Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2011, 06:20 PM   #1

New guy wanting to start a project 93 e350?

Ok guys,
I am really happy someone turned me on to this forum, i've been blindly flailing about trying to gather enough info to make a good decision.

So I want to have a vehicle that is for 2 purposes
1: hauls 3 or 4 motorcycles for overnight trips
essentially load up the gear and the bikes, head out, unload the bikes - use the bus for sleeping, etc

2. use it as a car hauler - hook on the trailer pulling the race car - go to the track for 2 dayts - sleep in the bus, carry gear in the bus and haul tools and gear - etc.
I do have a propane stove out of a camper, as well as an Onan 4K generator I figure I can put on this unit.

So I am looking at using a shorty bus for this. I looked at cube vans - they seem alot flimsyer, and are beat to hell - and cost alot.
It seems to me a fleet bus from a large well of school district might be the way to go, I would assume regular maintanance etc.

According to the seller:
1993 Ford E350 Van Mini- School Bus with 7.3L.......DIESEL ENGINE Auto trans
Bought directly from School District. Seats 12 to 16 people.
Exterior paint is in good condition. Base coat is School District yellow.
Brakes should be in Good condition.
Eight lug wheels with 1 ton running gear gives you a very strong base to work with.
Air Conditioning and heater system is in great shape.
Brand new batteries
Collins school bus body on a E350 chassis.
Is this a good starting point? I am concerned about gear ratios, and long rear overhangs (bad for towing trailers)
I assume I can use the VIN to find out the rear end ratios
I can get it for 2K, and I'm looking to beat him down a bit more - if this really is a good starting place!
So you guiys tell me - I know nothing - and am here to learn!
Carl Johansson
Auberry ca

carl johansson is offline   Reply With Quote