Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I've yet to see anyone chime in with actual advice about the specific problem. Just the continual suggestions of JB weld.
Again- If anyone has a manual they can share, or has any firsthand knowledge about this specific repair of a 2000-2004 DT466E I'd love to hear from you.
$19 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Internation...-/162505817751
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:28 PM   #802
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
Noob question, up to now I've always read that the DT466 was the preferred engine. Now it seems that the thread is moving the opposite direction...

Sent from my Life One X using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2018, 12:43 PM   #803
Bus Nut

Chassis: Shuttle or Shorty. Still hunting
Engine: Prefer Diesel
Rated Cap: 14 to 24 pref
A "prefered" engine is one that is running, and not in need of any kind of repair. No matter the make/ model.
I too have read this engine is a good one. BUT i believe the all mechanical one is the "bulletproof" one. Im still learning too. I have been looking for a shuttle bus to convert. Then I started looking at shorties. I do think I may stick with the shuttle search( i am much more confident in my abilities in repair on more "typical" engines). BUT I am hoping beyond hope SOMETHING gives and CB gets this resolved. Personally, I would talk to anyone and everyone to find a place to work on it. Even a months rent somewhere to tow it to and work the problem. Good Luck CB!
Doug
Defjr333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:47 PM   #804
Bus Geek

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by oricha1984 View Post
Noob question, up to now I've always read that the DT466 was the preferred engine. Now it seems that the thread is moving the opposite direction...

The pre-electronic ones were great. These "E" models not as much.
Problem is, my leg can't take sustained driving with the mechanical engines. The pedal is just too stiff.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:02 PM   #805
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, AT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Problem is, my leg can't take sustained driving with the mechanical engines. The pedal is just too stiff.
Please tell me this isn't the only reason you chose your bus to be powered by an E. There has to be a spring or something that can be swapped out.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:14 PM   #806
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defjr333 View Post
A "prefered" engine is one that is running, and not in need of any kind of repair. No matter the make/ model.
I could not agree more with your statement. Specially if you are some one that doesn't know much about engines. ->ME
Does it really matter what you have under the hood as long as it takes you from point A to point B without trouble?

Charlie, although difficult, don't make a decision based on emotions. Maybe it helps to sit down and write things on paper.
Pros and cons to any decision that you make.
Regardless of it, think back when you bought your very first bus. You are more knowledgeable now.
Money comes and goes, life satisfaction is more important.
Buses, moppets, and children all bring joy (fire truck) and sorrows (dirty diapers).
Focus hard on the positive and push forward brother !

Old 01-03-2018, 01:14 PM   #807
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Please tell me this isn't the only reason you chose your bus to be powered by an E. There has to be a spring or something that can be swapped out.
It isn't the only reason, but it was a factor for sure. I've driven a few mechanical buses and the complex linkage and multiple springs make for a sore leg, especially when you try to do 8 hours on the interstate.
I wanted power, ac, and cruise control since this was to be used a lot.
Even the young guy that bought RYO said his leg was killing him when he got the bus home.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:15 PM   #808
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post

Mine has mechanical throttle and holds it there all day long, a pleasure to drive. No stiffness either in my pedal. Now, the clutch is a bit stiff, but these are trucks with bus bodies.
Shoulda bought a CAT!

John
Old 01-03-2018, 01:23 PM   #809
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Mine has mechanical throttle and holds it there all day long, a pleasure to drive. No stiffness either in my pedal. Now, the clutch is a bit stiff, but these are trucks with bus bodies.
Shoulda bought a CAT!

John
You probably have two whole legs!
If I knew these Navistars were junk and every bit as expensive as a Cat (or more), I'd have bought a Cat. I've always heard great things about them other than repair costs. But from what I can find, the engine I have is oddly one of the more expensive medium duty engines there is to fix.
Believe me, you don't have to point out how stupid I am or how I can't get my mind straight. I know all that. But you were wrong when you said I bought this bus because of "ego". I may be talkative and very opinionated but I don't think most folks who really know me see me as egotistical. Probably, if anything, its my lack of a huge ego and brutal honesty that tend to define me. well, that and my incredibly handsome good looks.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:25 PM   #810
Bus Nut

Chassis: Shuttle or Shorty. Still hunting
Engine: Prefer Diesel
Rated Cap: 14 to 24 pref
Nichols RV has storage for 30 days at $35. Get it towed there so u dont get slapped with a huge storage fee from dealer. Even if it takes a few months to get parts/ funds/ people together to fix it, it wont be as big a hit on that wallet. Just my $.02 CB. We all wracking our brains trying to come up with anything that may help. Hell, If i lived down there i would be trying to help in person( enuff ppl and tools can fix almost anything)
Doug
Defjr333 is offline   Reply With Quote