Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2009, 11:38 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
New short bus project

Not me, my friend's brother (whose wife blames me, but anyway...).

He just bought his shell, a 1998 Blue Bird TranShuttle, front engine. It's a shorty (a TC1000), about 28' long, with a 24V 5.9 Cummins (175HP), lockup 4-speed Allison (I'm hoping for a 643 instead of the oddball AT500), full air brakes, rear air suspension, and 265/70R19.5 tires (all six in good shape, though four different brands). It was once a WC bus, but the lift has been removed, replaced with extra seats. The entire right side from the front door to just ahead of the WC door is one long bench seat, driver's side is the usual 2-person seats (total capacity is 28 people plus the driver). It has road A/C (added on after it was built, and rear only, which is WEIRD), 2 rear heaters, factory cruise control (working), ABS, sliding windows (right-side ones siliconed shut...I don't wanna know), and two roof hatches.

Body is solid, no rust. The only major issues are a cracked panel in the entry door and BB's idiotic electronic gauge panel setup being seriously FUBAR'd.

Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:46 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350
Re: New short bus project

yes jaraxle you are to be blamed! sounds like a nice bus though......
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

He bought it from the place I used to work...it's in good shape, about 110,000 miles (albeit pretty hard miles).

And it has a new lift pump and new injector pump installed in 2005, should be good for another 300K or so. (It's getting a fuel pressure gauge anyway.)

It was really cheap due to being rebuilt...when it was new, it was in service less than a year when the entire right side of it burned, and was later repaired (hence the removed WC lift, & mismatched right-side mirror). There was no structural damage, and we really don't care.

He did just tell me that it's missing two of the stainless steel wheel simulators...it only has them on the rear wheels.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:23 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

What is the cruising speed? I've been looking at the blue bird tc2000 shorty but from what I see the TranShuttle is the same size (a little lower though). It must be nice having the sliders already there.
skojolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:25 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

WIth the 265/70R19.5's and 3.54 gears, it will run 70+ (governed about 75 or so). It seems happiest at 65, which is about 2300RPM. Most should have the rear axle ratio on a data plate inside the bus...this one has it on the front bulkhead above the windshield.

There are plenty of 40' TC2000's out there. This one would be a TC1000. The giveaway is the wheels: 2000's have 22.5" wheels, 1000's have the 19.5's. It does have a completely flat floor (except, obviously, for the engine doghouse) with no wheelhouses.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14

Got to like them little buses. I drive one of them with hydrolic brakes often. They handle good and ride alright. As to the speed I think they like is more around 50 to 55 and not much faster as the fuel economy plummets fast after that. And those big sliding windows are really great. The one I drive I pulled out the little plastic stops so the windows open farther.

Oh yeah we want pictures.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:57 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Re: New short bus project update

Learning experiences today:
Really bad beer can get you some nice conversion parts.
Even with no lift, the WC door is nice to load & unload big, bulky stuff (like seats).
On a 1998 TC1000, the WC door being open locks the brakes.
Whoever designed BB's idiotic electronic dash was an idiot.

Cheap dinette: a local KFC was being renovated, and they were throwing away a bunch of booths. A 20-pack of Coors Light bottles & a 36-pack of Natural Ice cans got us one large booth, two smaller booths, one hybrid booth (2-seat bench on one side, 1-seat on the other, angled table), and help loading them into our trucks. The guy's aunt used to upholster furniture and offered to make coveres for them.

He also scored a folding seat from a dleivery truck to use as a passenger seat (will fit over the entry steps).

And yes, it DOES have an MT643 transmission.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:47 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

The interior had been stripped, and it hit the road for the first long run yesterday: central Massachusetts to Albany, NY to pick up the Honda EU2000 genset he bought off Craigslist. Running 65MPH with CC set most of the way, he reports 13.2MPG. (!)
Old 10-10-2009, 10:59 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Inside is mostly done, mostly RV stuff stripped out of an old Mallard trailer with major water damage...front escape hatch now has a 15,000BTU air conditioner (rear is still in place), screens have been built for the windows and rear (WC) door, most of the plumbing is done except the hookup for the outdoor grille (14" round propane grille, $7 at Star Market).

Any suggestions as to ways of carrying the genset (Eu2000)? The first long trip, it rode in another guy's pickup.

Also, anyone ever put a hitch on a TC series Bird?
Old 10-11-2009, 05:55 PM   #10
Almost There

Year: 1991
Coachwork: international
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 22

Hi ,welcome to schoolie forum . Sounds like the project is coming along ok .

This is a good place to find help with these conversions .
shortstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:43 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo

PICTURES??? Welcome! We need pictures!!
Sounds like you guys are making some progress on the shorty!
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote