Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2018, 02:31 PM   #821
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
For around 8 grand you can get a reman longblock, maybe even with turbo and freshly painted blue oil filter.
But I'm not looking to spend more than a few grand on it at this point.
Totally get that but it puts things in perspective. Brand new engine = $50k then an $8k band-aid is semi reasonable. Brand new engine = $4k and you can shove your $8k timing cover up yours arse!!

Quote:
Its still gonna need thousands worth of other parts like tires, air compressor, fuel tank, etc...
None of those are needed during a build and you can junk yard dive for those one at a time. Don't nickel and dime yourself to death but don't let it sway you too much either.

Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:43 PM   #822
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
But it was a tuesday. Maybe you had a snow day??
Hmm, you're right. It wasn't snow tho. Don't think it ever got canceled the few times it snowed in Tallahassee. Would say teacher planning day but that would have been a Monday/Fri I think. MLK was the Jan 20th that year, not the 28th. I dunno why I was out.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:13 PM   #823
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Well cold does something, The auxiliary water pump gasket on my 1987 mercedes 300td leaks when it is cold. loosing a pint a night. Not a drip when it is running.
IMHO pull the front of a see what you got. You can still junk it afterwards. You can get a feel for what is going by just removing the waterpump and peek inside and get a feel for the corrosion. The covers used are not expensive so I would not see why you can not get this back together for under $1500. If the back cover is good or with minor welding can be made ok then I would not touch it. I almost never put new parts on an old engine unless they are less then $150.
later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:22 PM   #824
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
My reading shows me that gaskets are no longer used in fitting the front cover back on, in that dt466. There is a new grey color sealant and presto, it's good again. Easy peasy, loosen it off and inject from a tube.
So many inexpensive ways around this problem.

John
Old 01-03-2018, 03:29 PM   #825
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
There are 2 kits of gaskets on my parts list. One for the front cover one for the rear.
Maybe the newer ones didn't have gaskets but this engine has o-ring type rubber seals and so does the updated cover set.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:42 PM   #826
Bus Crazy

Quote:
You probably have two whole legs!
If I knew these Navistars were junk and every bit as expensive as a Cat (or more), I'd have bought a Cat. I've always heard great things about them other than repair costs. But from what I can find, the engine I have is oddly one of the more expensive medium duty engines there is to fix.
Believe me, you don't have to point out how stupid I am or how I can't get my mind straight. I know all that. But you were wrong when you said I bought this bus because of "ego". I may be talkative and very opinionated but I don't think most folks who really know me see me as egotistical. Probably, if anything, its my lack of a huge ego and brutal honesty that tend to define me. well, that and my incredibly handsome good looks.
Yup two good legs, two bad feet, run over by an 8000 lb forklift. I thought those ere good motors but definitely have CAT experience, not just in the bus game. Heavy equip, marine and standby gennys, awesome CAT machines.
My apologies though if I hit a nerve so to speak but you are always the first to call CAT engines down with no real experience I could see. Let people make their on minds up and do their research.

I was young once like you and ego had a lot to do with one's ride. You wanted a chick, you had to get a cool fast car. My how I have changed, except for my good looks too, lol
Still love cruisinn though and nice rides of all sorts.
Charlie, get this thing fixed. It's not beyond your skill set and a chance to learn some more adaptable schools.
Here we are, 2 Scottish dudes havinn at it but only good intentions meant.

John
Old 01-03-2018, 03:49 PM   #827
Bus Crazy

Quote:
There are 2 kits of gaskets on my parts list. One for the front cover one for the rear.
Maybe the newer ones didn't have gaskets but this engine has o-ring type rubber seals and so does the updated cover set.
Yes, no doubt they want to make money on parts, but others say this sealant lets you throw gaskets to the curb when torqued properly. They clean the threads out for the new bolts, lube the holes and bolts,even under the bolt heads and do the torquing then, back them off and retorque it all and put things back together.
Gaskets are dear if MSL so up goes the estimate. Dig?

John
Old 01-03-2018, 04:38 PM   #828
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Sorry to hear you've received so much negative comments on this subject. Why not try a self fix? If you're actually considering backing out of this bus it really doesn't matter if you scrap it with half the engine in cardboard boxes or on the engine. If you take it apart you'll likely fix it at a fraction of the dealer cost. Even if it doesn't work, you've still got a good 466 core.

You've still got a number of choices. There are but loads of mechanics on this site that can get you through your engine problems. You just did that water pump on the van and that sounded like a real beotch. This is unfamiliar territory for you, but is no worse. You have a camera and an internet connection along with several thousand readers, half of which have been mechanics at some point in their lives.

I look at dealer estimates as a menu from which I pick and choose the items I want a shop to fix. The easier items can be fixed at home later. Most old mechanics don't consider a gasket issue to be that big of a deal. You want this fixed professionally much like the occasional newbs want their buses built professionally. This situation is a lot like you telling other people that you could get them through a bus build even when they say they don't have the skills. This is something you can get through with some help. You've already got the skills. You just haven't done this particular job before.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:51 PM   #829
Bus Geek

Old 01-03-2018, 05:58 PM   #830
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
https://youtu.be/rCLrjF6feNg

Sent from my Life One X using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2018, 06:00 PM   #831
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by oricha1984 View Post
https://youtu.be/rCLrjF6feNg

You're awesome, Raul!
Old 01-03-2018, 06:02 PM   #832
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
Quote:
You're awesome, Raul!
Hopefully it brought up a smile.
Cheer up, you got this dude.

Old 01-03-2018, 06:04 PM   #833
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
It isn't the only reason, but it was a factor for sure. I've driven a few mechanical buses and the complex linkage and multiple springs make for a sore leg, especially when you try to do 8 hours on the interstate.
I wanted power, ac, and cruise control since this was to be used a lot.
Even the young guy that bought RYO said his leg was killing him when he got the bus home.
I can relate.

The mechanical linkage in my 40' RE Eagle drove me NUTS!! it was really stiff.

So, I installed an air throttle. Made a huge difference in driving comfort.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:29 PM   #834
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
leaking liners arent likely to cause coolant moistiure in the blow-by.. blown head gaskets can.. leaking liners p[uit coolant in the opil... the liner seals are at the bottom of the cylinder and arent in the combustion chamber..

im still going to say and sticxk to it that we really HAVE NO IDEA of the bad parts.. it could be $78 gasket thats cracked and broken.. thats whjy i asked how they came about the cover? oh because the TSI ewas released by navistar? or does he see metal damage on the cover..

this is 2018, these guys should be emailing detailed pictures and descriptions of how they determined a laundry list of parts needs replaced....
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:32 PM   #835
Bus Nut

I'm thinkin that a few ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZs may have done some good(-: Once the bus is in that $35. mo. lot, and broken down, You're on your way. Don't over look the idea of contacting local school districts, and shops, to see if one of their mechanics might 'moon light' with you. Hell, the idea of bartering, should always be considered too.

To hell with all this doom and gloom. You've got too many fans that are behind you, and willing to assist, even if from afar. Your towel ain't dirty enough to throw it in, so let's go. I can't wait for you to drive that bus to that "dealer" and just drive it around their lot. Maybe 4 times, or one lap for every grand you saved, by doing it yourself.

"Circle The Wagons"`
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:40 PM   #836
Bus Nut

Chassis: Step Van
Engine: Prefer Diesel
Rated Cap: 14'-16' Step Van
I SOO wish u were around this area (VA). My uncle used to own his own parts shop, was bought out, but he still runs it. He has his own garage with lifts and tools at his house. Works on tractor trailers. That and I would let you park behind my house as long as u needed. Dont know this shawn guy u keep saying doesnt want non running vehicle in his yard. BUT, as long as you didnt leave parts everywhere and make it look ghetto, a real friend would understand and HELP.
Doug
Old 01-03-2018, 07:48 PM   #837
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
leaking liners arent likely to cause coolant moistiure in the blow-by.. blown head gaskets can.. leaking liners p[uit coolant in the opil... the liner seals are at the bottom of the cylinder and arent in the combustion chamber..

im still going to say and sticxk to it that we really HAVE NO IDEA of the bad parts.. it could be $78 gasket thats cracked and broken.. thats whjy i asked how they came about the cover? oh because the TSI ewas released by navistar? or does he see metal damage on the cover..

this is 2018, these guys should be emailing detailed pictures and descriptions of how they determined a laundry list of parts needs replaced....
-Christopher
I agree. They're not even answering any questions, and for the $300 estimate I certainly expect a full diagnosis.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:01 PM   #838
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I agree. They're not even answering any questions, and for the $300 estimate I certainly expect a full diagnosis.

Would you get a full diagnosis without some tear down? I think not. They probably want three hours labor for time already spent if nothing got accomplished. No sense arguing, move it out, they are not deserving your business.

John
Old 01-03-2018, 08:07 PM   #839
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Would you get a full diagnosis without some tear down? I think not. They probably want three hours labor for time already spent if nothing got accomplished. No sense arguing, move it out, they are not deserving your business.

John
I know this, and that's been the plan. Should be going to get it out of their shop tomorrow.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:13 PM   #840
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I know this, and that's been the plan. Should be going to get it out of their shop tomorrow.
Really? Not what you just told Christopher above.

They might cut you some slack hopefully, good luck. Got a new space for it?

John