Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2017, 04:31 PM   #521
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I agree with Chris in the use of JB Weld. It would be better to have a hillbilly fix on that cover and be able to use it than to just park it and wait until you can afford to do it "the right way."

I also thought everybody would laugh, but JB weld has saved my but more than a few times.
I did but didnt want to mention but jb weld has come through for me quite a few times.
Even in a high pressure application?
Long story short?
I slid a 360 excavator in a wet ass ditch and almost on its side and when I went to use the boom to push it out it blew a hydraulic piston cap?
Went to the parts store and of course it had to be ordered and I said that tractor has to be out of there ASAP so they sent me back to a man I knew in there machine shop and he looked at the ear/bolt hole broken off of my aluminum part and reach over on his milling table and handed me a hand full off alum. Millings and said mix it with job weld,bolt everything up lightly with a piece of paper under to keep it from getting into the piston and pull the paper in the morning tighten it up and get it out?
That was almost 16-years ago and that excavator still runs and works flawlessly to this day with job weld.
There's not to many times I use it but when I do I go to a machine shop and get a handful of millings for whatever material I am working on.
Same idea?I ended up working on a backhoe where a new operator put a piece of rebar through the oil pan and the mobile mechanic couldn't get his truck to it so he wouldn't do it.(of course it was a mud hole)
Went to the same machine shop got a handful of steel millings and some JB.
That oil pan ain't leaked a drop in around 10-years.
Not saying it's a permanent fix or the right way to go but if in a bind to fix something like a pinhole in an aluminum waterway I would do it again.
Never tried to be cheap but never really had money either.

Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 04:35 PM   #522
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Well you all can suggest the jb weld all you want, but I'm simply not going to jerry rig my cooling system with it.
This needs to be addressed NOW, it doesn't need a band-aid. What if its leaking INSIDE the damned cover?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:59 PM   #523
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
just finished reading about the leak. hope things work out.
good luck brother
Old 12-20-2017, 06:26 PM   #524
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Gotta wonder if the cool/cold weather has anything to do with leaks popping out all over. Seems counter intuitive in one way, bur hey...metal shrinks in the cold (???).
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:14 PM   #525
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Gotta wonder if the cool/cold weather has anything to do with leaks popping out all over. Seems counter intuitive in one way, bur hey...metal shrinks in the cold (???).
Maybe.
Not too cold here though. 60's mostly. Its been warm more or less since the bus has been here. 50's at the lowest, I think.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:05 PM   #526
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
is there a Christmas Bus party at EC's?
-Christopher

I'm leaving the WanderLust with Charlie while I fly out to CA. She's going to get her rust taken care of [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:12 PM   #527
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderWoman View Post
I'm leaving the WanderLust with Charlie while I fly out to CA. She's going to get her rust taken care of [emoji4]

And maybe a roof vent!?
Old 12-20-2017, 10:17 PM   #528
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
And maybe a roof vent!?

And that too [emoji4]
And some time with my favorite people. My tribe. I'll be in a short time. When I'm back from California I have unlimited days with you. Yay!!

WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:07 AM   #529
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
my leak turns out to be easy... loose hose clamp on the hose going into the Tstat.. for some reason the clamps on this 444E like to work loose every few months.. I used brand new ones when I did the radiator update this spring. and after a month i did a 1/2 turn on the large ones.. and now need another 1/2 turn. maybe the metal stretches.. i didnt mark the position to see if they are unbolting..

my bus had sat for a week in cold weather while i was on a work trip so it was good and cooled down.

im going to track down my DT466 manuals today so I can get them for EC.. the best idea of how big a project this is, is to look at the step by step teardown and rebuild for it.

I have oncommand 2014. data which runs on windows but its huge.. 7 gigs i think. i'll look in that and see if it has the 466E in it.. i think it does.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:26 AM   #530
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I had a copy of the Navistar ISIS (ISIS wasn't a bad word until recently!) but it may have been the most awful useless piece of trash software I've ever used. I hated it so much I gave away the laptop it was installed on.

Glad your fix was a simple one!
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:37 AM   #531
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
my leak turns out to be easy... loose hose clamp on the hose going into the Tstat.. for some reason the clamps on this 444E like to work loose every few months.. I used brand new ones when I did the radiator update this spring. and after a month i did a 1/2 turn on the large ones.. and now need another 1/2 turn. maybe the metal stretches.. i didnt mark the position to see if they are unbolting..

my bus had sat for a week in cold weather while i was on a work trip so it was good and cooled down.

im going to track down my DT466 manuals today so I can get them for EC.. the best idea of how big a project this is, is to look at the step by step teardown and rebuild for it.

I have oncommand 2014. data which runs on windows but its huge.. 7 gigs i think. i'll look in that and see if it has the 466E in it.. i think it does.
-Christopher
lol just jb weld the clamps!
Old 12-21-2017, 08:53 AM   #532
Bus Geek

Quote:
Beautiful execution, and Charlie sticks the landing. 10/10.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:24 AM   #533
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Awesome comment

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:17 AM   #534
Traveling

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
JB Weld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
I did but didnt want to mention but jb weld has come through for me quite a few times.
Even in a high pressure application?
Long story short?
I slid a 360 excavator in a wet ass ditch and almost on its side and when I went to use the boom to push it out it blew a hydraulic piston cap?
Went to the parts store and of course it had to be ordered and I said that tractor has to be out of there ASAP so they sent me back to a man I knew in there machine shop and he looked at the ear/bolt hole broken off of my aluminum part and reach over on his milling table and handed me a hand full off alum. Millings and said mix it with job weld,bolt everything up lightly with a piece of paper under to keep it from getting into the piston and pull the paper in the morning tighten it up and get it out?
That was almost 16-years ago and that excavator still runs and works flawlessly to this day with job weld.
There's not to many times I use it but when I do I go to a machine shop and get a handful of millings for whatever material I am working on.
Same idea?I ended up working on a backhoe where a new operator put a piece of rebar through the oil pan and the mobile mechanic couldn't get his truck to it so he wouldn't do it.(of course it was a mud hole)
Went to the same machine shop got a handful of steel millings and some JB.
That oil pan ain't leaked a drop in around 10-years.
Not saying it's a permanent fix or the right way to go but if in a bind to fix something like a pinhole in an aluminum waterway I would do it again.
Never tried to be cheap but never really had money either.
That's a crazy-good endorsement. I never used the stuff myself, but I will be picking up a tube after reading about your experience.

Reminds me of this guy

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:39 AM   #535
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
I've never "tried to be cheap" either. It just comes naturally.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:06 AM   #536
Bus Geek

I totallt Love it!! and if the darn things dont stay tight I will LocTite them!!

ISIS did suck.. OnCommand sucks but its browser based.. tyou need ie or compatible and need to turn on all scripting abilities for it to work but the info is in there..

I found a brand new sealed DT-466 mechanical manual .. not sure its the same service procedure though.. looks like there are differences on the E v s the mechanical.
-Christopher
Old 12-21-2017, 11:20 AM   #537
Bus Geek

pulled up my OnCommand and searched for TSI's on this engine.. and got a hit... I dont have software that lets me print to a PDF reliably under windows.. so i took screen shots.. let me know if you can blow these up and read them..

ill summarize here.. TSI 04-12-23RA. international released a coolant sealer conditioner kit to service engines leaking at front covers..

the gist of it is that ELC coolants were not compatible with the seals on the front covers and caused them to leak.. navistar part number 1850155C92 is a kit of 26 tablets you put in your coolant.. 20 of them for a normal vehicle, 26 for a large cooling system like a bus .. it specifically states to use it only once even if you change your coolant dont apply it again.. and that it does not invalidate any warranty and is designed as a lasting repair...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2604.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	17981

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2605.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	17980

-Christopher
Old 12-21-2017, 11:23 AM   #538
Bus Geek

Mmmm, coolant candy.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:28 AM   #539
Bus Nut

Chassis: Step Van
Engine: Prefer Diesel
Rated Cap: 14'-16' Step Van
Now, how do u know if that ever got done. If not....that could be the cause. If it did.....? Atleast u seem to have your humor back ECCB
Almost peed myself on JB weld tha clamps
Doug
Old 12-21-2017, 11:35 AM   #540
Bus Geek

I also found the manual pages on the front cover removal.. the front half of it is pretty easy pull.. the rear half is a pretty large tear down... you have to pull the head.. as the camshaft must come out which means the lifters need to come out and that requires the head off on this engine.. .. so thats why its a $5k repair its half an in-frame right there to get at the inner front cover... I can see why if you have never torn an engine down before why it might be a daunting task to replace both covers..

I also noted that throughout this engine;s life there have been several front cover replacements.. although the only TSI i saw for needing a new pair is related to a different HPOP and not to coolant leaking.. though ive seen forum posts about an updated cover (as youve seen).. so im sure its a multi-faceted thing.. i didnt read every TSI.. there are a bunch.. as there are for any engine..

I can give you TeamViewer access to that machine if you want to mess around in the onCommand manuals at all until i can get you a copy of the file..
-Christopher