Old 06-14-2017, 02:40 PM   #31

Where is the neutral from the A/C connected?

Connect it to the shore power / generator neutral and not the Xantrex inverter/charger neutral output.... I had the same problem with a Honda 2000i, Xantrex, and 9200 btu A/C unit which had the same symptoms...

If that works I can explain
Magneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:08 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
For some reason, my last couple posts didn't show. Sorry for the delay. I'll try again. Back to BlackJohn's post. There are 4 positions on the A/C knob. The first position is the fan only. The second position starts the compressor along with the fan. The next two positions keeps the compressor going and increases the fan speed. So when I turn the unit on the first position (fan only), it works fine. It's the second position that the generator breaker trips and the A/C shuts off. The Breaker in the bus does not trip. I'm pretty sure I have ruled out all the other possible issues. I have wired the generator/shore power directly to the A/C. So the pos, neg, and ground for the A/C is wired directly to the gen/shore power. I flipped the breaker to the inverter, so there was not any voltage pulled away from the A/C. I have sent my champion generator back and have ordered a Honda that everybody is saying will run the A/C no problem. I will let you know how this all works out. Thanks for your help!
nevittja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:57 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Well, we have a success story! I received my Honda 3000 generator and tried it out on the bus. The A/C fired right up and stayed on. I added the TV and another fan to add to the power pull. I guess you can't believe all the marketing that these companies tell you. Ha. Champion was sure that their 3100 generator would power the A/C. Just not enough power to do it though. So far the Honda has much more power, and even though the sound rating is the same as the champion it is quieter. Thanks for all your ideas and help. I tried to rule everything out, and I should have started with the generator. Until the next issue .....
nevittja is offline   Reply With Quote