Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2017, 11:40 AM   #541
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
it wouldve never been done unless it had leaked previously and they had access to that TSI... and shouldve applied the sticker.. my guess is it probably never got done.. the nature of a TSI is that it is not a recall so its not widely published out... the only time it is discovered is if someone takes a vehicle to the dealer with said complaint and the dealer searches it.. or the school-barn has the manual set and searched for it.. my guess is that since said bus completed a 1000 mile trip without leaking that this issue never occured on it before.. or if it did, it was quite minor and was ignored.. as many minor coolant leaks in hot climates are blown off.. ie driver sees coolant below add line, has mechanic add some.. (yeah we live in a climate thats in the upper 90s every day.. coolant boils off...) even though it couldve been a minor leak that just never dripped enough on the ground to notice..

it obviously wasnt flooding the ground like it is now or shaun wouldve only made it a short distance before the temperature alarm came on..

and believe me you get an 'E' series engine warm and it lets you know about it.. it beeps and screams and flashes multiple lights at you..

-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:46 AM   #542
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
Mmmm, coolant candy.

cadillac required a similar product on all of their HT-4100 engines from 1982 - early 85 builds.. I fixed more than one leasky HEAD gasket woth cadillac's product.. and it worked.. in the case of caddy it was a maintenance product, so if you had a significant coolant loss they suggested you flush, refill and re-add the product.. PITA for a busted hose.. but otherwise the engines had issues..

not that the 4100 wasnt one of GM;s WORST blunders ever..

unlike navistar where the DT was onbe of the best in the business..

-Christopher
Old 12-21-2017, 12:20 PM   #543
Bus Nut

Chassis: Step Van
Engine: Prefer Diesel
Rated Cap: 14'-16' Step Van
Was it not ECCB that was talking bout mini wood stoves a little back? If so CubicMini is having a Christmas sale 30% off. Got the Grizzly cheaper than the Cub runs normally.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f51/cu...tml#post240456

Doug
Old 12-21-2017, 12:54 PM   #544
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
IDK about using sealant. Seems Navistar didn't want to spend the money to actually fix these engines.
Last time I ever used "radiator stop leak" it did so much more damage than it did any good. I swore it off. I've never had any luck with "quick fixes". Maybe if I were selling the bus...
I don't see how a sealant would stop a leak as bad as this one. the video doesn't fully illustrate how much it loses. Lost about a half gallon taking it a quarter mile down the road.
Man, Chris, you're way better at finding stuff than I am, I tell ya what!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:55 PM   #545
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderWoman View Post
And that too [emoji4]
And some time with my favorite people. My tribe. I'll be in a short time. When I'm back from California I have unlimited days with you. Yay!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-2017, 01:26 PM   #546
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
IDK about using sealant. Seems Navistar didn't want to spend the money to actually fix these engines.
Last time I ever used "radiator stop leak" it did so much more damage than it did any good. I swore it off. I've never had any luck with "quick fixes". Maybe if I were selling the bus...
I don't see how a sealant would stop a leak as bad as this one. the video doesn't fully illustrate how much it loses. Lost about a half gallon taking it a quarter mile down the road.
Man, Chris, you're way better at finding stuff than I am, I tell ya what!
im. normally not a fan of sealants in a rad either... this one came from navistar... sure sounds like though that this sealant would be more designed toward a slow leak.. I only found it because I was using the navistar Service-manual system and i searched for anything coolant related.. its not online so it wouldve been tough to find online..
the front half of the cover pull looks straight forward... you dont even have to touch the gears.. so perhaps the solution is you get it apart, look for metal damage on both halves... sure seems like everything im reading is that the rear half doesnt get damaged.. itsa only replaced because of an updated part..

find a good front portion.. install it with correct coolant, AND this sealant.. and be on your way..
-Christopher
Old 12-21-2017, 01:41 PM   #547
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Son in law had a cracked block on little S10 years ago. Asked me what to do so we added some sealant and it worked for as long as he owned the truck, roughly another two years. And it was pissin' out like a race horse!

Front cover is a must to get off to diagnose further. I don't think it's the back cover at all except to clean it up. Shouldn't take to long with help so city won't get on your case.

Loved the humour CB re the JB weld for Chris, glad you are back man!

John
Old 12-21-2017, 01:51 PM   #548
Bus Geek

I'll have to find out what's involved in getting the harmonic balancer off. I know you have to heat it AND pray to get it back on.
Is the oil pump inside or outside the inner cover? May as well slap a new oil pump in there while its off, if I can. Anything replaceable that can fail should probably go.

I really need that oil analysis kit to get here. I've only got maybe 20 miles on this oil, though. The old oil is gone. Definitely no visible signs of water/coolant in the old stuff, though.
A compression test and a coolant pressure test should be done. I've had a fine mist of blowby smelling of coolant since I got the bus. Just a fine mist. MAYBE its the hotshots additive I put in the oil. That stuff smells kinda sweet. But I don't think it is.
Could the orings around the water area on the front cover failing cause coolant to get in the combustion area or otherwise into the blowby tube?
Old 12-21-2017, 01:54 PM   #549
Bus Geek

My humor returned once the finance minister aka Roxy informed me that, in fact, we CAN afford to fix the bus. Now I'm not feeling so stressed.
I got rid of two projects to get something nicer, newer, and something I hoped would be less of a project.
Whatever it takes to fix this thing, it'll be worth it. Passing Jimmies and Whites on grades will totally make it worthwhile! lol
Old 12-21-2017, 02:10 PM   #550
Bus Crazy

Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Whatever you do keep that Finance minister forever!
That oil analysis is critical to this fix, I think it will comeback good as afar as coolant not being in it.
The oil pump would be down in the sump or pan no?
Harmonic balancer might be tough but doable once rad is out of the way.
Once she's done right you'll be doinn 6 days on the road for sure.
I'm even feeling better about your situation from afar, sure wish I could be there to wrench with you man.

John
Old 12-21-2017, 02:18 PM   #551
Bus Geek

the coolant can only get into the oil a few ways.

1. head gasket or cracked head - usually leaks directly into the cylinder and gets burned.. if it was bad enough to see in the blowby id expect to see it in steam / smoke at the exhaust or smell it in the exhaust..

2. cracked injector cup - same as #1 ends up in the cylinder directly..

3. leaking cylinder liner - coolant drains directly into oil pan. id expect to see signs of it in the oil.. - water droplets when you crack the drain plug, murkiness, etc..

4. one of the inner channels on that timing cover is leaking coolant into the timing gears area.. again id expect it to end up in the oil directly and show signs of it.

5. cracked block - again ends up in the oil pan pretty directly.

6. bad oil cooler.. id expect full mix.. oil in the coolant and coolant in the oil.

I cant think of any other places where coolant and oil can get together in a DT466E.

-Christopher
Old 12-21-2017, 02:18 PM   #552
Bus Nut

Chassis: Step Van
Engine: Prefer Diesel
Rated Cap: 14'-16' Step Van
Fired the finance minister here 6 years back. Kept being told finances dont work for this or that. Now I roll like the US, spend till your done(then eat ramen)

MERICA

Doug
Old 12-21-2017, 02:37 PM   #553
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66
Haven't been keeping up 100%... but is the cover cracked or pinholed due to cavitation?

Can the cover be repaired (as in cleaned and TIGed)? At that point, it would just be labor and gaskets/seals. I've seen timing covers repaired/welded many times and never have an issue out of them.
Mr4btTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 02:43 PM   #554
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr4btTahoe View Post
Haven't been keeping up 100%... but is the cover cracked or pinholed due to cavitation?

Can the cover be repaired (as in cleaned and TIGed)? At that point, it would just be labor and gaskets/seals. I've seen timing covers repaired/welded many times and never have an issue out of them.
no way to tell if theres damage until its apart.. the damage seems to occur on non visible parts of the cover from what im reading..

its aluminum..

-Christopher
Old 12-21-2017, 03:08 PM   #555
Bus Nut

I'd venture to say that it's cavitation related then. You can certainly repair an aluminum case. If it's cracked... Clean it up. Drill the ends of the crack... grind it out and TIG it up.

I'd get it parked and pulled apart. Is the leak coming from the case itself or could it just be a gasket?
Old 12-21-2017, 03:21 PM   #556
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Not to interrupt the subject, but has anyone heard from Debbie? I'm hoping she didn't pick up her unicorn and end up broke down somewhere.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:31 PM   #557
Bus Nut

Here are some used front covers. Some say inner and outer available and prices don't look terrible.

https://truckpartsinventory.com/fron...l-dt466e-parts

How can you tell if the cover has been updated?
Old 12-21-2017, 07:01 PM   #558
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr4btTahoe View Post
Here are some used front covers. Some say inner and outer available and prices don't look terrible.

https://truckpartsinventory.com/fron...l-dt466e-parts

How can you tell if the cover has been updated?
the pasrt numbers are different from what navistar states.. so once you pull one out you can cross the part number with yours against the books and see which you have.

the biggest thing here is this bus should come apart.. i didnt realize the leak was so bad.. so the tablets are likely not gonna help.. the gasket is either completely destroyed or the cover is damaged..
-Christopher
Old 12-21-2017, 08:36 PM   #559
Bus Crazy

Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
My humor returned once the finance minister aka Roxy informed me that, in fact, we CAN afford to fix the bus. Now I'm not feeling so stressed.
CFOs rarely give you good news.....you should buy yours a beer.

Glad things are trending upwards again.

Don
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:35 PM   #560
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Whatever you do keep that Finance minister forever!
That oil analysis is critical to this fix, I think it will comeback good as afar as coolant not being in it.
The oil pump would be down in the sump or pan no?
Harmonic balancer might be tough but doable once rad is out of the way.
Once she's done right you'll be doinn 6 days on the road for sure.
I'm even feeling better about your situation from afar, sure wish I could be there to wrench with you man.

John
Oil pump is behind timing cover, runs off crankshaft I think.
The finance minister is here to stay for sure!