Old 03-16-2019, 07:02 PM   #51
Mini-Skoolie

Have you had any issues with the roof rack.

Will you be going to the Missouri van life show by chance.
Dr mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:38 AM   #52
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Engine: 6.5L Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr mac View Post
Have you had any issues with the roof rack.

Will you be going to the Missouri van life show by chance.
The roof rack has been pretty solid. If I get time this Summer I will likely extend it to cover the whole roof and mount the solar panels on the front of the rack and add decking or something to the rear for storage or lounging.

No, we won't be able to make it. We will have already left for Overland Expo in Flagstaff by then. Looks like a cool event though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazdconfsd View Post
I wasn't aware that they'd changed the weight ratings that significantly in the 2003 refresh? The 2003+ 3500 chassis I've had have been rated at ~12,000lbs. If it's still there, there may be a sticker on the drivers door that has the ratings or BlueBird might still have the records.
They might not have changed it much, I am operating off of memory. My wife and I are in Mexico right now in our old 4Runner so I can't inspect the door sticker plackard for confirmation. If GVWR is 12,000, I feel much better about coming in around 10k.
Married couple full-timing in the American West-April 2018
zelseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:27 AM   #53
Bus Crazy

The E-350 and G-3500 van/cut-away chassis are normally rated at about 12,000 GVWR.

The E-450 and G-4500 van/cut-away chassis are normally rated at about 14,000 GVWR.

What the difference is between the two chassis I have no idea. Back in the day I had two 1990 E-350 chassis mini-buses and one 1994 E-350 chassis mini-bus. The two 1990 had 11,900 GVWR and the 1994 had 13,900 GVWR. The brake parts were identical. The spring packs looked identical even though the newer one had the ball joint Twin-I-Beam suspension instead of the king pin Twin-I-Beam suspension. I used the same tires and wheels on all three buses. All three had 4.56 rear gears. All three had the 7.3L diesel engine. The only difference was the 1994 was one row of seats longer than the other two. Why an extended wheelbase would increase the GVWR 2,000 lbs I have no idea.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:03 PM   #54
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
It's not just the gvwr. You have to look at the gawr and even down to the individual tire load ratings if you're that close.

The bus here is likely identical to yours.
https://www.purplewave.com/auction/151216A/item/BR9417

It has a gvwr of 10k lbs, but the front is only good for 4100.

Some people disregard weight ratings. I don't advise doing that.

A lot of people with full sized flat nose front engined busses will go over the front weight rating without even realizing it.

Just some food for thought.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:31 AM   #55
Almost There

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Chevrolet Express 3500
Engine: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
It's not just the gvwr. You have to look at the gawr and even down to the individual tire load ratings if you're that close.

The bus here is likely identical to yours.
https://www.purplewave.com/auction/151216A/item/BR9417

It has a gvwr of 10k lbs, but the front is only good for 4100.

Some people disregard weight ratings. I don't advise doing that.

A lot of people with full sized flat nose front engined busses will go over the front weight rating without even realizing it.

Just some food for thought.
I wonder what the difference is in the Bluebird build vs a Thomas? I see the tire pressures listed are 10lbs off in the front, but otherwise I'm at a loss

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...36&acctid=4211
dazdconfsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:25 AM   #56
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Engine: 6.5L Turbo
Funny enough the Thomas placard shows load range D and mine definitely has 10ply tires.

Most of my weight is centered over my rear axle anyways, I would venture to say that I have reduced weight in the front from the standard configuration. My remodel this summer will redistribute the weight more forward between the front and rear axle for better handling.

I can't imagine what could be different between the two builders to justify the GVWR difference of that much. I will likely split the difference and stay around 11k and not worry about it.
Married couple full-timing in the American West-April 2018
zelseman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4-window, 6.5l, chevy, diesel, shortie