Old 06-26-2011, 02:24 PM   #11
Coachwork: dunno
Chassis: na
Engine: na
Re: Newb Short bus owner:)..

ahh lol. well its name wont be windowlicker just the liscense plate..i think ill just go with "shorty". A name will come to me eventually So i found out basically the only way to AC your skoolie is either with the one with the vehicle (which mine doesnt have) or be plugged in to run one. This sucks because I plan a ton of my time to be spent in arrid regions and while I can handle the heat well, smeltering temps arent comfortable and I'd like to avoid them..

Can one run their generator while driving to power the AC?
willz0072002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:09 PM   #12
Bus Crazy
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

I run my generator all the time while driving , seems to work ok for me

my bus build viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5931
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:16 PM   #13

gb..awesome. Do any of you guys have your generators setup to a switch? I want one on the dash so I dont have to go outside and crank it up (i know ill have to get one with an electronic ignition right)
Old 06-26-2011, 10:26 PM   #14
Bus Nut
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14

I have run a small 5000 btu window unit with my honda eu2000i generator. I ran it for about 3 hours in the evening and then switched to just running a fan all night and it finally ran out of gas about 12 hours later. On a cold october night around 30 I ran the honda for 8 hours running a electric blanket all night and a space heater on low just enough to keep the inside of a van around 60 all night. On bus the little honda can't power up the big roof top unit I have. So I loud and bulky 6250 watt generator will sit on a rack on the back of the bus running while going down the road if needed. I have another loud 4000 watt generator but its design doesn't allow it to run going down the road, almost as if the wind sucks the air right out of it or something so that thing sits in the garage in case it is needed at the house.

And no switch here. It is done with an arm pull starting.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:33 AM   #15
Bus Geek
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

WMAH --- to run a genset (or any other engine for that matter) meant to be stationary over the will almost certainly need a "still air box" type intake. Easy to construct. I've used them both to feed air to 2-stroke formula racing bikes and to cool aircraft engines. A little Googling should get you what you need.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:17 AM   #16

thanks guys. I'm at the point of my conversion where all my plans (wiring, carpentry, layout) are done, and in the process of contracting my help (for welding my roof rack/platform, wiring my appliances, and carpentry work for the cabinets, floor etc. The work I am doing is of course the paint..I have decided to do a candy mandarin orange of a nice silver metal flake, and lots of airbrushed woodgrain (google it..I do a killer feaux woodgrain effect i love it) and am doing the inside 90% in feaux woodgrain. The roof will look like planked teak, and every accessory and stuff will be woodgrain with accents of pearl white and the custom orange. My best friend owns an upholstrey shop, so we're thinking like a peanut butter suede leather and black. This thing is going to be so sweet I cant wait. I have to finish some work (customers jobs) first and plan to really dig into the bus first week of next month, and go 24/7 until october when I plan to hit the road. I couldnt ever consider doing this on a short timeline, but its a shortbus, and I'm not going crazy with a bathroom, grey/black tanks, tons of appliances. In the bus will only be a small sink and reefer fridge, lights, tvs and the AC unit. I am pulling a pop up camper that is gutted and will house my porto toilet, camp stove, camp shower etc and will have all my storage and clothes etc. I couldnt do this setup without a trailer it's making the build much easier. Im glad the bus runs so superb, all I had to do was replace the heater core, and the rest of the bus is ready to hit the road (brakes new, tires, tranny and motor has 167k but my awesome mechanic said it runs so great dont bother rebuilding I'll be fine). I'll be updating like a madman here shortly with tons of pics..I am literally putting everything I have in way of resources and time into this rig it will be my pride and joy..actually it already is Im going to have a hard time parking it to tear down because I been driving it more than my daily driver lol..