Old 08-29-2019, 02:54 PM   #1

Newbie needs a bus! Please Help!

Hey yall,

I'm a newbie to the skoolie.net community and I am feeling very overwhelmed. My nephew (currently 15) and I are planning to take a trip around the U.S. and Canada for a couple of months when he graduates....thankfully, that's still 3 years away, but I'm a planner and I like to be prepared.

We need:
  • a short bus (due to parking space constraints)
  • something with a good amount of head room (my nephew is already 6'3 and still growing)
  • enough space for a toilet and shower
  • enough space to sleep 2 on a regular basis (bunkbeds?) and 4 for short periods of time (some type of fold out couch?)

Does anyone know of a model we should be looking for? Should we go for a short school bus or a shuttle bus? My nephew and brother are planning on converting the bus to electric, while I'm in charge of the inside.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
KatTravels
KatTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:24 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
The height is going to be an issue if you are looking for a school bus. You may want to look for a limo bus or a shuttle bus. I’m pretty sure Turtle Top and Krystal Koach have bodies that have a higher ceiling.
Danjo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:26 PM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatTravels View Post
My nephew and brother are planning on converting the bus to electric

Where will you charge it??? Each electric bus owned by a city transit system, school district, or airport shuttles have their very own, dedicated charging station. I've seen public charging stations at shopping centers, but none that you could park a 24 foot bus at. Also, it seems like the cost of the conversion would exceed the fuel costs of gas or diesel to circumnavigate North America several times.

Your plan is short term..."for a couple of months when he graduates". buy a used RV, and sell it after the trip. The bus will cost 10s of thousands, and have a very limited market when you're done with your trip, if it can be sold at all.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:45 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
my nephew is already 6'3 and still growing
A lot of buses are 6'5" or 6'6" down the middle, but if you're planning to insulate the floors and ceilings you will either have to raise the roof or encourage your nephew to slouch. Or get a low-floor diesel (like a city bus).

Converting the bus to electric is solidly in the crazy category.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:53 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Converting the bus to electric is solidly in the crazy category.
I read that as “doing the electrical” converting to an electric motor lands in the Limitless Funds and Time category, not to mention finding charging stations. Yeah, not advisable.
Danjo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:02 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
I read that as “doing the electrical”
I hope that's what she meant.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:41 PM   #7

Awesome! I'll definitely have a look at those models. Thank you so much!
Old 08-29-2019, 05:56 PM   #8

Going Green

Haha, nope, we're thinking of converting it...I think it's crazy too, but my brother and nephew are adamant they can do it. I told them they have to convert a car for my nephew before I'll even consider letting them do it to a bus. It would be amazing if they can do it in a cost effective way, but if they can't, that will also be good to find out as it will affect the shape the bus is in that we buy.

I realize I may not have given enough info in my initial post...After we return from our trip, I'm playing around with the idea of living in it long term so I can rent my house out and get it paid off as quickly as possible. My last apartment before I bought my house was only 300 sq ft. and I honestly didn't even use all of that most of the time, so I'm pretty comfortable living in small spaces.

Budget is definitely limited...$12000 all in is where I'd be comfortable.

I do have a friend who is in school for welding...does anyone have any experience with raising the roof of their bus? Was it worth it?
Old 08-29-2019, 06:36 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
I think it's crazy too
As a joke, I sometimes like to talk about my plans to make a skoolie out of a surplus Soviet ekranoplan. Converting a used school bus into an electric vehicle is in roughly the same category of probability. Especially when your total budget is $12,000 - you would be extremely fortunate to bring in a conventional skoolification for that little.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:04 PM   #10

������ I’ll let you know how it goes haha. I told them I thought it was a lot more involved than they think... my preference would be to snag something that is mechanically sound...lol they can try with the car and we’ll see if they are still motivated after that

Tags
bathroom, short bus, short bus conversion