Old 03-17-2014, 06:56 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Re: Replacing bus door with storm door???

Another option is to run your measurements through the inventories of new & used rv/camper doors. There have been a number of folks who managed to find the perfect fit and many others who found something close enough that only very minor work was necessary to make it work. And many of the better ones come with an inside screen, main window, latch/lock and often even a smaller & lower "curb view" window. Just saw a ton on Ebay. Also check with some of the used rv parts houses. Lots of goodies out there. Good luck with it.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:44 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Foam core residential entry door, plain slab are around $100.

No door knob holes, no window. Cut to height, drill knob holes, attach with a piano hinge.

Windows and inserts can be cut in anywhere. I would install one with a opening window with screen, and built in blinds. However a insert with all that cost almost as much as the door.

All it takes is a few metal pieces formed up to make the opening.

Good R value for a door , and quicker than making your own.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:29 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango
Another option is to run your measurements through the inventories of new & used rv/camper doors. There have been a number of folks who managed to find the perfect fit and many others who found something close enough that only very minor work was necessary to make it work. And many of the better ones come with an inside screen, main window, latch/lock and often even a smaller & lower "curb view" window. Just saw a ton on Ebay. Also check with some of the used rv parts houses. Lots of goodies out there. Good luck with it.
I've been looking at ebay, but mine is 30x80 with curved top , its taller than most on ebay and the shipping is killing the ones I do find. I will call my local RV dealer for something in the back room.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:31 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster
Foam core residential entry door, plain slab are around $100.

No door knob holes, no window. Cut to height, drill knob holes, attach with a piano hinge.

Windows and inserts can be cut in anywhere. I would install one with a opening window with screen, and built in blinds. However a insert with all that cost almost as much as the door.

All it takes is a few metal pieces formed up to make the opening.

Good R value for a door , and quicker than making your own.

Nat
Seriously considering this route..
FYI I found brand new rotors on craigslist for half what new costs!!
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote