Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2018, 10:53 PM   #1

Newbie looking for information regarding buying a wheelchair lift school bus

Hello,

I’m looking to purchase a used mid-size 25-30’ wheelchair lift school bus to convert into a RV. What engine/transmission combination would best suit me as I will be using this RV tiny home for traveling (highway, mountains, varies regions) ? Also I am interested in purchasing from a school district auction or site ie govdeals.com publicsurplus.com or onlinepros.com as I am located in Texas Any recommendations, tips?

JasmineR29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:07 PM   #2

Year: 2000
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466E
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineR29 View Post
Hello,

I’m looking to purchase a used mid-size 25-30’ wheelchair lift school bus to convert into a RV. What engine/transmission combination would best suit me as I will be using this RV tiny home for traveling (highway, mountains, varies regions) ? Also I am interested in purchasing from a school district auction or site ie govdeals.com publicsurplus.com or onlinepros.com as I am located in Texas Any recommendations, tips?
I bought my bus from PublicSurplus.com for really cheap. The ad said it had bad floors but that was fine with me because I'm replacing it all anyway. Mine is a 2000 International 3800 with a Navistar DT466E engine and an Allison AT545 4-speed automatic transmission. I've had it up to about 65 mph on the highway and it has performed well. My bus is 25' long with a wheelchair lift on the back passenger side (I will be removing this and selling it because I have no use for it). My advice would be don't nickel and dime for the cheapest bus because it will most likely cost you more in the long run. Best of luck!
CullenHydraulics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CullenHydraulics View Post
I bought my bus from PublicSurplus.com for really cheap. The ad said it had bad floors but that was fine with me because I'm replacing it all anyway. Mine is a 2000 International 3800 with a Navistar DT466E engine and an Allison AT545 4-speed automatic transmission. I've had it up to about 65 mph on the highway and it has performed well. My bus is 25' long with a wheelchair lift on the back passenger side (I will be removing this and selling it because I have no use for it). My advice would be don't nickel and dime for the cheapest bus because it will most likely cost you more in the long run. Best of luck!
Okay that sound really good. I
Will keep this information in mind. Thanks
Old 04-21-2018, 08:57 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Navistar International
Chassis: amtran 3000
Engine: t444e
Rated Cap: 77
patients

hey be sure to ask questions I think its best to be sure it has good tires on top of a good engine and trans of course tires can cost as much as the bus also ask for all the service records that helps to know your bus
and like for me i found that patients will be your best friend in getting the best bus/price
it took me 2 months
good luck
2002Amtranvacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002Amtranvacationer View Post
hey be sure to ask questions I think its best to be sure it has good tires on top of a good engine and trans of course tires can cost as much as the bus also ask for all the service records that helps to know your bus
and like for me i found that patients will be your best friend in getting the best bus/price
it took me 2 months
good luck
Thanks for responding and I will definitely check tires as well and take my time I’m in no rush.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CullenHydraulics View Post
Thanks yes I’m looking for the same type of bus so I’m just watching the auction sites for the best one.

Tags
#skoolie #busconversion