Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2014, 04:46 PM   #1
Skoolie

Re: Need help registering in CT

To get it insured and registered as a RV then you have to have the title changed to a motor home. MY might stand for Mybus, a Thomas Built mini bus product, so thats my best bet. Since you need it to be registered quick, register it as commercial. Since you don't want to have a shower or any of that then if it was registered as a MH it might be denied coverage in a accident. Just my thoughts...

jmar896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:01 PM   #2

Year: 1991

Really?? I wasn't getting that from what I have read here. I didn't think the title had to say RV to go the camper route.
Weird.
VuduVudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:06 PM   #3

That is interesting about the Thomas bus. I was getting so confused by the MY since when I looked it up as a body style the only references I found were to three wheelers.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:21 PM   #4

Since the title does not say anything about bus I am wondering if I can just register it like a van if the camper situation gets to be too much of a headache. I don't know what the DMV person will make of it saying Cutaway and MY but maybe I can just catch the right person on the right day.

I'm just trying to figure out what direction to go in before I start..as far as insurance etc.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:24 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75

For a shortbus, they tend to be ~15 thousand pounds, so you can, in theory, get away without a CDL (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Best bet, call DMV's main office for information. I did that, and got the bible on what I need to do to flip the title to an RV from NJ's Motor Vehicle Commission.

Its for the big guys, like my 75 pax with airbrakes, that need to have the title changed over to RV so we don't fall into the CDL requirements. And I'm having the same issue with insurance. I had Progressive, through Good Sam, but they dropped me after two weeks (invalid body style); Foremost will insure a bus conversion, but only if its professional job.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:35 PM   #6

Oh I def don't need a CDL I know that but what my options are for insurance and registering are still way foggy to me.
Btw from reading on here I gathered that you might be able to get insurance through GMAC or State Farm but again I am foggy and trying to figure this out.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:39 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by VuduVudu
Oh I def don't need a CDL I know that but what my options are for insurance and registering are still way foggy to me.
Btw from reading on here I gathered that you might be able to get insurance through GMAC or State Farm but again I am foggy and trying to figure this out.
Check with your local agent for State Farm. As for me, I live in New Jersey, so GMAC is already off the table. Most insurance underwriters I've talked to don't write policies for NJ residents, mainly because the state has to approve who comes in.

And like I said, check with DMV central office. They can at least clear up the fog on registering.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:11 PM   #8

I guess..
it's not like I am shady in general but asking them (DMV) is a tough one as they can sometimes over complicate things and may get me in a weird situation.
I know this from buying/driving vintage vehicles for years.
I tend to try and find out all the pitfalls ahead of time since often people have gone before and worked out the kinks so to speak.

Thanks for all of the help!
Old 06-10-2014, 10:26 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

I just walked into DMV (Old Saybrook) to reg my shortie-it had been registered commercial before me. Just filled out the paperwork + asked for camper plates + they never asked a question.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:21 AM   #10

That is good to know sdwarf! I think I was setting myself up for problems by asking about "my school bus"
Where did you get your insurance through?
Old 08-11-2014, 01:02 PM   #11

Year: 2004
Coachwork: supreme
Chassis: e450
Engine: v10
Rated Cap: 16

Ok CT Sucks! Kept changing the requirements as to what is a camper. Told me to give up and register as it was commercial.
HA! then they changed the requirement for that too! Now you need a form 25 business liability proof of insurance.

1) if your bus is less than 12.5 gvw you CAN register it as a pass van! If higher your screwed! You need to goto the main office for inspection and now they want full plumbing! but.................. all is not lost! and BTW alstate had no problems insuring it as a camper.

Register it in VT! All you need is a Vin Verification in CT at one of the emission stations, you can do it by mail but short ride and you can have your plates same day!

Bring proof you paid the sales tax when you bought it.

Will update this if we keep the bus. I am going to take it back to Ct dmv as a out of state motorhome and see how that goes. should work cuz VT says its a camper!
ScrewCt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:02 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Rule 1 in playing Ct DMV--go to Old Saybrook!!!!! All the rest are in Cities--where the local populus are trying to play tricks all day. O.S. dmw has the feel of a small business that whats you there. They aren't pushovers-but they dont try to bust you balls just because they can. (AKA the Monster-Wethersfield)
I (actually my wife-maybe thats a help) just walked in and said Camper-and that was it. 14.5k gross-former Commercial plate-and I presume former Livery plate.
I like the Vt. angle-I had that as plan B. (Mother lives up there +I'm up there constantly.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:31 AM   #13

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado
Chassis: Ford E-450 Super Duty
Engine: 6.8 liter, V10 gasoline
Rated Cap: 24

I register my bus as private use in connecticut and I had to remove most of the seats and left a total of 8 seating seats and it was register as a 2000 Ford e450 super duty cutaway and the insurance the same way
LaAurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:19 PM   #14

CT nightmare

Before buying my short bus (Corbeil 14-seater on an E350), I called CT DMV to check that I wouldn't need a CDL or any other craziness. I was very clear that it was a small school bus, and they said that as long as it was under 26K GVW, I was in the clear.

So I got all my documentation in order, waited 3.5 hours at the DMV, and they told me everything was fine except that I owed city car taxes. Of course, I DON'T owe taxes, and I showed them this on the Hartford city website, but Hartford doesn't bother to enter info into DMV's database, so I had to go to city hall for a paper certificate.

The next day at the DMV, after a two hour wait, they said that actually, I couldn't register my bus if it was yellow. So now I have to get the damn thing painted. I'm sure that when I go back they'll tell me that something else needs to happen.
Presidente de China is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:47 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Let me guess-Weathersfield DMV? For the 2 hour wait-you should drive to Old Saybrook-get in + out in 15 miinutes-take time for lunch-drive back and still be home before you'd be waited on. ;)