Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2010, 01:22 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Re: My short bus "Rolly"

I posted over in your battery charging thread, but comments on your great diagram:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmonkk
. . .
Edit* #2 The charge controler should be connected to the battery not the battery charger?!
Comment #1 - Yes, the output of the charge controller and the output of the battery charger both go to the battery bank, but if there are terminals on the charger that are convenient to make the connection there, its OK as long as the wires are heavy enough for the current expected.
Comment #2 - With the battery selector switch your parts man gave you, the master switch in the drawing is redundant. The selector switch IS the master switch. Any switch less beefy than the selector may be too small for a master, depending on your 12-volt usage.
Comment #3 - RV "converters" act as both power supplies and battery chargers. Having a separate charger may be a waste of money.

What software do you use for your drawings? My pencil-on-napkin drawings look really old-fashioned.

Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:32 AM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 3800
Rated Cap: 34

I looked at your electrical drawings...

You really should put in an isolator. I am using Hellroaring isolators. I also am installing a trimetric battery monitor. I have a pretty detailed drawing on paper and will post it once I either scan it or do it on the computer. It covers my AC and DC systems. For the short term, look at this site: http://jmayer6.tripod.com/id16.html. It is done pretty well and is a good place to start. I do not know a lot about RV's- but I do about boats and the power systems there. I also installed a seperate 3 stage battery charger that can charge up to 3 battery banks.

Let me know any specific questions and I will try and help.

https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/index...es/PAIR-A-DOCS
cjgbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:00 AM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Not as pretty as yours...

http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/v/Sk...ture1.jpg.html

Old 11-18-2010, 07:14 AM   #24
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

Might have the wife look into those tiny freezers and one of the temp controllers. Smaller motors and a temp controller would draw so little power and keep a perfect temp. They have chest freezers about the size of large coolers now days. Smitty has a thread on them and I came across this temp controller the other day http://screwdecaf.cx/yatc.html
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

I don't know how many days at a time you will be away from civilization, but I found that NEWER coolers ( we had 2 coolers from who knows when-borrowed a 3rd that was a 1 year old Colman) can keep ice for up to 5 days. Our older one it was gone after a couple of days-but after filling a new one Fri morning-having it sitting in the sun in Aug ,it lasted all weekend-then sat in the yard till I had a chance to empty it , there was still some ice in it Weds.!

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:37 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Detailed Electrical Plan: Buckeye Pair-a-Docs

I cleaned up my electrical plan. Right click on it and click "view image". Let me know if you have any questions or comments. Also, my "shore power" connections are 125V/30A twist connectors, same as used on a boat. I can either plug into standard 110VAC outlets with adapters, use standard 30A connectors, or plus into portable generators. I am using 2 desperate AC panels so I don't have to worry about correct phases. I am not going to run anything that requires 220V. I put all the essential stuff, that is not dual voltage on the first bus that can connect to the inverter. This is a tailgating bus, so it is basically the satellite system, TV's, HVAC, etc. Everything else will be off the second bus and will run off of 12 volts when on the road or the generator when parked. My battery charger will be on that circuit, since the alternator will hopefully keep up with things while on the road.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:47 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

ohhh purdy
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Holy crudola, man! Screw the conversion and get to healing. Wishing you good health!
Old 12-01-2010, 06:32 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Not as bad as David's. Gotta love those chiropractors! It cost us a pile but it was worth it. Beat the alternative that "real" doctors always gave him (operation and a 50% chance of being able to walk after wards).
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:33 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

take it easy! relax infront of the computer for a bit!

canadian tire has nice little Danby freezers on sale.

Danby Chest Freezer, 3.6 Cu. Ft - online says 199 but in store is 129

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/8 ... ?locale=en
Old 12-02-2010, 08:42 AM   #31
Bus Crazy

don't forget she can use the top of the fridge as counter top space. just has to move stuff to open it lol. a removable tray or something would work though.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #32
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Engine: DT466/AT545

My lower back looks a lot like your neck. Curves the wrong way. I've tried chiropractic and PT, and found that the PT helped me a lot more than the Chiropractor. Of course each person and their maladies are unique and may respond to different things. The good thing about PT is they give you exercises you can do on your own. I'ts not so easy to do a chiropractic adjustment on yourself.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:17 PM   #33
Bus Nut

Might tell the wife that spot there would be perfect for a fancy wood cutting board
Old 12-07-2010, 03:34 PM   #34
Bus Crazy

ive wondered about those things. so far no-one in canada in my area has true "unlimited" sasktel wants like 80+ a month for that and rogers is cheap till you go over 500megs then they bend you over good. and the coverage area for rogers sucks... gf had a rogers phone and we moved and it no longer worked.. it was maybe 10 blocks away..
Old 12-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #35
zim
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 82
Chassis: TransitLiner
Engine: Cummins 5.9l
Rated Cap: 72

This looks pretty neat! I can see a small tube which would probably work for a vent, then input.. output... two other connections...wonder if it could collect the sink water, too? I only plan on putting one sink in the bus, on the back side of the shower wall and this could simplify a few plumbing issues. Nice find!
Old 12-14-2010, 12:27 PM   #36
Bus Crazy

nice find!! just remember to turn it on first lol!
Old 12-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #37
zim
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 82
Chassis: TransitLiner
Engine: Cummins 5.9l
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmonkk
So it looks like it will work for the sink water also
Great! Now I can sling the grey water on the other side of the bus and put the black right below the toilet. Re: your request for pics on the current bus, I'll get a 'best of' gallery together this weekend. Work really crawled to a halt once I started living in it, but other than needing to finish the cabinet sanding, painting and making doors, it's pretty much done.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:56 AM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

SHower sumps...

I'm an original boater guy transformed into a skoolie as well. The sumps have a float switch and will come on once enough water is in the pan. You can connect several drains if close and if they don't overwhelm the capacity. You should wire it into its own breaker on your 12VDC panel. The cover is nice, the ones one my boat are open. They also have a strainer to collect hair and other debris, so make sure you can get to it fairly easy.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:43 AM   #39
Bus Crazy

now you know why that one guy had a foot of insulation around his bus lol. (that guy selling the bus with the roughed framed plywood and stove in it)
Old 12-31-2010, 10:33 AM   #40
Bus Nut

Ooh if that is that bubble reflectix stuff then $75 for that whole bunch is a damn good deal. Small rolls usually go $50 at Lowes. Might want to make sure the bubbles haven't been popped though. Worthless without the air.