Old 07-23-2011, 04:36 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Chassis: E350
Engine: 7.3l Powerstroke Diesel
Rear AC info?

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how the rear ac works in my bus. My bus is a partially converted '96 e350 shorty with a 7.3l powerstroke. Manufacturar is Thor; brand is Eldorado. The AC -- both front and back -- is not blowing cold, just cool. Do the coolant lines run all the way from the front of the bus, or is there a seperate system added by the aftermarket manufacturer, Eldorado? If so, where would I find the recharge/testing ports, and would the same system of tests and diagnoisis for the vechile itself apply to the additional AC unit? Or am I totally off base here? Also, does anyone know how to get ahold of service manuals for these kinds of vechiles? If I could find one it would make things much easier to work on.

Cheers,
Tim
timmygyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:24 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Her, me and Molly
Re: Rear AC info?

The short answer is, probably both run from one compressor on the engine. I would guess that the charge ports are in the engine compartment along with the filter drier ass. If the engine has to be running for the air to work that is probably the situation. And the most likely. I would guess that you are low on freon.Does your bus have the nose of a standard E350 like a class C motorhome,(ie;cab and chassis} or is the complete body on a chassis? There are so many ways for these companys to do things it's a little hard to give a good answer.
That being said my 40ft Bluebird has two cooling units inside that are two separate units controlled by one control but there are two compressors on the engine. The possibilities are endless

Quote:
would the same system of tests and diagnoisis for the vechile itself apply to the additional AC unit?
yes
Quote:
Do the coolant lines run all the way from the front of the bu
probably
Quote:
does anyone know how to get ahold of service manuals for these kinds of vechiles
There won't be a manual that covers the whole vehicle. Eldorado might be of help, but I wouldn't count on it.
A Ford E350 book will be the most help for anything that Ford built, The air conditioner, at least the rear one was installed by Eldorado but purchased from some aftermarket company. There should be a tag somewhere on the unit with the name of the manufacturer.

Come to think about it,I have hauled Eldorados out of the Salina plant and I think they are all cab and chassis units. Most of these things are custom built for each customer and depending on how large the order is and what is ordered they could come with any kind of equipment.

Not much help, but most of the equipment isn't really that unusual and a lot of parts are kind of generic.

Dick
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Goshen
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 25
Send a message via AIM to Stuff Send a message via MSN to Stuff

it runs off the engine. you must use both units (dash and rear air) at the same time to prevent blow off of the AC system.

pump is like a standard vehicle, behind drivers door there is a the grated area at the lowest part of the bus. that is the ac coolers. normally found in the grille of a vehicle.

My Youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/thestuffz
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

If its like mine, (and I bet it is) Eldo started with a cab+chassis and tee'd into the orignal lines installed by Ford.

my bus build http://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:47 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: E350
Engine: 7.3l Powerstroke Diesel

Hey everybody, thanks for all the replies; I'm really sorry it took so long to get back to you all, but things have been really hectic -- in the process of moving. Anyway, here goes...

somewhereinusa:

Yes the bus has a standard ford nose; I guess it sounds like everything is probably running off of one compressor, which I suppose is good. I actually wrote eldorado about the manuals, but I'm really not expecting to hear anything out of them...I had kind of wondered if maybe there weren't any proper manuals given the custom nature of the buses. I'll definately get ahold of an e350 service manual though.

Stuff:

Okay, so you're saying that both the rear AC and front ac should be going when I test the AC, right? Thanks for pointing out about the side grill; I was wondering if that was what it was.

sdwarf36:

Yup, it's a cab and chassis. Teed into the existing lines huh? Interesting...

Ascend:

Hey thanks for the input...though I'm feeling a bit sheepish now that I didn't mention that the bus has had a roof AC installed already... I guess the reason I want the other one working is that I don't plan on doing a full conversion...yet. I just don't have time to put in an integrated generator/battery setup. So when I'm on the road, I'm gonna need the vechile AC...though I can use the rooftop when I'm parked.
timmygyu is offline   Reply With Quote