Originally Posted by DarkLaw
Great stuff! Loved your write up and can't wait to see more! I will be using your post as a guide as I begin to rip up the rotting plywood from my '86 Chevy G30 and add insulation, new flooring, etc.
I especially loved the pics regarding the windows. I had been thinking long and hard about what I should use to put in place of the few windows I want to cover and your posts make it obvious. See, I'm a tech-geek - not a mechanic. LoL But now I know exactly how I'll do it! Do oyu have any more pics oyu could upload in regards to the galvanized steel you replaced the windows with? I'm trying to see exactly how you fastened the sheets to the window sills and beams.
Thanks again for the post and good luck! I can't wait for a new update!
I'm a bit of a tech geek myself, so you're not alone. :P But I've also been doing mechanic work for about 20 years on the side. The nice thing is that I've worked for a lumberyard for 7 years and have an older brother that does construction work for some pointers on how to build stuff.
The window idea I got from someone else's project here on Skoolie. I almost wish I had taken the little metal outside panels off and pulled a single sheet of metal over the ribs. It would have looked better and ended up being smoother. But leaving them in place and putting the sheet metal in from the inside was SO much easier! I guess it doesn't look bad
, just not quite was I was envisioning.
What I did was to carefully measure the dimensions of the windows from the inside and then take those measurements to a metal shop for bending. I had them put on a 1" lip top and bottom with no lip on the sides. I then screwed through the top and bottom to attach them to the lips above and below the windows. Then on the outside, I screwed through that metal finishing plate that separates the windows at measured intervals to make the screw heads fit in with the existing rivets.
I'll try to find a picture that shows how I did it.
Originally Posted by putterspitt
is your bus wider that 8' ? I was just wondering why you didnt put the plywood across the bus to have less seams?
I was thinking of that, but with the seat rail on the wall, it's impossible. The plywood actually was laid across, but you can't get it to clear those seat rails and go down against the floor. I had to cut them in half to get them in. The inside width of the bus is about 92 inches.
Sorry for the long delays in updating this thread. So much going on it seems... Working 60 hours a week at odd hours, holidays, getting quite sick a few weeks ago, etc, etc, etc. And the fact that I'm sort of living in the bus, makes getting stuff done kind of a nightmare.
What I'm doing is using the bus as sort of a bedroom right now. I'm staying with my younger sister for the time being, and although her original idea was for me to stay in the house, I can't do that because she has a cat and I'm allergic to them. I have no desire to wake up in the middle of night wheezing and coughing. :P So having all my "bedroom junk" in the bus, it makes getting stuff done quite a task since I have to move everything out to work on it.
Another thing holding me back is that I have a project that I just finished in the way of all my building materials and work area. This Christmas, I built a picnic table for my older sister, and it's still sitting in the garage until we get a chance to take it out to my sister's house. There's no room to work on anything in the garage right now.
What I have
been able to do since the last update was to get most of the new linoleum in. I say most because I bought the 12 inch square stuff and got all of it installed except for the little border around the outside where I have to cut every piece. I don't think I have any pictures of it right now, but I'll try to get some soon.