Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2018, 12:16 AM   #1

Newb. 7.3 Shuttle Van bought. Build maybe 🤷🏼*♂️

First post. Little intro. See where we go.

Dad 35
Mom 33
Son 9
Vegas crew.
Like outdoors, dirtbikes/rzr/bikes/camping etc. would like to move towards more freedom and some road travel as things get sorted and use to that life. Plus summers off so could spend some real time showing my kid the country and mom can fly in for weekends etc.

Thoughts why I Think this could be a good idea. I needed a tow rig, wanted something to stay out of elements for camping etc etc. like being different with something that still satisfies my tinker gearhead side. Party bus(this one at least) was a strip club van so the thing has a killer stereo, most of the inside lights/tv/electrical with batteries/inverters handled as well as a beefy rear AC system for the summers of dunes/heat locations. Saves me a few bucks having to add to another bus and not knowing a bunch saves me some anxiety having to figure it out. 87k miles 00 with a 08+ front swap 7.3. Paid maybe a bit much but reality is I can’t buy a low miles same drivetrain truck for $10k so here we are.

1 negative after looking at the van. And any shuttle for that matter I think. Is the whole process of any adventure build gone knowing that these boxes mounted on the chassis is connected to the van front pretty well. I can’t see this thing going over any real rough road without just tweaking the whole thing into a floppy mess which will never go back to before. Do people that have done this before not thought of this or just building for instagram and no functionality? All pics I have seen are freshish builds so no update on being an issue.

Hope the pics loaded. Super pumped on a solid longer term simple build and to do things a bit different than the norm. I LOVE this other rig posted to give me some insight.

Can’t wait to be more a part of this killer forum.
Attached Thumbnails
116FEE07-7106-4CDC-857E-4A3DF6CED4BA.jpeg   92F68C8B-1F8F-4676-9FED-46439D276E56.jpeg   3310B647-04B6-4B35-949A-8737C04C4C14.jpeg   F9C8D744-15A3-4DB7-BA39-3C32C7AC9ACA.jpg  

DannyGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:49 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Nice bus. I use my shuttle for towing a 20" enclosed trailer with 1sxs and 3 atvs on fairly ruff terrain and have No issues with the shuttle to van connection. I used bunk bed futons from walmart to sleep 6 people but it don't leave any room for kitchen or bathroom. Basically a fiberglass tent. Quality is pretty good on my startrans. What brand is yours?
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:27 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: FreightShaker
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 2 ATV's and friends
Looks like a good start, black could be a bit warm with the sun shining on it.

I think we may need a "Toy Hauler" thread...seems to be a few of them.
REDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:02 PM   #4

Well step one. Figure out what is what. So rip **** out.

Had random lights(rope/dome) throughout or things that didnt seem to work. The guy I bought mentioned the 1st owner towing a boat. Seems the majority of the more solid work was done by him. The main layout with ac etc. the stripclub guys were subpar a bit. Took out all the shoddy built front overhead that had a horribly mounted and finished in 40” tv. The wiring panel seems to be decent and usable. Thinking i may turn this into a small bunk/platform for my kid and possibly easy spot to toss bags and such. Hinged door on the side to cover the electrical panel. Metal, mostly open so while driving i’m not secluded behind a barrier. Thinking I should insulate the cowl cone area. Any thoughts what to use to maintain the majority of that cowl space vs a beauty wall covering it up? Going to blaze when sun is out.

Had a slough of wiring under the driver side knee panel. Satellite alarm and microphones for stereo and intercom maybe. Everything came out sinply and left the rest all nice and stock. Pfffeew got lucky the wiring job was a bunch of T splices and just unplugged. Fixed the broken coolant temp sensor. Also identified a trans oil leak to the oring at the stub tube on the trans so will fix that.

Took some measurements. Starting to see what can go where. Rear bed for us. Front over driver bunk for kid with possible driver side foldable bench to a full size. Pass side could be the kitchen type stuff and maybe seat spot.

See how goes. Find a 110v mig setup and start playing with some metal soon.
Attached Thumbnails
4BDEBC6D-9B1F-4A50-B073-BBE1A0A8237D.jpg   BEEE6279-7FB9-4C92-97EF-C1F65B643B12.jpg  
DannyGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote