific? Thoughts/comments/suggestions?
Kandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:01 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
First, welcome. You've made a wise decision to get a bus. Of course most of us here would say that because of our own addiction to buses.

I understand your choices, but I don't think you're planning for enough space for two. Also most of us are strongly in favor of the diesels because of the reliability and generally lower operating costs. Then again, as the saying goes "It all depends on what you're going to use it for."

Concerning heat/air conditioning, the current popular choice is mini-split systems that can both heat and cool with lower energy impacts.

Most of the buses are automatic. It would be harder to find you a stick shift.

Concerning the rust issue, that largely depends on where you decide to purchase your bus from.

People here will try to refer you to listed buses that fit or nearly fit your needs and budget.

So as you said, a shorty dognose gasser for two people is where we stand right now? I don't know enough about the shorties to reliably tell you what to look for in a cutaway bus or even a shorty conventional bus.

I did find this pretty cutaway today at $10k, but this has a 466 in it;
https://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/au...ew?auc=1981572
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:07 PM   #3
Bus Geek

That was not the right link to the cutaway with the 466.

We're almost neighbors.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:26 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
First, welcome. You've made a wise decision to get a bus. Of course most of us here would say that because of our own addiction to buses.

I understand your choices, but I don't think you're planning for enough space for two. Also most of us are strongly in favor of the diesels because of the reliability and generally lower operating costs. Then again, as the saying goes "It all depends on what you're going to use it for."

Concerning heat/air conditioning, the current popular choice is mini-split systems that can both heat and cool with lower energy impacts.

Concerning the rust issue, that largely depends on where you decide to purchase your bus from.

People here will try to refer you to listed buses that fit or nearly fit your needs and budget.

So as you said, a shorty dognose gasser for two people is where we stand right now? I don't know enough about the shorties to reliably tell you what to look for in a cutaway bus or even a shorty conventional bus.

I did find this pretty cutaway today at $10k, but this has a 466 in it;
https://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/au...ew?auc=1981572
OP wants a gas powered, dog nosed shorty, without rear duals.
I guess a chevy van would do.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:51 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

[QUOTE=Robin97396;236906]First, welcome.
Thank u very much!
You've made a wise decision to get a bus. Of course most of us here would say that because of our own addiction to buses.

Were in a van right now, so a shorty would be a huge improvement.
As for diesels, i know they last quite a bit longer, but I'm a rubbertramper, gasjugging for diesel in the city would be rough

the NW...sigh

thank u for trying to help anyways!
Old 12-04-2017, 07:55 AM   #6
Bus Geek

With not wanting dual rears, wanting a gas engine, and wanting one thats not a van, I don't actually think there IS a bus like that out there.
You're basically looking for something that doesn't exist.
Closest thing would be a small bus on a van chassis.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:06 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
With not wanting dual rears, wanting a gas engine, and wanting one thats not a van, I don't actually think there IS a bus like that out there.
You're basically looking for something that doesn't exist.
Closest thing would be a small bus on a van chassis.
That is sad to hear. Are most short buses duallies? I just figured that extra tires would end up meaning more tire replacing
Old 12-04-2017, 08:21 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandall View Post
That is sad to hear. Are most short buses duallies? I just figured that extra tires would end up meaning more tire replacing
There are really tiny "buses' that are essentially just a van with a few school bus windows. They aren't duals.
But they aren't really anything different than a van.

If the cost of maintenance scares you then be warned- buses are expensive to keep up.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:19 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: Cummins 8.3L
Rated Cap: 48 Coach Seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandall View Post
Dualies are fitted to cope with the maximum weight rating on the rear axle.

Once you know the weight you are driving with, you can reduce to singles on the rear if the load index of the tires can cope.

Build Thread
Twigg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:57 PM   #10
Bus Geek

I'll admit my practical diesel experience is 40 years old, but from what I was told running a vehicle set up for dualies on single tires eventually makes the wheel bearings fail. Something about the wrong pressure angles on the bearings.