Old 05-16-2019, 10:43 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

New to Skoolie, Is this a good choice?!

I'm wanting to finally get into a bus, I've been putting it off for entirely too long.

So my first pick right now from what I can find is this 85 Vandura Bus. It's only got 40k miles and it's going for $3500.

I'd like to say we plan to live in it full time, but I don't know if we'll pull that off or not for various life reasons. That's the plan anyway. Though we'll travel, we're going to be stuck in those areas for a decent bit, likely months since we're wildlife researchers.

What say you skoolie wise ones?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00D0D_1vQojOsHdxC_1200x900.jpg (51.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 00K0K_jSoTKwaFTzq_1200x900.jpg (55.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 00c0c_bpU0nK3S619_1200x900.jpg (66.6 KB, 16 views)
Oxide7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:54 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I know it's not a typical speedo or dash as a bus would have, but I would be suspect of that low of mileage on a 34yo bus. Can you verify that? That bus should be in near new condition with that low of mileage.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:56 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I know it's not a typical speedo or dash as a bus would have, but I would be suspect of that low of mileage on a 34yo bus. Can you verify that? That bus should be in near new condition with that low of mileage.
How would I verify it? VIN check?

He's the second owner and he gutted the floors and walls which is why it looks dirty. He planned on converting it and lost motivation. The first owner was a nursing home apparently.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:02 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxide7 View Post
How would I verify it? VIN check?

He's the second owner and he gutted the floors and walls which is why it looks dirty. He planned on converting it and lost motivation. The first owner was a nursing home apparently.
If you could find any maintenance records or able to find the original owner and ask.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:07 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
If you could find any maintenance records or able to find the original owner and ask.
Good idea. I'm gonna go look at it Saturday and I'll definitely ask about those. If it checks out, do you think it's a sound deal?

I'm hoping to negotiate down a bit, simply cus I've seen so many better deals on here, but I can never find anything much better than that in the Greater Nashville area for some reason.

EDIT: I just verified the VIN and the mileage. I work for the state and have a few connections with people able to check the VIN. It's also passed emissions here too just recently.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:42 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: Chevy cut-away 6-window shortie
Engine: 6.0L Gasser
One thing to consider is the inside height - it looks like it'll be a bit short, especially if you plan to put insulation in the floor and ceiling. I can't speak to prices, but just trying to be practical in that sense, if that matters to you.

Chris
Old 05-16-2019, 11:53 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by farok View Post
One thing to consider is the inside height - it looks like it'll be a bit short, especially if you plan to put insulation in the floor and ceiling. I can't speak to prices, but just trying to be practical in that sense, if that matters to you.

Chris
It's 6ft high inside. I'm barely 5'8" and the Wife is a couple inches shorter. Figured that was good enough even if we lose a couple inches to insulation right?

Kind of related, but we've also considered doing a raised middle on whatever bus we get that would stand about 4-6 inches higher with windows the hole length just as a skylight extra space thing. Not sure we want to do a whole roof lift though, but who knows. It sure wouldn't be the crazies thing our family has taken on as a project.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:03 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: Chevy cut-away 6-window shortie
Engine: 6.0L Gasser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxide7 View Post
It's 6ft high inside. I'm barely 5'8" and the Wife is a couple inches shorter. Figured that was good enough even if we lose a couple inches to insulation right?

Kind of related, but we've also considered doing a raised middle on whatever bus we get that would stand about 4-6 inches higher with windows the hole length just as a skylight extra space thing. Not sure we want to do a whole roof lift though, but who knows. It sure wouldn't be the crazies thing our family has taken on as a project.
Glad you've considered the height! As for the raised middle, I know it's possible - I think there are other threads on here about it - but consider the strength of the bus is using the ribs that cross the roof, so you'd have to consider that as well.

Chris
Old 05-16-2019, 12:07 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by farok View Post
Glad you've considered the height! As for the raised middle, I know it's possible - I think there are other threads on here about it - but consider the strength of the bus is using the ribs that cross the roof, so you'd have to consider that as well.

Chris
Good point. Didn't really think about that... Makes sense why people do full roof raises. Oh well. Hopefully we don't lose more than a couple inches from insulation and we'll be golden.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:24 PM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30
Engine: 350 Chevy
Rated Cap: 10K
Not to rain on your parade, but I have a 4 window and it works for me. However if 2 people were living in it full time, it would be tight.
As long as you are close to your wife and don't mind bumping elbows and moving out of the way of one another occasionally, it might work for you?
Something to consider before you pull the trigger.

Pricewise with the low miles, that seems to be a good deal. It would really depend on a top to bottom inspection though.
Good luck on your ideas...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote