Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2017, 02:58 PM   #1

New to this

Hello skoolies,

I am new to this whole conversion thing but through searching throughout this website I have learned a lot. Regardless, I still have a question that has been hard for me to find a clear answers to. A few of my friends and I are looking to convert a short bus, (a Ford E450 for say) and I have this question.

1. We are not looking to do anymore than put a set of bunk beds, a couch, a mini fridge, and some storage. I am from New Jersey and I have seen here that in order to be an RV you need the sink and all the requirements of a motorhome. Can this be considered a van for registration and insurance purposes? Just trying to see if there are other alternatives. Thank you.

spence5134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:19 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Florida was pretty simple. All I had to do was sign an affidavit saying that I put in 110 power or gas cooking or a water system. But it took awhile to find the affidavit. Even the DMV did not have it on hand until I give them the number. Does New Jersey have something like that?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
yellowxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:41 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
You should really look at the F-450 6.0 discussion in this thread;

Single mom, First time school
Old 04-19-2017, 04:04 PM   #4

Thank you for that link. I was using the Ford for size purposes, I am still months away from buying a bus. Was trying to get an idea for information on busses of that size.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:11 PM   #5
Bus Geek

You've already started to get an idea about buses of that size. Not everyone hates the 6.0 obviously. I've been watching the 450 cutaways lately because there are so many of them for sale and fairly cheap. They're really high priced on eBay though.

It's pleasing to see you come here before you buy a bus. Most come here with problems after buying a... less desirable bus.

Are you looking for a bus in all the usual places? Would you travel interstate for the right bus?
Old 04-19-2017, 04:20 PM   #6

Yea I have been looking at auction sites and such. We were also looking at our local school district as we have personal connections with the Board of Ed here to see if they could help us when they are looking to sell their busses. I would travel to another state to find a bus but nowhere crazy,probably at most around 7 hours.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:48 PM   #7
Bus Geek

That's where most of us like to get our buses, at the bus barn. If you follow the "Nonaffiliated buses for sale Thread" you'll likely discover some new places to look for buses.

It would help if you'd flesh out your profile a little. 7 hours from where?