Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-27-2018, 04:06 PM   #41
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 5,753
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frochevy View Post
I'm only 5'9". Before tearing the floor out I had 76" in the middle of the bus. I should have around 77" now the rubber and ply wood is gone. I haven't torn a ceiling panel off yet. I don't plan to raise the roof (at least with my first bus).

I have to replace floor pans in sections. Even tho no one will see it, I'll know it's there... Lol
How much headroom will you lose when you insulate and add flooring?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:26 PM   #42
Skoolie
 
Frochevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Wamego Ks
Posts: 159
Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_In_MA View Post
I'd consider it. Some of the adhesive advertise that the adhesive joint will actually be stronger then the metal its joining. (Kinda like gluing balsa with super glue - the glue won't fail, the Balasa will splinter first.)

I'm not even sure I'd spring for the 3M stuff on the floor. While you want it watertight, it's a panel that's going to be sitting horizontally, on top of another panel, with a sheet of wood/foam on top of it. There's very little lateral force on it. I'm fairly sure that the metal under the floor is to keep the bus weathertight more then anything else. The plywood takes most of the load.
I've read the same things you are saying and it makes sense to me. That's why I'm considering it. You do make a good point regarding the 3m adhesive. It is expensive and is probably over kill. I actually thought about just using a normal seam sealer as well.
Frochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:30 PM   #43
Skoolie
 
Frochevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Wamego Ks
Posts: 159
Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
How much headroom will you lose when you insulate and add flooring?
I'm not sure. I have to decide on flooring first... Lol I'm asking for opinions... I thought about some 1" close cell insulation (like maybe the pink insulation sheets?) Then cover with 1/2" ply wood followed by a vinyl click together "wood look" flooring over the top of the plywood... If I go that route I would be back to around 1 3/4" used up? So I would have 75" give or take in the middle of the bus?

I would like to remove the metal sheeting on inside of ceiling and add insulation and tongue and groove boards like some have done.

If I could only insulate one place it would probably be the roof...
Frochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:34 PM   #44
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 5,753
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frochevy View Post
I'm not sure. I have to decide on flooring first... Lol I'm asking for opinions... I thought about some 1" close cell insulation (like maybe the pink insulation sheets?) Then cover with 1/2" ply wood followed by a vinyl click together "wood look" flooring over the top of the plywood... If I go that route I would be back to around 1 3/4" used up? So I would have 75" give or take in the middle of the bus?

I would like to remove the metal sheeting on inside of ceiling and add insulation and tongue and groove boards like some have done.

If I could only insulate one place it would probably be the roof...
Be a total waste to insulate only one place, though insulating the ceiling will definitely ward off some dirt sunlight heat, but if you plan on spending any time in the bus ceiling, walls, and floor need to be insulated.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:12 PM   #45
Skoolie
 
Frochevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Wamego Ks
Posts: 159
Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Be a total waste to insulate only one place, though insulating the ceiling will definitely ward off some dirt sunlight heat, but if you plan on spending any time in the bus ceiling, walls, and floor need to be insulated.
Yeah over the summer in the sun, the ceiling inside was very hot to the touch. So I at least want to ditch the metal ceiling panels. I plan to insualte the walls as well. If I keep the original bus windows I think that will be a lot of heat loss/heat coming in summer. I've made some covers for the windows to try and they work well. I also plan to remove the original bus door and put in a camper door.

We'll just be camping and tailgating. So not too long of periods staying in it. All I know is last summer when it's 100 degrees out it's that or worse in the bus if parked and not running with AC on. So I want to be comfortable in 100 degree heat and warm in cold weather as well...
Frochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:03 PM   #46
Skoolie
 
Frochevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Wamego Ks
Posts: 159
Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
Floor removal

Well after seeing all the motivation of you good folks on this site, I have been motivated to get back to work on my bus. I now have my 3rd child on the ground. He is about two weeks old now! I am finally done getting ready for another kid and I am able to work on some projects here and there.

I had a buddy stop by after work this evening and help me pull the rest of the rubber mat. I have had back issues in the past and I didn't want to mess it up again yanking on that! I ran a straight hoe under it while he pulled and it came up very quickly. I was able to remove most of the bolts with my cordless impact with only a few stripping out. Some that were really gummed up I cleaned out with an awl and/or used a hammer to seat the torx bit down into the head before using the impact. There was a slight splatter of a red adhesive between the plywood and the galvanized sheet metal floor. I used a crow bar to pop the wood up. The sheet metal is very thin so I tried to stay over a support when prying.

I'll get better pics after I get everything cleaned out and put in the trailer to head to the dump.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190315_215214.jpg (237.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20190315_215157.jpg (232.3 KB, 11 views)
Frochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:52 AM   #47
Skoolie
 
farok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 153
Year: 2003
Chassis: Chevy cut-away 6-window shortie
Engine: 6.0L Gasser
Looking good so far! Thanks for posting, and congrats on the new member of the family!
__________________
My build thread: http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/fi...ild-25804.html
farok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:06 PM   #48
Skoolie
 
Frochevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Wamego Ks
Posts: 159
Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
Roof panels

I had some little helpers today picking up the floor screws and sweeping. I got all of the wood and rubber thrown into the trailer that will go to the dump.

Then I decided to take a few roof panels down to see what I'm dealing with. It looks like the roof panels are 22 gauge. I plan to use the panels to repair sections of the floor.

I have a few questions I would like some input:

1. I was thinking of going with the foil faced polyiso insulation on the floor. Initially was going with 1", then put 1/2" ply wood back over it. Should I go 1/2" on floor,? Or should I do something totally different on the floor?

2. What should I insulate roof with? I know in the summer the roof panels get hot to the touch. I think this is due to steel on steel. I plan to use wood of some sort for the ceiling but want to keep fair amount of head room. Any thoughts?

3. Walls? Same polyiso? 1"?

4. Windows? I'm really thinking about getting some sheet metal and removing all side windows then put a few RV windows with screens back in where needed. Any down falls to this idea? I've seen others do it and like how it looks!

5. Propane storage- I'm thinking of making a storage area at passenger rear to hold two grill size propane bottles. There will be open bottom and access door on the outside. I'm not sure if this is legal for Kansas but not sure where to find out? Although not sure why it wouldn't be legal. I just want ensure it is safe if I do it.

I have more I'm sure but I'll limit it to 5 for now... Lol thanks for your input!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190316_203746.jpg (105.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20190316_203916.jpg (102.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20190316_204007.jpg (142.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20190316_203901.jpg (213.6 KB, 9 views)
Frochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:09 PM   #49
Skoolie
 
Frochevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Wamego Ks
Posts: 159
Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
Little helpers

Here's my helpers today... And most days I'm in the bus... Lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190316_154745.jpg (237.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20190316_161019.jpg (242.1 KB, 9 views)
Frochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:19 PM   #50
Bus Nut
 
Rovobay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Damascus, OR
Posts: 574
Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frochevy View Post

I have a few questions I would like some input:

1. I was thinking of going with the foil faced polyiso insulation on the floor. Initially was going with 1", then put 1/2" ply wood back over it. Should I go 1/2" on floor,? Or should I do something totally different on the floor?

2. What should I insulate roof with? I know in the summer the roof panels get hot to the touch. I think this is due to steel on steel. I plan to use wood of some sort for the ceiling but want to keep fair amount of head room. Any thoughts?

3. Walls? Same polyiso? 1"?

4. Windows? I'm really thinking about getting some sheet metal and removing all side windows then put a few RV windows with screens back in where needed. Any down falls to this idea? I've seen others do it and like how it looks!

5. Propane storage- I'm thinking of making a storage area at passenger rear to hold two grill size propane bottles. There will be open bottom and access door on the outside. I'm not sure if this is legal for Kansas but not sure where to find out? Although not sure why it wouldn't be legal. I just want ensure it is safe if I do it.
Hey, I can tell you what i did and why. take it with a grain of salt!

1. insulation depends on your temperture range you plan to encounter. I will be in cold weather at high elevations when I go Elk hunting in Oregon in OctNov. I went with 2" insulation on the floor. Something else to consider is your overall height of the interior and how much space you need. how tall are you or the tallest person using the bus.

2. some people spray foam but that can be spendy. I just used foam board 1.5" fit flush with the ribs of my bus. I am in the process of a cedar tongue and groove board install. boards are an inch thick, so I am lowering the roof by 1 inch.

3. chair rails in my bus were sticking out 1.5 inches so I built out the walls 1.5 inches and used 2x2 (actual size is 1.5x1.5) for framing. worked out pretty good.

4. no input but curious as I have several windows I salvaged from a camper I gutted for my build

5. see my build thread for what I did for my propane tanks. my build thread is in the link below my signature here.

Cheers!!!
__________________
My Build: http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/sk...doo-22140.html

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.