Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2010, 06:56 PM   #21

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Re: My 1990 Ford E-350 Goshen Bus

You must have skipped one receipt unless the laws of physics don't apply to the freeway that you used. I would try it again and fill up to the same line in the filler tube every time. I doubt you get the same result.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:08 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

well i figured out that when driving that i get about 10 hours driving to a tank. thats 1000km. drove a total of 1070 miles from A-B. Filled it in PG for 90 bucks, then topped up in jasper for about 70$ cause i didn't quite have enough to make Edmonton (and it was 11pm at night). Then filled it in Edmonton then next morning for bout 30 bucks, then again in Saskatoon for another 90 something. Made it home with half a tank left over.

so somehow now i come out with 17mpg now... hmm wonder where those receipts are.. I moved twice now since and about to move again shortly. should be in the 09 incometax folder but nothing in there...

ill look it up at home when i get there.

K i found it

1700km

prince george -100
jasper - 70
edmonton - 50
stoon - 50
total 270$

avg price 90c/liter

180 liters - 9.4km/liter

1062 miles - 47 gallons - 22.59 mpg

so is that right?

Also, anyone have suggestions for locking/latching the bus doors from the inside? thinking of just putting some latches on the inside that spring load latch.
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:00 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

So today I was working on the bus with buddy troy. We got it vacuumed out, got the door opener off, got the panels above the door back in, got the floor plan figured out, got 2 new batteries, new air and new fuel filter, got the glow plugs working, got the dog house on and a firmly fastened into place, got under the bus and took some pictures, found no rot under there and found the spare tire holder and saw how it worked. Of course no spare in there..

then buddy troy hooked up the cb. got it wired in and all. then he was tucking in the wires and he goes "oh there was smoke there" so i open the console panel and grab the red wire to pull it off the connection and as I grab it and pull, it turns orange and the casing melts off in my hand... so my first joint on my left pointer finger has a gouge in it about the size of the wire. Had to go to the hospital and get a tetanus shot, get my finger looked at and wrapped. I have to go back tomorrow and get it looked at and re-bandaged.

knew today was going too well for some reason.

My condensers which looks like they need a good cleaning.

drive train looks good

Spare tire carrier and back up beeper

drivers wheel well

passenger wheel well
Old 05-26-2010, 10:14 AM   #24
Bus Crazy

So after trying to mess around with these doors for so long, i got fed up and tried looking for a exterior door... well in the custom size i would need it was quoted over 750 dollar... so I was just about at the end of my wits when I noticed a display rack in a store for exterior storm doors! So I asked the dimensions on them and they are exactly what i need! I picked out one that happened to be the cheapest, most durable, and very sturdy (has little to no flexing). So back to the shop to work on getting the old doors out and to get the new ones in!

So first off, new door.

Now to get these doors off. I took off the top door header, Took off as many of the screws for the side cushioning as we could (4 left i think. needs some major elbow grease), but we CANNOT figure out how to get the doors out of the doorway!! They dont lift up, obviously cant pull down. So not sure what to do. Probably going to have to get under the steps and find out how they are attached underneath. It was a terribly cold and windy day and didnt have access to the shop or else it would be done lol.

And so this is what we think it should look like when done. Going to mount the door opening stuff on the Left side of the door so there is no chance of "WHOOSH" and the door being ripped off down the road at 100km/hr!

comments? suggestions? help? lol
Old 05-26-2010, 11:23 AM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 89
Coachwork: thomas
Engine: 7.3 diesel

Looks like a Larson or Pella
I have a mobile home supplier that will make or have made any custom door for 130 not including the window
same as a mobile home door, aluminium with metal framework and all, then use lock and key.
In case anybody else is looking for a door
Old 05-26-2010, 08:43 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuff
well i figured out that when driving that i get about 10 hours driving to a tank. thats 1000km. drove a total of 1070 miles from A-B. Filled it in PG for 90 bucks, then topped up in jasper for about 70$ cause i didn't quite have enough to make Edmonton (and it was 11pm at night). Then filled it in Edmonton then next morning for bout 30 bucks, then again in Saskatoon for another 90 something. Made it home with half a tank left over.

so somehow now i come out with 17mpg now... hmm wonder where those receipts are.. I moved twice now since and about to move again shortly. should be in the 09 incometax folder but nothing in there...

ill look it up at home when i get there.

K i found it

1700km

prince george -100
jasper - 70
edmonton - 50
stoon - 50
total 270$

avg price 90c/liter

180 liters - 9.4km/liter

1062 miles - 47 gallons - 22.59 mpg

so is that right?

Also, anyone have suggestions for locking/latching the bus doors from the inside? thinking of just putting some latches on the inside that spring load latch.

Sorry, but my head hurts after reading that. You've got hours and dollars mixed in there with a half tank left over. If you used calculations like that to aim the space shuttle, it would hit the sun.

Did you start with a full tank? If so, you would have to fill up that tank when you got back home. The easiest way to do it is to top the tank off when you start your trip. Write the mileage on your receipt. Every time you stop for fuel, write your mileage on your receipt. When you get to your destination, top off the tank. Add up all the liters or gallons you bought not including the first fill up at the start of your trip. That was your starting point. Then divide your liters/gallons into your total mileage to get a more accurate number. If you don't top off at your start and finish, whatever you come up with won't be accurate.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 05-26-2010, 08:48 PM   #27

Bummer about your finger, I hope it doesn't hurt too much. Was that wire from the CB? Did you fuse it?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 05-26-2010, 11:49 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

yar its a larson door. Looks tough enough. 200~ and change. Got a guy to come install it for me next week. he's a guy ive known for years that does all kinds of wood and building revamping etc.

screws didnt come out cause they are the bottom ones and a bit rusted but we didnt have access to a power drill. plan on doing that next week.

as for mileage, i filled up when i started, and when i ended i had half a tank. roughly $50 to fill.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:41 AM   #29
Bus Crazy

so was it a conversion error or wrong estimate or something?
Old 06-01-2010, 01:53 PM   #30

Are you asking about the MPG?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 06-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

ya the mileage.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:50 PM   #32

If you want an accurate number, you have to be consistent from start to finish. Just because the gauge says half full doesn't necessarily mean that the tank is actually half full. All I can tell you is that your mileage is not 25 MPG. Try it like I wrote earlier and see what you come up with. The only problem now is that if you do it now and your not on a long freeway trip, you're going to have city miles in there and they will be much lower than just freeway miles.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 06-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #33
Bus Crazy

hmm ya next big trip will be July to Yorkton. that will be all highway there and back if i take it. but its only 4 hours each way so that might use a tank there and back.

forgot to mention to that the trip was with out the over drive working. the plug was undone under the bus. clicked it back in and it works great now.

got a meeting with a guy for putting door in tonight. shall see what happens. hoping for good news but that never seems to happen...
Old 06-03-2010, 01:06 PM   #34
Bus Crazy

Well got the bus out for some stretching of the legs, took a bunch of friends to the beach with it. I gotta get that bathroom or a back area made in there. the bathroom/changerooms at the beach were DISGUSTING!! feces and junk everywhere!!

Anyhow on the trip out i went to turn on the rear a/c and nothing. went to hit the lights, nothing, I was freaking out that the wire burn thing wrecked something. then later that night i tried the lights again and they worked! so not sure what is up with that. I know in the door above the drivers area there is a couple solenoid/relays. Is it possible for one of them to be acting up? Also other shortie guys out here, is there a big fuse or breaker for the bus parts?
Old 06-03-2010, 03:23 PM   #35

Quote:
the bathroom/changerooms at the beach were DISGUSTING!! feces and junk everywhere!!
What's the matter, haven't you guys up north figured out how to use the toilets yet.

There should be a separate panel with fuses and relays somewhere. I don't think they would run it through the factory wiring.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 06-03-2010, 10:31 PM   #36
Bus Crazy

gonna look for some relays. has brand new batteries put in it a couple weeks ago so they were all cleaned and such then.

Today I went to regina and picked up a donor camper. A 1978 Prowler 16' that I found one on usedregina, had no pictures or price, got ahold of the lady selling it, and got it for a deal! has 5 brand new trailer tires, new rear lights, new wiring harness, a working stove and hood range, sink, water pump, hot water heater, holding tanks, table and bench chairs that fold into a bed, bunk bed to. Has no bathroom though.. thats the catch. roof was leaking and they patched it but they got ambitious this year and went to re-do the roof and found its mostly rotted out on the top and where the bathroom was. So part of my work is already done! lol.

more @ http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a379/ ... 20Prowler/
Old 06-05-2010, 12:06 AM   #37
Bus Crazy

well not as bad of a find as i thought it was! has a 30 amp service, has a 120 to 12v inverter inside to power all the goodies! has a couple florescent lights, about 4 12v bulb lights, the water pump is gone unfortunately... the water tank and black tank are still there, (not sure on shape), 30 amp cords and extention cords and water hoses, leveling jacks, and the table/chairs are in great shape, the bunks are in great shape, the stove is there and works well, the hood range works both the light and the fan and an exterior venting model, and ALL OF THE DOCUMENTATION is there for the whole trailer! inverter, heater, furnace, fridge, stove, trailer, etc. Even the original bill of sale from 1978 for $5000.10

Old 06-08-2010, 12:06 AM   #38
Bus Crazy

unfortunately no progress as of today. got to the bus, got inside and my back went out on me...

Also I've decided not to re-use the existing bus seats. going to use the camper's dinette set and a fold down bed bench seat out of a dodge caravan (for the seatbelt for a possible youngin's car seat).

looks like so down
http://www.allpar.com/photos/minivans/converta-bed.jpg

looks like so up
http://www.allpar.com/photos/minivans/seats.jpg
http://www.allpar.com/photos/minivans/convertabed.jpg
Old 06-08-2010, 05:02 AM   #39
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26

Now that's the idea I'm working on.......
Old 06-09-2010, 10:50 AM   #40
Bus Crazy

I figure its gonna need a bit of modification but should work okay. I have to get the C hooks off the bottom of the frame that the dodge vans use to latch the seats in. Then I am going to get some metal and fab up a way to use the bus' existing seat rails to hold this thing in place OR going to see if it can be bolted down to the floor. I have to get a good look under the passenger front side first.

This way I will have seat belts, a way to attach a child seat, and possible bed area to. just gotta make the area behind it available.

Also some good news from SGI and some not so good news...

first good news. being it is privately registered for private use there is no restrictions on logs, hours in a day driving or state/province it is going through. But being it has Bus seats in it, that opens up can #2.. being they are bus seats there is restrictions for children and bus seats. Also the fact that they need to be OEM seats in the bus, not any seat just bolted into it... So that might be quite a problem now..