Old 10-23-2016, 12:34 AM   #1
Bus Nut

"Needs a driveshaft" ?

Found this for $700. Our goal is to move our piano cheaply across country (it cost a couple of thousand to move it out here - I don't want to talk about it). The plan has been to buy a bus, gut it, move all of our belongings and camp along the way, and sell it at the other end. But it might be more prudent to get a smaller (read: cheaper) bus for us, the piano, and our beds, and palletize and ship the limited amount of stuff we will want at the other end. Thoughts on short-bus-and-ship-some? Thoughts on this bus I found on Craigslist just now?

1985 econoline 350. all it needs is a drive shaft. runs good make an offer. 460 engine c6 transmission

Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:08 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
any drive line shop can make a drive shaft for that, will cost around $350 for a drive shaft, do they say what happened to the old drive shaft?
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:47 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
any drive line shop can make a drive shaft for that, will cost around $350 for a drive shaft, do they say what happened to the old drive shaft?
Interesting that a custom driveshaft is an option: I couldn't find anything online. so this may be an option they had not considered.

Haven't been in touch with them (I emailed 'em after midnight).

Would you consider this vehicle? I should think that one would want to pay reeeeal close attention to brake lines and tire age, and hire a mechanic to look it over.
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 03:46 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
$700 looks like it has been setting for some time. It may be easier to sell the bus if you buy a SKoolie and take out some seats. or work with some one looking to transport one across the country you may not even need to buy it. But i would rather drive a skoolie that was just in service than a old over loaded for van. just looks like trouble to me? they don't even need to be your own town they can come get it and its just a lot closer. Not having to get your money or mess with selling is price less. A 40ft $2k skoolie will be easier to sell than that bus.
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:04 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
are you just wanting a bus as a moving van or are you planning on having a bus to use as a camper or living quarters at some point?

seems like some of these skoolies that go cheap with smaller engines and AT545's would be a good choice as a moving van... you can move slowly to not ruin the transmision and then sell the bus at the other end... who knows what caused the shaft to break on this van? did the yoke get damaged? or the pinion ? is the transmission slip yoke still there? a driveshaft that falls off and is lost over a cliff or stolen for scrap often has the tranny slip yoke with it...

busted U-joints sometimes damage the vehicle parts they came from deopending on how it broke.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:34 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
Might have pulled the driveshaft for towing?
First thing i would do--measure the door to make sure a piano will fit.

my bus build http://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:53 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post
Found this for $700. Our goal is to move our piano cheaply across country (it cost a couple of thousand to move it out here - I don't want to talk about it). The plan has been to buy a bus, gut it, move all of our belongings and camp along the way, and sell it at the other end. But it might be more prudent to get a smaller (read: cheaper) bus for us, the piano, and our beds, and palletize and ship the limited amount of stuff we will want at the other end. Thoughts on short-bus-and-ship-some? Thoughts on this bus I found on Craigslist just now?

1985 econoline 350. all it needs is a drive shaft. runs good make an offer. 460 engine c6 transmission

460 engine parts are super high priced. How do you know it doesn't have a cracked block or a popped freeze plug.?

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 10:42 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Yea i agree with the suspicious vibe here that drive shaft is unlikely the only problem.

So often people sell something that "only needs -------" well if it REALLY only needs that simple part it does not make much sense to sell it cheap rather than replacing it.
And i can't stress enough how CHEAP a vehicle needs to be for me to buy one i cant test drive, really it is only worth scrap price.

And lastly that style will be more difficult to sell than a skoolie.

Good luck!
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 10:53 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison 545
Rated Cap: 2
just my 2 cents..... but the fuel for a 460 to drive across the country is going to be crazy high.

you can figure it yourself here.

Trip Cost Calculator - Maximize Your Fuel Savings - GasBuddy.com
Old 10-23-2016, 12:08 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carytowncat View Post
Yea i agree with the suspicious vibe here that drive shaft is unlikely the only problem.

So often people sell something that "only needs -------" well if it REALLY only needs that simple part it does not make much sense to sell it cheap rather than replacing it.
And i can't stress enough how CHEAP a vehicle needs to be for me to buy one i cant test drive, really it is only worth scrap price.

And lastly that style will be more difficult to sell than a skoolie.

Good luck!
I would suspicion that the drive shaft was removed or left out after a tranny failure/inspection or some other major failure. so it could be easily moved around.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote