Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #1

Year: 1999
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: gmc
newbie - ICE CREAM truck

new to this but have a short bus coming and greatly appreciates everyones advice

going to try and have a ice cream truck business with my kids

going to try and convert a short bus - photos below

1. need to get painted white - any advice, is maaco any good? don't have time to paint myself - any advice before i drop it off, expected cost, etc

2. need a way to power a couple deep freezes - ? inverter, generator, - any wisdom (only needs to run bout4-6 hrs per day

3. has some surface rust along the curbside black skirt and doors - advice on how to take care of

4. would like to get the visors over the flashing lights - any source - mine didn't come with and I like the look

5. need a couple hinges for the wheelchair door to modify it for a serving window - source?

many thanks and I'll post pics as progress is made
Attached Thumbnails
1.JPG   3.JPG  

docbdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: newbie - ICE CREAM truck

i think you will have to remove the stop sign, and identification that lists it as a school bus...
even though i do my own automotive painting for repairs, i have used maaco for a few cars. they do a good job as far as paint coverage, but charge a lot for prep work if you dont do it yourself.. i imagine around here that instead of a 350.00 cheapie paint job, a bus like that for the cheap paint would cost at least 1000. you need to take care of the rust issue before you would take it to maaco.
if you are going to run a gen set every day, get a good one.. not some 300. one from harbor freight..
Old 05-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

definitely go with a genset for the freezers. get a cheap quiet one and you should be fine. less $ then the engine idle.
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #4

greatly appreciate any wisdom

as far as rust just plan to sand it down - would you acid itch (if so with what) or use a rust converter on area before take to painter

as far as stop sign will paint yellow and put children caution wording on it (one town actually requires it)

as far as gen set - Model? and where to place it ?

need a couple of hinges to modify handicap door to serving window - source?

many thanks
Old 05-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

I would think that cobbling up some light visors would be pretty easy. Find some heavy steel or light aluminum stock (maybe an old street sign) and bend into shape.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711
I would think that cobbling up some light visors would be pretty easy. Find some heavy steel or light aluminum stock (maybe an old street sign) and bend into shape.
You've never tried to bend a sign into a skid plate I take it
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbdj
going to try and have a ice cream truck business with my kids. ..
In what state?

First off, you need to get your state regulations. Ice Cream is considered a "hazardous food". Many states now require you to have a commissary. SC seems to want you to have a restaurant and use the mobile unit as an extension of the restaurant . They want both business to be in the same persons name. GA loathes street vendors and does not want them in the state. Other states want you to have a commissary and that can cost you from $100 to $300+ per month. Some states (like NM) is pretty lax about their food regulations.

You need a big enough generator to power your freezers OR use a cold plate. Size your generator at 50% of the freezers surge for best fuel consumption.

You will probably need a triple bowl sink PLUS a hand wash sink with hot/cold water under pressure.

You may need to have a certified food manager (minimum is $100 or so but good for a few years). We don't need one for NM but we did for TX.

You may have to have everyone who handles food to have a food handlers permit. Again, not for NM but did for TX.

You will need to get a business permit from the city you vend in (varies by city, we currently pay $35 per month, Denny's etc pays $35 per year).

You will need a state permit from the health dept. Ours is yearly and good all over NM. Cost us $250/yr.

Food Regulations by State You can find most state regulations here. Some are dead links. That will take a bit more digging on your part.

BTW, SC is currently rewriting their regs and will be out in 2013.

I know all this because we are food vendors (NC, GA, TX, NM). Currently looking into ice cream (hand dipped in waffle cones). Easy in NM but a pita (or next to impossible) in GA & SC. Still looking for the next state to move to. Might end up back in TX. At least they don't have a burning desire to keep folks in a rut (except for a few cities).
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

removed light visors... in scrap pile....
Old 05-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Yup, I think I'll go propane with my genny. I looked over the specs on the HD genny and noticed they don't mention the db rating for the unit. That puts me off as I'd guess the thing sounds like a 747 taking off and they aren't proud of it! If you dont mind noise and won't be where you will get thrown out because of it the genny looks like a good buy. I wonder if it is possible to run two of these things in series thereby creating enough power for the start up of your frig/freezer?
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #10

any way to mount / vent the generator safely so not visible

? under vehicle or inside and vent to outside - safely?
Old 05-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
any way to mount / vent the generator safely so not visible

? under vehicle or inside and vent to outside - safely?
Biggest thing is to get exhaust away from any way for it to get inside,so you need a 100% sealed exhaust venting away from any vent that could let it inside,even if wind shifts.exhaust is not something you ever play with.
With enuf money or ingenuity(s/p) anything can be hidden.
Just make sure the exhaust can't be recirculated.
A pipe with a heat sheid painted like a straw would fit your "theme"
Just remeber safety first.
Raw Propane is heavier than air,so it settles,don't have it settle into an "enclosed" area where a spark froma leaky fitting could cause an explosion...that would be bad
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1939
Coachwork: Union City?
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 95hp Flathead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Quote:
Ice Cream is considered a "hazardous food".
That depends on if you are serving soft serve, or dipped ice cream or pre packaged ice cream "treats". Many of the rules that apply to soft serve and dipped ice cream do not apply as "treats" are considered single serve. In South Dakota you are not required to have sinks, serve safe, a commissary or any other special accomadations if you are only serving single serve items.

As for a serving window, a metal fabrication shop can make one up for you, or you can do like many vendors do, and just install a sliding aluminum household type window, although you would want to replace the glass with tempered glass or plexiglass.
SDJunkMan is offline   Reply With Quote