Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2018, 08:32 PM   #841
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
John,

I agree they cant give a full diagnosis without some work.. my point was only that they siomehow know that both timing covers, the oil pump, and other stuff needs replaced without explanation.. somehow they came to that conclusion without taking stuff apart... sure you camnt tell if a liner is leaking without dropping the pan and doing a liner leakdown test.. but the timing covers and oil pump... some kind of diagnosis was already done..

-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:54 PM   #842
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
John,

I agree they cant give a full diagnosis without some work.. my point was only that they siomehow know that both timing covers, the oil pump, and other stuff needs replaced without explanation.. somehow they came to that conclusion without taking stuff apart... sure you camnt tell if a liner is leaking without dropping the pan and doing a liner leakdown test.. but the timing covers and oil pump... some kind of diagnosis was already done..

-Christopher
I get that Christopher and that's a 300 dollar bill. They have seen it all before so follow the book as you have mentioned earlier, off the hook.
CB should be thankful they didn't rip it apart. Just like surgery, take this part out while they have you on the table.

New batteries today? Good now?

John
Old 01-03-2018, 08:56 PM   #843
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Really? Not what you just told Christopher above.

They might cut you some slack hopefully, good luck. Got a new space for it?

John
How so????
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:58 PM   #844
Bus Geek

Quote:
John,

-Christopher
ALL the estimate is for is the front covers and oil pump. That's it. That's even re-using the old water pump.
The oil pump is just a no brainer while you have it that far torn down.
I'm sure this isn't the first leaky timing cover they've seen. I bet they all leak at the same spot.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:03 PM   #845
Bus Geek

Quote:
I get that Christopher and that's a 300 dollar bill. They have seen it all before so follow the book as you have mentioned earlier, off the hook.
CB should be thankful they didn't rip it apart. Just like surgery, take this part out while they have you on the table.

New batteries today? Good now?

John
yeppers thanks to EC and telling me about Rural King.. Cool as heck store.... 2 new batteries and the bus fired right up.. new driver heater motor too.. now i can run the driver heater on high.. the motor windings were going bad.. would make the wires smell hot.. (found the school had put a bigger breaker in that position.. grr.. ). I never felt so much air come out of the driver heater on that bus before..
-Christopher
Old 01-03-2018, 09:11 PM   #846
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
How so????
If you read back, you said, waiting for a full diagnosis. Not happening for 300$. What else are you expecting for that amount?

John
Old 01-03-2018, 10:08 PM   #847
Bus Geek

Quote:
If you read back, you said, waiting for a full diagnosis. Not happening for 300$. What else are you expecting for that amount?

John
As in "tell me what exactly they think is broken and why".
All I got was a list of parts that aren't even 100% for my specific engine and now they're charging me about 25% more for the parts than when I called the day before dropping it off..
Old 01-04-2018, 06:32 AM   #848
Bus Geek

My last email to them-
Quote:
I'll arrange to get the bus out of there today. I can't seem to get anyone there to answer my real questions. Seems like a lot of nickel and diming with the charges and fees, and I don't appreciate getting a quote for an EGR engine, or the parts prices higher than I was quoted by your parts department for my specific engine.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:55 AM   #849
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
I think they really do not want to fix your bus and so they estimate very high
in the hope that you will go away. They looked up the maintenance records also. May be they feel that others things might go and do not want the liability to do this major work and have a chance of you bitching about the 0-rings in 6 months. You also do not profile as a good candidate to become a returning customer. Unless they are sitting around fiddling their thumbs they have better fish to fry unless they can make a lot of money in one shot.

good luck, j
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:07 AM   #850
Bus Geek

Yup. I kinda knew that going in, but with NO other shops wanting to even touch it my options were/are nil.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:34 AM   #851
Bus Geek

wow so no one else would even touch it? sure seems like florida lacks in diesel shops.. maybe in your area because its not on any of the major interstates with trucking routes?
-Christopher
Old 01-04-2018, 07:37 AM   #852
Bus Geek

Quote:
wow so no one else would even touch it? sure seems like florida lacks in diesel shops.. maybe in your area because its not on any of the major interstates with trucking routes?
-Christopher
IDk, there are tons of trucking companies and plenty of diesel shops but none of them want to give me the time of day. I hate dealers. Believe me- I wouldn't have gone to a dealer if it weren't an extremely shitty situation.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:51 AM   #853
Bus Geek

no I get it.. im with you.. I guess just total crappy attitudes at those other shops.. difference from around here ... im sure the dealer would be the same, though ive seen church busses at the local rush truck before.. i do remember another forum member who sent me a PM of a service order when he blew his bus up that the dealer wanted 27k to replace a VT-365...
-Christopher
Old 01-04-2018, 07:53 AM   #854
Bus Geek

Quote:
no I get it.. im with you.. I guess just total crappy attitudes at those other shops.. difference from around here ... im sure the dealer would be the same, though ive seen church busses at the local rush truck before.. i do remember another forum member who sent me a PM of a service order when he blew his bus up that the dealer wanted 27k to replace a VT-365...
-Christopher
LOL at least it aint a VT!
Old 01-04-2018, 07:59 AM   #855
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
LOL at least it aint a VT!
the VT is probably cheaper to fix than the DT0466..

I realize it doesnt need a reman.. but the 466 is more than the 365.. though you rarely ever have to replace a 466..

the 444E is the least expensive.. probably because it was a budget engine to begin with and there are so many of them still out there..

https://65ldiesel.com/product-catego...ional-catalog/

-Christopher
Old 01-04-2018, 08:03 AM   #856
Bus Geek

We have a 444e with a manual out in a truck that is at the scrap yard. idk what is wrong with the engine. it was in an accident. will ask about $$

later J
Old 01-04-2018, 08:05 AM   #857
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
We have a 444e with a manual out in a truck that is at the scrap yard. idk what is wrong with the engine. it was in an accident. will ask about $$

later J
he has a 466E in his bus not a 444E.. im interested to know the year. and what the HP rating of the engine in your yard is.. I might be interested in the computer if its a 210HP
-Christopher
Old 01-04-2018, 08:22 AM   #858
Bus Geek

my mistake typing error. it is a 466E. went there yesterday to see for myself how the waterpump is mounted on that engine and what would have to come of to remove the front and do a real diagnostic. Did not seem to complicated just takes time.

later J
Old 01-04-2018, 08:50 AM   #859
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
my mistake typing error. it is a 466E. went there yesterday to see for myself how the waterpump is mounted on that engine and what would have to come of to remove the front and do a real diagnostic. Did not seem to complicated just takes time.

later J
the front part of the timing cover is supposedly pretty easy to take off.. the balancer is a bit of a challenge on these engines but the tool can be rented..

EC's big issue now is finding a place to tear it apart where he doesnt either have a friend or the city down his throat.. if i were doing it i would also get an engine hoist and lift the complete radiator/ turbo cooler / core support outr at once... its what i shouldve done when i did the cooling upgrades to mine in the spring.

timing cover definitely is not a job i would complete in a day myself.. and seems all shaun or john want to give him is a day or two..

-Christopher
Old 01-04-2018, 09:00 AM   #860
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
yeppers thanks to EC and telling me about Rural King.. Cool as heck store.... 2 new batteries and the bus fired right up.. new driver heater motor too.. now i can run the driver heater on high.. the motor windings were going bad.. would make the wires smell hot.. (found the school had put a bigger breaker in that position.. grr.. ). I never felt so much air come out of the driver heater on that bus before..
-Christopher
You sure your batteries were going? At 7° my bus turned over VERY slowly with two 8D batteries that are brand new. I gave it 3 tries at about 5 seconds each. No dice.

Plugged the block heater in at lunch and went back at 4 o'clock. Warm to the touch so it much have been 70 or warmer. The air temp was up to 28°. Fired right up on the first try and ran like normal.

You're a smart kid when it comes to electronics so I'm not too worried but just hoping you didn't throw out half way good batteries that would get you thru another year.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote