Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2019, 12:22 PM   #1
Skoolie

Priorities, and a shorty, maybe...

Okay so I don't want to wrestle a 40' bus or RV around on road trips, but I want more space than a 4 row cutaway chassis shorty will offer.

I am looking, although somewhat casually for I believe something like a 6 window, without any sort of wheelchair lift. I know a tall order...

And maybe a skoolie isn't exactly what I need, but hear me out on what I am trying to do...

I need something that is first and foremost, roomy enough to fit in the following features.

#1. Comfortable drivers / passengers seating.
#2. Minimum 6' 6" interior height, 7' preferred.
#3. King bed. This can be, and probably ought to be a folding arrangement to do double duty as a sofa. I do NOT however want to arrange a dinette. To be blunt I am fat and dinettes are too space limited.
#4. Onboard kitchen with fridge, at least 2 burner stove, oven. Maybe a Microwave, maybe not... sink with hot and cold water and gray water collection tank.
#5. Wet bath / shoilet. This can be a folding arrangement in the vein of the way some pop up campers do this, and double up for more seating.
#6. Dining area. Again folding bed and a sliding table arragement maybe?
#7. Work space for 2 laptops.
#8. Solar, lots of solar and storage.
#9. Heat and AC. Small enough space, insulated well enough that an 8K BTU window unit and a small fan can cover it. Heat wise planning on an Olympian radiant heater.... Again small fan to move air around.
#10. Broadcast TV and high speed internet. So 4G signal boosters with a cellular modem (got that already). Need to figure out how to piggy back on WiFi and repeat it from within my LAN in the bus...
#11. Already mentioned this, but water storage, fresh, gray, and black.
#12. Onboard water heating. Can be an on demand type heater...

Would a shorty bus like a 6 window work, should I consider looking at step vans, or what am I looking at?

dbhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:18 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Engine: 6.5L Turbo
If you were really creative with the space and planning you could get all of your needs in a 6window with a roof raise. I don't think you will find a stock shorty with 6'6" standing height stock, much less after insulating the floor...which you should do.
Married couple full-timing in the American West-April 2018
zelseman is offline   Reply With Quote